Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Backpacking advice!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Backpacking advice!
May 09, 2014 12:45PM
Hi there!

Me and my buddy are planning a 2 night backpacking trip for the Glen Aulin Trail in the second week of June. I know that the trail is full, and I'm hoping I can get one of the walk- in passes. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this? We are planning to pick up the permits the day before, but we don't know how popular the trail is, and how early we should arrive. We plan to spend the 2 days hiking up to Mattie Lake and we want to ask if anyone has had experience with that trail during that time of the year? Like snow conditions? what gear is absolutely necessary? Maybe recommend what kind of sleeping bags we need? I'd like to know this, so that me and my buddy can start preparing. Of course any detours or recomendations on where we should visit is greatly appreciated. As for our experience, we did a 2 night hike to Ostrander Lake in early July 2 years ago, and it was one of our most epic trips. We're hoping this trip will be equally awesome if not, better. Any input of help would be appreciated! you guys are awesome! tongue sticking out smiley
May 09, 2014 05:56PM
I would guess that the snow will be mostly gone by then, unless more storms come. There will probably be mosquitos.

I never go out without 20F sleeping gear and enough layers to get me 10 degrees below that. Anything warmer runs the risk of getting you cold... it can snow any time the mountains think you need the challenge.

You can try for permits the day before, and if not successful try again the day of, at 11 am, when they start handing out the reserved permits that no one bothered to claim. You increase your chances of a permit by showing up midweek.
May 10, 2014 01:54PM
Thank you for your adviceI do have a 20F sleeping bag so I suppose I will be using that, I can always bring a hoodie and some warm socks in case it does get colder. My main concern is the weather, and hope that it will be sunny and warm from now till then. Can you get walk up permits prior to the day before? I spoke with the rep and they said we need to be there 11am the day before to grab the permit. Of course, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't get it. Are there any other trails you would reccomend for back up?
May 10, 2014 02:00PM
Vinc3ntwang
Can you get walk up permits prior to the day before? I spoke with the rep and they said we need to be there 11am the day before to grab the permit.

The rep is correct.
May 10, 2014 09:08PM
I would get out the map and plan alternates, if I were you. There are all kinds of options. Having them ready to shoot out - "what about Young Lakes? What about Mono/parker pass? What about Cathedral Lakes? What about Sunset trailhead toward Clouds Rest or Vogelsang? What about Glen Aulin passthrough instead of Glen Aulin?" in order of your preference is a good idea. In fact, you will walk in, look up at the board to see what's open and how many slots, and jump right on what's available.

That said, the times I have walked in, I have gotten first choice, for the day I walked in. That's how it can be for a group of one or two. People abandon permits at a pretty high rate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2014 09:09PM by AlmostThere.
May 12, 2014 01:12AM
Thanks for sharing your experience! We're pretty excited for Glen Aulin, but I'm sure anywhere in the sierras is beautiful.
May 10, 2014 10:48PM
Vinc3ntwang
a 2 night backpacking trip for the Glen Aulin Trail in the second week of June. I know that the trail is full

Here's a page about wilderness permits. It has a link to a trailheads map. Do you see any other THs that will get you where you want? There's a free shuttle from TM to Olmstead Point that can get you to some THs. I bet you could hop off that shuttle at Cathedral Creek and XC in, with the right permit, faster than you could hike from TM.
May 14, 2014 01:01PM
Murphy Creek trailhead is often available as an alternate access to the Glen Aulin area. At least I think it's Murphy Creek (near Tenaya Lake). I'm not at home right now and don't have my maps handy. Somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2014 01:03PM by tomdisco.
May 14, 2014 03:09PM
Tomdisco is correct. Murphy creek trailhead across from Tenaya Lake is a great alternative. It goes by Polly Dome then behind McGee Lake.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login