Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: snow at Young Lakes?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

snow at Young Lakes?
May 17, 2014 03:57PM
I'm taking my neighbor on a trip to Glenn Aulin next Thursday. He want an easy trip. I'd like to go up to Young Lake on the way back but wonder about snow around the lake. We wont be set up for snow camping. Any other year and it would be a foregone conclusion that there would be snow; this year, I wonder. I don't think that snow on the trail to the lake will be a deal killer. thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2014 03:59PM by hegel.
May 19, 2014 06:22AM
Take him down to Glen Aulin and waterwheelie...

Young Lakes will be frozen over. Well... that's my best guess from looking at Ten Lakes
from Colby and Z Overlook. Of course if you want the place to yourself...

Scary how little snow there really is... (well.. and has been all year) ...

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 19, 2014 04:14PM
Chick-on,
Do you have any pics of the Ten Lakes area showing the snow? Like an idiot, I had it in my pea brain that there was very little snow and planned a trip to Ten Lakes this coming weekend. I do not have a problem with snow or navigating in snow, but the Ten Lakes side of the pass has several steep and exposed areas that I might not be comfortable bringing my family down. It sounds like there might be many feet of snow from reading of some of the recent trail reports. It sounds like there is going to be a few more inches this week plus some possible ice build up.

We might go try and see how far we get, we can always stay in Half Moon Meadow.

Thanks!
May 19, 2014 05:05PM
Pictures forthcoming, but until then... there were only patches of snow to Half Moon Meadow, and no problem finding dry ground there. There was 100% coverage from the top of the switchbacks above Half Moon until the drop into Ten Lakes, although it was never more than a foot or so deep. The lower part of the switchbacks dropping into Ten Lakes looked dry, and there were definitely dry areas around the lakes, mostly to the north. All but the lowest (northernmost?) lake were at least partially ice covered. The north-facing slopes and cliffs south of the lakes were 100% covered with fairly thick snow.

We had a different destination in mind, and we passed several people who had turned back short of the lakes, but anyone familiar with snow travel and the correct trail route probably could have made it. On the other hand, we also saw several sets of footprints following our route, which wasn't toward the lakes, so don't blindly follow wherever the footprints lead...
May 19, 2014 05:22PM
Thanks!! That is great news. I really want the snow around the lakes, that is all good. I am just concerned about the trail down to the lakes. Thanks for the info and I look forward to your always great pictures.
May 19, 2014 07:37PM
Ten Lakes Basin as of Saturday, May 19: Photosynth You should be able to make out the trail along the grey area middle left, just below where you can see across the GCT.
May 19, 2014 07:55PM
Great picture...worth a thousand words! Allot less snow than what I was thinking. Now I am excited. Thank you.
May 19, 2014 09:41AM
Yep I think you're right. Young Lakes are at 10,000 feet...there's gonna be snow. (Actually it looks like there's going to be some fresh snow over the next few days!) Thanks for the reply and hello Waterwheel!
May 20, 2014 10:58AM
Pass is closed today... snowed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login