All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

2 or 3 night trip this weekend (5/15) recommendation
May 13, 2014 09:15AM
My girlfriend and I are planning to go to Tuolomne this Thursday or Friday for a 2 or 3 night backpacking trip. We usually just come prepared for 2-3 nights and go to the Wilderness center and see what's available. But I thought i would ask this group if anyone has recommendations at this time of the year for other spots in the Sierras. We're fairly fit and have taken backpacking trips in Yosemite. However, we're not equipped to deal with snow (no shoes, no skills, etc.). By the way, I've been a lurker here for awhile and appreciate all the advice and thoughts. thx in advance.
Re: 2 or 3 night trip this weekend (5/15) recommendation
May 13, 2014 10:12AM
There's snow in varying amounts above 9000 feet, still.

I suggest Merced canyon or the Buena Vista loop. be prepared for the impending onset of mosquito season...
avatar Re: 2 or 3 night trip this weekend (5/15) recommendation
May 13, 2014 11:37AM
It's still far too cold at night in the high country to worry about mosquitos. There were extremely few of them even down in Yosemite Valley (at the 4000' elevation) to be concerned about this past weekend.

Mosquitos won't be making a major appearance in Yosemite's high country until June at the earliest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2014 11:49AM by plawrence.
avatar Re: 2 or 3 night trip this weekend (5/15) recommendation
May 13, 2014 11:48AM
slowpoh

My girlfriend and I are planning to go to Tuolumne this Thursday or Friday for a 2 or 3 night backpacking trip. We usually just come prepared for 2-3 nights and go to the Wilderness center and see what's available. But I thought i would ask this group if anyone has recommendations at this time of the year for other spots in the Sierras. We're fairly fit and have taken backpacking trips in Yosemite. However, we're not equipped to deal with snow (no shoes, no skills, etc.). By the way, I've been a lurker here for awhile and appreciate all the advice and thoughts. thx in advance.

Just a serious reminder, while it's the middle of spring in the rest of California, at the higher elevations of the Sierra (8K and higher) it's still should be considered to be late winter during this time in May.

Last Saturday afternoon the high temp for Tuolumne Meadows was 40ºF with snow flurries and the temps quickly dropping below freezing after nightfall. Be prepared to deal with trails obscured by snow in shady or north-sloping locations and also for high-water in spots due to the snow melt. Warm waterproof footwear is a must and I'll also be sure to take along a 15ºF (or better) rated sleeping bags.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login