Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Camping in TM and 1st time to backpack maybe

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Camping in TM and 1st time to backpack maybe
May 02, 2014 03:41PM
Hello all!

I've been pretty much only lurking for the last year or so while I've been injured and college-ing. But I'm back, and ready to get out on the trails and use my very expensive Environmental Studies and Outdoor Leadership degree.

We're tying the knot on July 4, and planning on heading up to TM for our honeymoon in mid-July. The general plan is to hope for a spot in TM from which we can camp and day hike, and maybe throw in an overnight beginner's backpacking trip.

I've read through the First Backpacking Trip thread, and as usual am amazed and thankful for all the awesome folks here with great advice. I'm tempted to do the Glen Aulin route for its ease of access and the views, but want to know if there's anything else I should add to the list of places to consider.
May 04, 2014 04:08AM
Not having been down Glen Aulin way (yet) I can't comment on that option, but your choices are of course dictated by the availability of W/P's.
Depending on fitness and time available, you may want to consider the JMT: there is a nice spot opposite Kuna Creek, or even as far as the small unnamed lake at the foot of the ascent to Donohue pass.
A shorter and less energetic option is Booth Lake. while there you could throw in a stroll to Fletcher lake (for a cold swim) or Vogelsang lake (for a very cold swim).
If you do choose Booth lake, look out for a black balaclava with red trim that I inadvertently left behind there two years ago.
avatar Re: Camping in TM and 1st time to backpack maybe
May 04, 2014 11:30AM
I wouldn't recommend Booth Lake in mid-July.

Booth Lake is notorious for its mosquitos. (It's the main reason why the Booth Lake HSC was relocated to Vogelsang.)

Even after a dry winter like this year, mosquitos will probably still be abundant at Booth Lake in July.

May 04, 2014 09:01PM
I'd try spending a few hours picknicking and sunning on the Lyell fork or the more-secluded, but less sunny, Dana Fork.
May 04, 2014 10:09PM
If you have a basic water filter, you can also consider Porcupine Flat as a base camp. There are often spaces available there when TM is full, Great hike down to North Dome from there...and an easy drive to May Lake and Mt Hoffman...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
May 05, 2014 10:51AM
The hike to Glen Aulin would be fine for your purposes. Most of it is relatively flat until you cross the first footbridge. Until then you will get a good dose of Tuolumne Meadows topography along a tame portion of the Tuolumne River. This will include views of several domes and crossing of a couple granite sheets next to the river. After the bridge is a several hundred foot descent to Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp and then onto Glen Aulin itself, which is another area of flat meandering river before dropping into the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. The descent from the bridge has some of the nicest series of falls you will find anywhere in Yosemite with many places to sit by or photograph the river scenes. Take time out to really enjoy this portion. You will also get a peak up Cold Canyon with views of Virginia Peak, Stanton Peak, and Whorl Mountain 11-12 miles north. Enjoy.
Jim
May 12, 2014 05:30PM
Thanks for the ideas.

I've done the part of the Glen Aulin hike back from the bridge a couple of years ago, when we did a jaunt out to see the Little Devil's Postpile, back in 2010:

It's nice and flat. I wouldn't mind going back that way and then out a bit further. Our timing is a bit in flux, so we might not be out there until late-July or even early-Aug.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login