Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mist Trail-Diving Board-Valley

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mist Trail-Diving Board-Valley
March 19, 2014 08:54AM
Thank you to all who contributed to the recent Diving Board thread. I opted to take the route from LYV past Lost Lake. I'm happy I took this route as the 'trail' alongside Lost Lake was very enjoyable. For reference, I started at the trailhead right around 11:00am and went up the mist trail, which was free of ice, and I believe is now open for the season. I made it to the Diving Board area right around 4:30pm - taking plenty of pics along the way.

Here are some photos (some will looked under-exposed, but I'm trying this whole new HDR thing, and I haven't gotten around to it yet).

Vernal Falls from Mist Trail:

Nevada Falls

Lost Lake

From Diving Board area

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r697/Torero14/IMG_7913_stitch_zpsc5e79bd9.jpg

Selfie

Valley Photos

out of focus night shot

Well, I think that is probably already too many pics.

Thanks for looking!
avatar Re: Mist Trail-Diving Board-Valley
March 19, 2014 09:59AM
Torero14

Well, I think that is probably already too many pics.

Thanks for looking!

Not at all! Thanks for sharing them!

The look of the water flow of your second Nevada Fall pic is awesome, love that shot.

March 19, 2014 06:31PM
What Peter said! Feel free to post as many of these as you like...they're really stunning shots (especially love the 1st two of VF)! Thanks for sharing these.
March 20, 2014 06:57AM
Tanks for sharon

(you should mention the suit guy though.... and z wind)

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2014 06:58AM by chick-on.
March 20, 2014 10:26AM
Good point!

To add a little to the trip report...

When I first got to the Diving Board area it was completely calm--as was the entire day of hiking. However, just at the sun began to set the wind began to gust. At first is was fairly sporadic, but it began to get stronger and more consistent. By about 10:00 pm-- I wish that I had set camp lower, and more in the forested area rather then the somewhat exposed area that I had selected (I have a pic of the site that I will upload when I get back home). I have a Eureka Spitfire 1 Tent and I had to find fairly large rocks to place on top of the stakes--At times, the gusts felt as though they were going to take the tent...with me in it. I wanted to move the tent, but I'm sure that I would have lost something to the wind. I tried to change the directional position of the tent, but it was useless--the gusts were coming from all directions and in a swirling motion.

My advice would be to check the forecast for wind, and to find a protected area to set up camp! The wind continued through the morning and made packing up the tent a struggle around 9:00am.

Another interesting part of my trip was just around sunset, I saw a person walking along the cliff's ledge. I was interested in the route he took, and how long it took him--so I went over to talk to him (he was about 30 yards from my tent (and the cliff). After a little while of talking to him (he also took the LYV route)-- I noticed he had a very small pack and was losing light. I asked where he planned on camping to which he replied 'in the valley.' I suggested that he get started sooner rather than later. He said...'it's only going to take a couple minutes to get down.' Just as he was saying this, he pulled out a wing suit. I was more interested than I was concerned for any regulations that prohibit such activities. He said that he had over 10,000 jumps (and was previously a skydiving instructor). Still--watching him jump off the cliff and watching him free-fall made my stomach get that butterfly feeling. I watched as he guided himself in the Tenaya Canyon direction, opening chute just above the tree-line and swooping back to land on a beach in Mirror Meadow (lake). ...that was a first for me--has anyone experienced anything similar to that while backpacking?

As mentioned above...here is pic of exposed campsite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2014 08:14AM by Torero14.
March 20, 2014 11:24AM
Torero14

He said...'it's only going to take a couple minutes to get down.' Just as he was saying this, he pulled out a wing suit. I was more interested than I was concerned for any regulations that prohibit such activities. He said that he had over 10,000 jumps (and was previously a skydiving instructor). Still--watching him jump off the cliff and watching him free-fall made my stomach get that butterfly feeling. I watched as he guided himself in the Tenaya Canyon direction, opening chute just above the tree-line and swooping back to land on a beach in Mirror Meadow (lake). ...that was a first for me--has anyone experienced anything similar to that while backpacking?

Were you able to take a video of his flight?

March 20, 2014 12:45PM
No Video- But I held my camera over the edge and snapped a few pictures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2014 08:15AM by Torero14.
March 26, 2014 11:49AM
Cool shot! So small, really puts things in perspective.

(Didn't notice that you added the photo to your existing post. So I didn't see it until today. Thanks for sharing it.)

March 20, 2014 09:07PM
My advice for wind... in winter... expect that... calm during day... windy at night.
Especially at the top of domes and near the edge of the valley.
Even with "Winds Light and Variable" ... we've been smacked around.
So... I usually scope out a bail location... if possible... For me... I got REALLY
lucky when was camped on Z Board few weekends ago... absolutely zero wind.
This last weekend... atop Moraine... wind blew like no end thru entire night...
so I did a midnight move down 20 ft. out of the wind. Nice to have a bivy
where can pick up everything in one fell swoop. Forcast was "winds light
and variable"... (I even looked before plunking down next to tree)
If winds warning... then I try not to "have" to have a campspot with a view...

Got a number of wind stories... but I stand by "I HATE the Wind!"
smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 20, 2014 08:38AM
Awesome! Thanks for the report and photos. That one photo from the Diving Board with your hiking pole in view kind of gives me the heebie-jeebies, it's like I can feel the exposure. Not sure how much exposure there was at that spot, but the photo makes it seem like a lot. Love the photos.
March 20, 2014 10:30AM
In the picture just above the one you referenced is a photo of where that picture was taken from. You can see the granite changing from white to black... on the black there are two prominent points.. The photo was taken near the second point. The granite was steep--and I made the mistake of going there with my full pack on (~45lbs). I slipped on the way down and cut my hands a bit. My tent, strapped to the bottom-ish area of my pack, took the brunt. It ripped the stuff sack in areas--and through the fly as well. bummer. All that and the hiking pole was in the way!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2014 05:47PM by Torero14.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login