Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: What temperature / season sleeping bag for June in Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

What temperature / season sleeping bag for June in Yosemite
March 24, 2014 03:07AM
Greetings from the UK

My climbing partner and I are coming to Yosemite for the first time and we have 1 big question..

What temperature / season sleeping bag would be appropriate for Yosemite in June?

I've heard lots of different things about different temperatures on the valley floor.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks
avatar Re: What temperature / season sleeping bag for June in Yosemite
March 24, 2014 03:59AM
I've see snow falling in the valley in June, I've also seen almost 100degF days in Jun.
Averages are HERE and HERE
I wouldn't expect to need anything special, it doesn't get very cold usually, but just in case bring an extra blanket if it's cold , and a bag that you can unzip if it's warm, and someway to keep dry in case it rains.
The week or so before your trip you can keep an out out at the forecast because you'll be able to get a much better idea by then.
NOAA - Hanford - Yosemite Valley Forecast
March 24, 2014 06:57AM
A 20 degree bag should cover everything. If it's too warm unzip and stick out of the bag. If it's too cold put more clothes on, socks, head cover, gloves, etc. Silk tops and bottoms work wonders for cozy control.

Old Dude
Re: What temperature / season sleeping bag for June in Yosemite
March 24, 2014 09:11AM
Agree with the 20 degree bag comment. That's what I use (in fact that's all I have) and if too hot, unzip, or too cold, put on my down jacket and wind pants (which I carry anyway).
March 24, 2014 10:02AM
anon60521

Greetings from the UK

My climbing partner and I are coming to Yosemite for the first time and we have 1 big question..

What temperature / season sleeping bag would be appropriate for Yosemite in June?

I've heard lots of different things about different temperatures on the valley floor.

If you're only going to be camping in Yosemite Valley itself (and not in the high country ABOVE Yosemite Valley), an accurately rated 30ºF (0ºC) sleeping bag will be sufficient for June. Cold snaps in June within Yosemite Valley are rare and very short lived — and as others suggested — if too cold just wear more clothing at night or throw a blanket over the sleeping bag. But I don't see any need for a warmer sleeping bag if camping just within Yosemite Valley (or at a lower elevation).

On the other hand, if you will be backpacking, or camping in a campground in Yosemite's high country, then I would recommend a 20ºF (-7ºC) or even 10ºF (-12ºC) if you get cold easily at night, sleeping bag. But within Yosemite Valley in June, a correctly rated 30ºF (0ºC) sleeping bag ought to be sufficient.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2014 01:52PM by plawrence.
March 24, 2014 02:00PM
I used a 30 degree quilt in January above Yosemite Falls. I wore my clothes and coat under the quilt, but I was almost too warm. In the high country (LYV) I used the same quilt in July. I wouldn't use anything warmer unless expecting cold winter conditions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login