All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

snow conditions on trails
March 20, 2014 11:35AM
I am going to Yosemite next weekend, making plans for hiking and hoping to get an updated snow conditions in the following areas:

Little Yosemite Valley
Trail to Half Dome
Panorama Trail

Thank you all
avatar Re: snow conditions on trails
March 20, 2014 08:45PM
There's zero snow all the way past LYV ... past Bunnell Cascade... past twin bridges...
so... zip...nada... to LYV.

I only went a bit up Half Dome trail... but I can saw with pretty good certainty... that
there is nearly no snow all the way to the subdome... and even then... it won't matter
b/c it's melting quick... and a whole lotta peeps are going that way...
Heck, the cables may be completely free of snow by now.

Panny trail had snow 2 weekends ago... but it appears now that that is a non issue.
At least from the vantage I had. Def. no snow on the trek up from Illilouette up to GP.

This time of year... have never seen so many ppl out. Ridiculously crazy dry really already.

Gonna be one heck of a dry summer.

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 20, 2014 08:52PM
From last weekend:

Trail is over yonder... this is b/t Lost and Echo... Bunnell switchers... on right-ish...
It's actually not as bad as it looks.... I can see the trail up above.. and it's actually fairly open.

And here's the big old dome:

you can see where ppl went up thru the snow field.

Be safe...

March 20, 2014 08:59PM
Ok, one more from last weekend... entire area in question:

(taken at night)

You should be able to see panny trail there... it's got some snow... but... dang... it's only the first day of spring fo crimminy...

Re: snow conditions on trails
March 21, 2014 08:29AM
About a week ago there was some thick ice...very slippery about here. May be melted by now, but I know the other trail was free of ice. (Other trail).

Not sure if Chick-on knows if it has all melted by now?
March 21, 2014 09:56AM
Dunno about that. But purty much since mid Feb. LYV has been pretty clear...
There was that one storm... didn't go that weekend... that dumped...
Andrew did... and have fun there... but trail is non-issue really... a bit of ice
here and there.. but it's flat in those areas...
General rule of thumb is... for LYV... unless there is a LOAD of snow at the jct already...
then take the north trail... it will have much less snow due to less shade. Quite a
bit less actually. But right now... it's moot.

March 26, 2014 06:34AM
As expected... from last Sunday:

4 Mile was still closed and should be... the traverse is still covered in snow.
This guy wisely decided to not continue... (had neither hiking sticks or spikies)

North side of valley is void of snow... I have no idea where any reports of snow on that side are coming from.

March 26, 2014 10:25AM
From February... Chick-on's pics confirm that most of this is gone by now. As of about a week ago there wasn't much of any snow up to about 9,000 ft on the east side near Lake Sabrina. Not sure how the storm this week will affect things.

March 26, 2014 11:02AM
chick-on
North side of valley is void of snow

s/is/was/
March 26, 2014 10:43AM
After the gate at Aspendell

Emerald Lakes

Shoulder of Mt Haeckel

Lake Sabrina... it was really dry out there

Hoping I won't need snowshoes this weekend at around 7,000 ft.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login