Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hello! I'm a Yosemite Newbie!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hello! I'm a Yosemite Newbie!
April 17, 2014 11:48AM
Hey All,

I just got my campsite booked (upper pines) and will be road-tripping from Atlanta this late summer. I've been doing some research on Yosemite -- bought a few books. I'm a photographer and any tips that may not have been mentioned in Michael Frye's "Photographer's Guide to Yosemite" would be helpful!

For you veterans, were there any "gotchas" in that you guys came across during your first experience?

Thanks everybody and look forward to checking this site out more!
avatar Re: Hello! I'm a Yosemite Newbie!
April 17, 2014 11:52AM
After you see everything one can see from car access in Yosemite try some day hikes away from the maddening crowds. There are countless hidden photographic treasures on the trails.
Jim
April 17, 2014 03:14PM
While you will have plenty to see in Yosemite Valley where you are camped, do plan to get out of the valley if you can. This was a dry year, and late summer will mean low flow in the waterfalls in the Valley, and Yosemite Falls may/will be dry by the time you get there. Check out Wawona, Glacier Point, and Tuolumne Meadows...depending on how much time you have you could spend multiple days in the vicinity of each of the above. Sooo much to see!
April 25, 2014 07:56AM
How long will you be there?

Steve
April 25, 2014 10:45AM
Bring a bike and a cable lock if you can manage it. A bicycle is a great way to get around the valley without having to use a car and you can get away from the crowds quickly.
Re: Hello! I'm a Yosemite Newbie!
May 06, 2014 07:51AM
wgmann03
Hey All,

I just got my campsite booked (upper pines) and will be road-tripping from Atlanta this late summer. I've been doing some research on Yosemite -- bought a few books. I'm a photographer and any tips that may not have been mentioned in Michael Frye's "Photographer's Guide to Yosemite" would be helpful!

For you veterans, were there any "gotchas" in that you guys came across during your first experience?

Thanks everybody and look forward to checking this site out more!

Don't know exactly what you mean by "Gotchas" but if you mean needing advice on not having a gotcha from a bad experience here are some tips. Don't walk away from your campsite with any food on the table even to go to the restroom for a minute. The rangers will cite you for leaving food out if you are "more than an arms length" away from it. There are bear boxes you can use in each campsite. Don't leave food in your car either. No campfires in the morning. Only from 5pm to 10 p.m. Don't bring in wood from outside of Yosemite. You can buy it there. Watch your speed in the park especially the Valley where it's mostly 25 m.p.h. The free shuttle buses are a great way to get around the valley but plan ahead time wise if you want to be somewhere by a certain time as they are slow and only come about every 15 minutes and make lots of stops.

That was good advice about using bikes in the valley. There are many walking and biking paths in the Valley and using them is a great way to see the Valley. There are bike rentals in the Valley. The little newspaper they give you when you come in the park has a lot of useful info on where different services are located.

I find the best time to see the valley is before 8:30 a.m. as hardly anybody is around. And if you have to go to the village do it early in the day. But do go to the Visitor Center and see all the displays, and see the free movie there, "The Spirit of Yosemite."

If you mean a Gotcha as in something great that really grabs you, the view from Valley View turnout in the late afternoon is beautiful, as well as the view from Tunnel View in the late afternoon early evening. Also from practically anywhere in the Valley views of Half Dome are spectacular just before sunset as it turns yellow and pink. I'm sure your books will give you a lot of good info on photography spots.

It'll be hot in the valley in August so places like Tuolumne Meadows and Glacier Point are nice areas to get out of the heat. Glacier Point is a must especially before sunset. If you plan to hike carry PLENTY of water. Good idea to get acclimated to the elevation a few days before you hike uphill. A good starter and short hike is to the Vernal Falls bridge.

I hope I didn't sound like the Rangers are hanging around to ticket you for things and ruin your trip. They are not. They are VERY helpful, but they are very strict on food storage rules.

Feel free to ask more questions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login