Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Rockslides Trail & Diving Board (photos)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Rockslides Trail & Diving Board (photos)
April 23, 2014 11:45PM
Finally made it to Yosemite for the first time in many months this past weekend. The valley was a zoo on Saturday; I guess a lot of people came out for the fee-free weekend/Easter. We wanted a short hike, so we did the Rockslides trail up to Rainbow View. The viewpoint lived up to it's name. We saw quite a few rainbows in Bridalveil Fall in the late afternoon light. Ribbon Fall was also flowing nicely.

On Sunday, we hiked up to the Diving Board. We had intended to take the route documented by wherever up the gully to the west of Mt. Broderick but the slab above Emerald Pool look slippery and I wasn't in the mood for a swim. We went up the gully between Broderick and Liberty Cap instead.

Had great views of Nevada Fall on the way up

This huge detatched slab was a fun feature of the gully. The was a mostly shrubbery free line through the entire length of the gully.

After exiting the top of the gully and climbing up past Lost Lake, we reached the exposed traverse. There was really only one move, and it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Higher up views of the high country opened up. I really want to climb Mt. Clark...

The NW face is huge from here

And the view into Tenaya Canyon is awesome

On the way down, we decided to try a different descent line further west. Despite finding a use trail for part of the descent we eventually got into annoying small-cliff terrain and spent a lot of time on steep, shrubby slopes. The views of Nevada Fall were nice though.

We finally hit the gully west of Mt. Broderick around 6000 foot level and then thrashed around for a bit climbing back up and out to Lost Lake. Descent from there was the standard trail back to the JMT and then down the Mist Trail. Looking at the topo more closely, it looks like there was ramp somewhere east of where we descended that would have been easier. It was not readily apparent when we descending - the joys of descending a slope before ascending it.

Thanks to everyone who posted route descriptions and reports for these two hikes. They are among my favorite so far in Yosemite Valley.

Here's the GPX for Diving Board. It went a bit crazy in the Liberty Cap Gully, but should otherwise be fairly close to our actual lines. http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgICAr5f2CQw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2014 11:46PM by edg.
April 24, 2014 03:58AM
Great report. Thanks for posting.
April 24, 2014 10:05AM
Thanks for the pics and report. We didn't even go into the valley on Saturday but went to Taft Point and then later in the afternoon Glacier Point. Parking was all taken at the trail head parking so we parked along the road. No issue finding parking at Glacier later. Sorry no pics. My son and husband are the photographers in the family and they are still in their cameras and I don't touch their stuff.
avatar Re: Rockslides Trail & Diving Board (photos)
April 24, 2014 11:00AM
Sweet! That looks like a good time, thanks for sharing your trip and photos. Personally, I think I'm enduring my second longest ever "drought" for visiting Yosemite......... need to get back there soon.
April 24, 2014 11:55AM
Nice pictures! Thanks.
April 24, 2014 08:42PM
Nice report. Many thanks.
April 25, 2014 02:34PM
Great views of Nevada Fall. Thanks so much for posting.
April 26, 2014 08:52AM
Cool perspectives on your pictures. What a great hike!
May 20, 2014 12:09PM
Do you know what the mileage was for this route? Mist Trail or JMT to Lost Lake?
May 20, 2014 08:43PM
GPS was going crazy in the Liberty Cap gully, so the route I posted above is definitely overcounting mileage. My guess is around 12-13 miles RT. We took Mist Trail to Liberty Cap Gully to Lost Lake.
May 21, 2014 10:56AM
OK...I had read this report when you first put it on and I forgot that you went up the gully. I went JMT to the junction to Merced Lake, then over to Lost Lake. Did the exposed traverse past Snake Dike, then up to the Diving Board. But I think I followed the same path as you coming down...down through the brush, back up a bit to get back to Lost Lake, then the mist trail down. (May 13...chick-on, if you're still around...I made it!)

Anyway, edg, I was hoping that I'd get my mileage the easy way (your GPS...I didn't even take a map,) but we didn't go the same route.
May 21, 2014 09:59PM
Bowing to his greatness

Congrabulations HC. Ewe dew dat... Fairview def. dooz-able.
Yeah, still around... just not spending soooo much time. Can't not
Chick-on Bomb de Perret dough.

Have fun and a gr8 summa

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 28, 2014 09:40AM

13 May 2014 hike to the Diving Board. That is a photo-bombing swift in the upper left corner.
May 28, 2014 10:00AM
Nice photo! Very nice capture of the swift too.

Thanks for taking the time to upload it. (I know it takes quite awhile for you to upload a photo via dialup)

May 28, 2014 04:04PM
hikerchick395

13 May 2014 hike to the Diving Board. That is a photo-bombing swift in the upper left corner.

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login