All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

loop out of twin lakes
April 12, 2014 05:37PM
hey all,

quick/easy question: what's the mileage on the loop out of twin lakes - matterhorn canyon - Rodgers lake - Rancheria creek - back to twin lakes? I've been so inspired by posts on the subject area.

thanks,
mtc
Re: loop out of twin lakes
April 13, 2014 08:53AM
It depends on what route you would want to take. Here is a photo of a map I have that includes some distances:

If you take the route I have highlighted on the map below, I believe that the mileage would be about 53.6 miles.

Edited Mileage. 53.6 is the distance of the highlighted area. Don't know where I got the 62. Sorry!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2014 01:19PM by Torero14.
April 13, 2014 12:37PM
thanks so much. I can tell that you took the time to lay out your map, snap a photo, and post it here in response -- that's what I love about this forum -- people sharing their passion for the sierra Nevada!

I'm thinking about taking my family on this loop. my son (21) and I have done a couple week-long loops in Yosemite over the last several years and I am now trying to arrange sharing the experience with my wife and daughter -- car camping pro's, this would be their first real backpacking adventure. don't fret -- wife and daughter (18) are both quite fit and interested in seeing what dad has been so passionate about over the last several years.

that said, the "show stopper" would be the mosquitos -- that's why I'm thinking august. with all the lakes and streams, water won't be a problem on that loop, will it? probably not with all the lakes, but what about dry stretches? do the streams dry-up in late summer (especially with the light snow year)?

also gonna bring tenkara rods for some sierra trout action (and fine dining). ever since seeing the 12-14 inchers in mildred and south sunrise lake a couple years ago, I've been obsessed with the idea. which lakes along that loop are most fish-worthy? curious about what kind of "bear/varmint trouble" I might expect with the cooking over a fire. I'll certainly keep a clean camp, but will the aroma still draw-in the bruins? how do most folks handle fish cleaning, dinner clean-up and minimizing the "fishy" odors? since I'm of the ultralight persuasion, I'm planning on simply using the tinfoil approach to cooking.
avatar Re: loop out of twin lakes
April 13, 2014 09:51PM
mtc
what about dry stretches?

Expect Benson Pass to be dry, and I think the ponds on Seavey Pass were stagnant and unappealing. This was August 2012.

mtc
curious about what kind of "bear/varmint trouble" I might expect with the cooking over a fire.

Or ranger trouble. At Peeler Lake, you can camp outside of the Hoover Wilderness. (Both of the creek outflows will likely be dry by August.)
April 17, 2014 03:18PM
Sierra Miguel

At Peeler Lake, you can camp outside of the Hoover Wilderness. (Both of the creek outflows will likely be dry by August.)
There are two outflows Chick-on avec les pieds ??
April 17, 2014 03:26PM
Bearproof
There are two outflows ??

One to Rancheria, one to Robinson? I haven't seen the latter flowing, but I assume it does sometimes.
April 13, 2014 11:34AM
When we did this, it was just about fifty miles. And we met at least two scout groups who were doing the same route, to complete their 50 milehike badge...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
April 17, 2014 11:00AM
Several of us were in part of this area late last August. We went off trail down Slide Canyon and then up Camp Creek and over to Wilson Creek to descent to Matterhorn Canyon. If I recall correctly, Wilson Creek just below Benson Pass was dry. There might have been a tiny trickle there but just can't remember. We had already filled up at a tarn much higher up. Matterhorn Creek will be running in Matterhorn Canyon. I can't speak for the Seavy Pass area because smoke from the Rim Fire drove us eastward instead of westward which was our original plan. There was some water running in Piute Creek in Slide Canyon and that originates up near Burro Pass so you should find water between Mule and Burro.
Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login