Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mt. Lassen Snow Camp

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 16, 2014 07:30PM
Spent the weekend camping at Emerald Lake, along the Lassen Loop road, and hiked over to Lake Helen. Pics...

Sulphur Works:

Mt. Brokeoff, from the saddle just north of Diamond Peak:

Emerald Lake

Mts Brokeoff and Diller, from the ridge above CA-89 as it reaches Emerald:

Lake Helen and Mt. Lassen:

March 17, 2014 06:36AM
Kewl. (and I put it here) (it's not Sierra but I could care)

Thx

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 17, 2014 11:07AM
Thanks for the trip report.

How crowded (or uncrowded) was it?

Did you come across any other backpackers or day hikers on this trip?

March 17, 2014 01:22PM
There was another backpacking party at Lake Helen, and a couple groups of day trip folks there. Lot more people just heading out to Sulphur Works, or up from there towards Ridge Lake. I also saw packed snow from what appeared to have been a campsite on top of the Diamond Peak ridge (the top of the recommended 'Ranger Cutoff' which avoids avalanche terrain along the road on the east side of Diamond Peak. Saw plenty of tracks heading out on the road from the cutoff, but no tracks coming from the road where the cutoff rejoins it. Also some tracks where people skied the slopes coming down from Brokeoff. Overall not very crowded, especially past Sulphur Works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 01:23PM by ttilley.
March 17, 2014 03:19PM
Thanks for the additional information.

Was wondering how our warm and mild late winter has been affecting visitation to our parks and recreation areas in California.

March 17, 2014 11:49AM
Sweet. Thanks for sharing. My wife and I were up there last September and stayed in the cabins at Manzanita Lake, it's a nice park.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login