Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Moonrise, Moonset

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 18, 2014 07:02AM

Moonset was just as nice... but harder to capture (I cheated)

Had fun out there
tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 18, 2014 08:26AM
I love that first photo!
March 18, 2014 08:35AM
Thanks for sharing.
March 18, 2014 08:51AM
I'm assuming these photos were taken very recently. Any comments about the snow-line?
March 18, 2014 10:02AM
Ya. It was a full moon-ish Saturday / Sunday. (there's a post in News area by Max)

Snow depends where u going and aspect. I'm certain a bunch of peeps thought they would go to
Merced Lake... got to Bunnell switchers... started going up and ... zoink... oopsie... there's snow here.
Forsyth gonna have lots of snow towards Sunrise.
Def. less snow than a few weeks ago... even with the storm that flew thru. Well.. on south aspect.
I barely touched snow atop Moraine Dome and ... that was it.

I dunno what u wanna know? Only brought snowshoes once this yr so far. And unless make tracks
for Bernice in Apr. trip with wife... I doubt will need them again. And even then the snow was just terrible.

Anywho... sorry too busy to do any proper TR

This will have to suffice

Had my eyes on this baby for awhile. Might just do it again soon it's so good.

Have fun

March 19, 2014 12:51PM
oh well that's cool. how was the dome just east of there from the trail above it looks like a cool spot? how bad was it to get up there?
March 20, 2014 07:12AM
steelcup
oh well that's cool. how was the dome just east of there from the trail above it looks like a cool spot? how bad was it to get up there?

You'll have to tell me what you mean by "oh well that's cool". Well... specifically the "oh well" part.
All domes are cool. So it was purty kewl. Lots of great erratics. Like Broderick, Liberty, Moraine, Helmet... they all have
"Cathedral Granite" erratics... which I just love. And a pretty neat one that Chuck Noris must have kaaaa-raa-tay-chopped.
It wasn't bad to get up there. It was good. smiling smiley
Walked by there so many times looking up... saying gotta go that-a-way.. That didn't go tooo well the last couple times
in there with the wife though... because we a come a down east of that there dome ... in the delicious goodness...
I prob. mentioned that before... and, well, yeah... um... she not soooooo pleased with me after that.
I took a picture of her while I went to go check out the Bunnell Avalanche... and I'm pretty sure you could see the
steam a coming out of her. (anywho... that was last yr or before... ) the couple photos above were last weekend.
Moonshots from top o Moraine.
w/r to getting up ... there's so little water right now... it was piece of cake... rock wasn't wet anywhere.
Didn't go all the way up to the trail... just skirted around... was mostly amused by this:

and I love this:

March 20, 2014 07:16AM
Here's what I was talking about...

(wifie not tooo happy... we come down that back there yonder)
set is here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/MercedLake

Brings home point... perhaps... how ridiculous little snow there is this yr... 2011 was pretty good... 2014.. yikes

March 20, 2014 01:25PM
Sorry it's just my horrible grammar, I meant: "Oh! Well that is cool!" (I had considered going up that way previously.)
March 18, 2014 12:32PM
Thanks chick-on. That last picture pretty much tells me everything that I was curious about. That and what you said about Sunrise. Just a pathetic snow pack.

I actually enjoy spring snow, to a certain point. Gotta go; times a melting!
March 18, 2014 02:50PM
Yeah. The spring snow may really blow though. No consolidation... just posthole pain maybe.
Just not a lot out there. Crazy. Might just go to Bernice just to get into some... although leaning
towards Tehipite or Benson or Deep Canyon in longer April trip.

Have fun

March 18, 2014 06:44PM
Here is a moon rise near Mount Watkins some time ago. Hope to have some new stuff to share soon.
March 20, 2014 07:19AM
Mr. Jim....
How about a moon FROM Mt. Watkins: (from 2004)

I had a monocle... and took zoom back then like so:

Z Poor Chick-on's Zoom Cam
smiling smiley

March 20, 2014 02:03PM
Wow, that is older than mine. Always cool to see stuff from the chick-on archive.
March 20, 2014 07:33AM
Otay... a few more I like (3D stuff will have to be much later)

Absolutely loved this view from about 1/2 up out of Lost:

Chuck Norris (I should look up the spelling) Bolder on top o dome:

Merced from above:

Ether Bunny arrived early:

(I got him in 3D too)

Funny thing about the bunny... was... I felt like I was in Monty Python later in the evening having dinner atop Moraine Dome...
all the sudden over the top of the dome... a hopping along... comes a bunny like this... I thought maybe he had sharp nasty
pointy teeth... luckily I spotted him b4 he got too close... and he ran away... it could have gotten ugly.

Have fun (and for the 1 millionth time... if u go... share some stuff... this forum sux if peeps don't post stuff)
And the dragon boy could say something about the up and whatnot... he was with me til about 1/3 way up out of Lost...
til he decided he had to go home and wash his undies or something...

tongue sticking out smiley

March 20, 2014 02:06PM
That bunny could have given you a flesh wound.

In case anyone hasn't seen the bunny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2014 02:11PM by yosemitejim.
March 20, 2014 05:57PM
You can't help but love Monty Python.
March 21, 2014 11:46AM
chick-on
Funny thing about the bunny... was... I felt like I was in Monty Python later in the evening having dinner atop Moraine Dome...
all the sudden over the top of the dome... a hopping along... comes a bunny like this... I thought maybe he had sharp nasty
pointy teeth... luckily I spotted him b4 he got too close... and he ran away... it could have gotten ugly.

President Carter had a similar problem:

March 21, 2014 02:54PM
As usual, mine isn't as dramatic. But here's one with Clouds Rest:

March 22, 2014 05:12PM
chick-on

awesome
March 20, 2014 02:29PM
I know this is not Yosemite, but here's a moonrise above The Watchman in Zion last May.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login