Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Soylent - backpacking nutrition & dining made easy?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Soylent - backpacking nutrition & dining made easy?
May 19, 2014 03:16PM
Not sure if many people are aware of a new food alternative that hit the market. It's called Soylent. No cooking is required. Just mix in the Soylent powder with the Soylent oil add water and stir. That's it. No heating needed.

Designed for everyday living as a complete food alternative. But could it be useful in backpacking applications where one doesn't really want to fuss with any type of cooking? All one would need to carry is the soylent power and oil. Their promotional video shows backpackers taking it along. But in the real world, would any of you try it out in the backcountry?

http://soylent.me/

Arstechnica.com: Soylent 1.0 arrives at Ars – We mix it up and slurp it down

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 04:02PM by plawrence.
avatar Re: Soylent - backpacking nutrition & dining made easy?
May 19, 2014 03:41PM
An egg contains all the stuff to make a chicken and Soylent has all the stuff to make a person. Hmmmm.

Catch the part where it says in the video that food has the taste and texture to make it enjoyable. Soylent has the stuff to be nutritious. Yum. I wonder if it would get boring on a trip down the JMT.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 04:11PM by mrcondron.
May 19, 2014 03:47PM
May 19, 2014 04:17PM
I could never force this into my lips after that 1970's film "Soylent Green."
May 19, 2014 04:25PM
But that was called Soylent Green, this product is just called Soylent. wink

No Green = No humans. Guaranteed.
May 19, 2014 04:37PM
plawrence

Guaranteed.

And you guarantee this by......?

Old Dude
May 19, 2014 06:35PM
mrcondron

And you guarantee this by......?

The company of course. According to the company, everything in Soylent is GRAS (generally recognized as safe) by the FDA.

And I just check its list of ingredients – no human body parts or organs listed. wink

May 22, 2014 02:06PM
Give it some time and it'll turn green.
May 19, 2014 06:51PM
That movie was my first thought also and I wonder how many other people will think the same thing. Marketing should have done a bit of research when picking a name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 06:52PM by parklover.
May 19, 2014 08:05PM
parklover

That movie was my first thought also and I wonder how many other people will think the same thing. Marketing should have done a bit of research when picking a name.

It's precisely because of the movie (and novel) why the company's founder chose that name for his product. He wanted the name to create some buzz (which it did!).

As quoted from the Arstechnica article that I provided at link to in my original post, here is the reason why the inventor of the product, Rob Rhinehart, chose Soylent as the name of his new food alternative product:

When we talked to Soylent inventor Rob Rhinehart last year, we made it a point to ask him about the reasoning behind choosing such a polarizing name. "For food, a lot of people tend to react quickly and not give it a lot of analysis. Piquing curiosity is very important here, and giving the product some kind of flashy marketing name would kind of—people would miss it quickly," he explained. "But the name 'Soylent' is really good for encouraging further discussion and thought. Clearly, I'm wanting someone to investigate it a little deeper if I'm calling it 'Soylent.' It doesn't seem very marketable!"

That oddness, along with Rhinehart’s bold claims about Soylent’s nutritional completeness and efficacy, drove a multimillion-dollar crowdfunding campaign that resulted in tens of thousands of orders.

That sounds like a very successful name to me!

(Besides it's been noted that hipsters and others of the new generation of consumers appreciate a good sense of irony.)

May 19, 2014 10:02PM
"Soylent Green is made of peeeple...made of peeeple...ahhhhhhhhh!"

PS I find it ironic that the military has a food development lab dedicated to the purpose of making their field rations taste as close to home cooked favorites as possible -- pizza being the ultimate goal -- while civilians take one of the only rewards on the trail -- food -- and try to turn it into a lab experiment. Go figure.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 10:12PM by Bee.
May 20, 2014 09:17PM
May 21, 2014 12:35AM
Just think, only eight more years to go until 2022. wink

May 20, 2014 08:28AM
plawrence
parklover

It's precisely because of the movie (and novel) why the company's founder chose that name for his product. He wanted the name to create some buzz (which it did!).

As quoted from the Arstechnica article that I provided at link to in my original post, here is the reason why the inventor of the product, Rob Rhinehart, chose Soylent as the name of his new food alternative product:

When we talked to Soylent inventor Rob Rhinehart last year, we made it a point to ask him about the reasoning behind choosing such a polarizing name. "For food, a lot of people tend to react quickly and not give it a lot of analysis. Piquing curiosity is very important here, and giving the product some kind of flashy marketing name would kind of—people would miss it quickly," he explained. "But the name 'Soylent' is really good for encouraging further discussion and thought. Clearly, I'm wanting someone to investigate it a little deeper if I'm calling it 'Soylent.' It doesn't seem very marketable!"

That oddness, along with Rhinehart’s bold claims about Soylent’s nutritional completeness and efficacy, drove a multimillion-dollar crowdfunding campaign that resulted in tens of thousands of orders.

That sounds like a very successful name to me!

(Besides it's been noted that hipsters and others of the new generation of consumers appreciate a good sense of irony.)

The name has certainly caused a buzz but I have to disagree that the new generation of consumers appreciate the irony since because none of them are old enough to remember the movie. It is us older people that do. No matter what the name, the idea of eating it and then everyone having a gaseous and gastric upset puts me off.
May 19, 2014 04:48PM
To answer your question, I would not try it out in the backcountry. I would try it at home first, and for more than one day. My guess is it doesn't taste very well.
May 19, 2014 06:29PM
I think I'm going to purchase the one-time 7-bag (21 meals) size for $85. Try it out once to see how it taste and then (at the very least) store it in my disaster emergency kit at home as a 6-day emergency supply of food. (It's supposed to be good for at least two years.)

If it tastes halfway decent, I would definitely consider taking it into the backcountry for at least short trips. With it there's no need to take any sort of stove (and the associated fuel). But at the very least (if it tastes bad), it should still be good as an emergency food supply for any major disaster (here in California, mainly earthquakes) that might occur where I live.

May 19, 2014 11:09PM
plawrence
I think I'm going to purchase the one-time 7-bag (21 meals) size for $85.

Why not just try sanity instead? Grinning Devil
May 19, 2014 08:05PM
They didn't include "taste" amongst their "Why Soylent" reasons...

I eagerly await your review.
May 19, 2014 10:53PM
ttilley
They didn't include "taste" amongst their "Why Soylent" reasons...

I eagerly await your review.

The show Futurama already had a future where people are consuming assorted "Soylent" products that are fairly well known as being made from dead people (or the species that's meant to eat the product). Nobody bats an eye.

http://theinfosphere.org/Soylent_products

An example:

Soylent chow is dog food made from dogs with the slogan "It's a dog-eat-dog world".
May 22, 2014 01:44PM
It seems to have about as many calories per ounce as some of the Mountain House freeze-dried meals, but none of the flavor or texture. So the only advantage is losing the weight of equipment and fuel needed to boil water to rehydrate freeze-dried meals.
May 23, 2014 01:56PM
Remember,---if they ever come out with a green version then people will likely fight for it because it purportedly tastes better. Then the pay loader equipment arrives to clean up the mob. I think this stuff is just a refined version of what Chick-on is stuffed with. Maybe not Chinese floor sweepings but not much better.Feed ME!
May 24, 2014 05:37AM
Boy, if it's less flavorful than Mountain House, may as well eat paper...
May 23, 2014 09:13PM
It's made of people!
May 27, 2014 11:58AM
Here's a link to a The New Yorker magazine article on Soylent.

“Rhinehart, who is twenty-five, studied electrical engineering at Georgia Tech, and he began to consider food as an engineering problem. “You need amino acids and lipids, not milk itself,” he said. “You need carbohydrates, not bread.” Fruits and vegetables provide essential vitamins and minerals, but they’re “mostly water.” He began to think that food was an inefficient way of getting what he needed to survive. “It just seemed like a system that’s too complex and too expensive and too fragile,” he told me.”

The New Yorker Magazine: Annals of Gastronomy –The End of Food

May 27, 2014 06:37PM
However he has forgotten that eating is not just a way of getting nutrients. Cooking and eating are also social events,something that binds people together and makes memories. I don't think anyone is going to have any childhood memories of sitting around with grandma mixing up Soylent and not making cookies or bread.
May 28, 2014 11:26AM
parklover

However he has forgotten that eating is not just a way of getting nutrients. Cooking and eating are also social events,something that binds people together and makes memories.

I don't think he has forgotten that. It's just for him (and others) eating is only a necessity of life. They don't appear to get any extra enjoyment in eating "real" food.

I've known over the years a good number of people who regard food and eating the same way he does. To them, it's only a chore. They don't seem to derive any extra pleasure in eating (or even sharing meals with others). Yes, these people tend to be introverts, but I wouldn't call them anti-social (or at least most of those that I have known). It's just that they don't value eating and sharing a meal with others as highly as the rest of us do.

May 28, 2014 11:34AM
Some people live to eat, others eat to live. My daughter is part of the latter, the rest of us part of the former. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2014 11:36AM by Hitech.
May 28, 2014 01:18PM
My feeling is that you have to eat to live so you might as well enjoy it. And, if you can, enjoy doing it with others.
May 30, 2014 05:49PM
plawrence
I've known over the years a good number of people who regard food and eating the same way he does.

I remember a friend coming to our house one evening when I was a teenager. My mother made a really nice meal of ham, eggs, and chips ("fries"winking smiley. He ate it up, but apologised that he had no interest in food beyond it being fuel, so could not really appreciate it. I was boggled!
May 28, 2014 06:42AM
I'll buy some of this... and take it with me... and then write trip reports again...

If the original poser puts up a TR of him going in the backcountry with this stuff.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 28, 2014 08:03AM
chick-on
I'll buy some of this... and take it with me... and then write trip reports again...

If the original poser puts up a TR of him going in the backcountry with this stuff.

Rolling on floor laugh
May 28, 2014 09:06AM
Do whatever floats your boat, Dale.

Have a nice day.
May 28, 2014 09:55AM
You Sunk My Battleship

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 29, 2014 12:06PM
June 06, 2014 11:58AM
What a week on Soylent will do to you

"I did initially experience some odd effects on Soylent. I couldn’t stop clenching my jaw, and felt a bit speedy for the first few days. I was lightheaded, and at one point my face and hands felt numb."

Mmmm! Sign me up! Feed ME!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login