Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mt Hoffmann

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 22, 2014 07:29PM
I'm planning to do a hike the first week of June with a backpack of camera gear. Never hiked at that elevation before. Any advice?

Thanks.
May 23, 2014 03:48AM
At what elevation have you hiked ? Where are you coming from ? Are you going to acclimate before your hike ?
May 23, 2014 08:01AM
The Other Tom
At what elevation have you hiked ? Where are you coming from ? Are you going to acclimate before your hike ?

Elevation wise I hiked Mist Trail to Nevada Fall and down JMT a couple of years ago. (4-6K) Other than that I mostly hike recreationally between sea level and 1000 ft in SoCal. I'm familiar with general hiking safety. Just looking for some feedback that may be specific to Mt Hoffmann. I understand as you near the top there really is no specific trail. So, obviously picking a good route is important. I'm also not familiar with hiking on talus.

No specific plan to acclimate other than I will be going up on Sunday, staying in Yosemite West and thinking of doing Hoffmann Tue or Wed depending upon weather.

Oh, and a couple of years ago I cycled up from the Mobile station to the the entrance gate at 120. (6-10K) So in general I don't think elevation itself will be an issue other than to slow me down.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2014 08:10AM by JohnC.
May 23, 2014 06:45AM
http://www.healthline.com/health/acute-mountain-sickness#Causes

Study up.

Drink more water than you think you need. Eat snacks.

If you have a bunch of the symptoms of elevation sickness, GO DOWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNN.

Don't go alone.
May 23, 2014 09:07AM
What AT said. Normally I try to acclimate for 2-3 days before I start a hike to 10-11K feet. I followed my normal routine before my Mt. Hoffman hike a few years ago but got dizzy and light headed. I turned around at the tree line and went back down. Point is that sometimes you can be ok at altitude, other times not. Be careful, eapecially coming from sea level.
When I went a few years ago there was no trail. I think there's one now but I don't know how well it's maintained.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2014 09:08AM by The Other Tom.
May 23, 2014 09:17AM
The road is closed (May Lake Road)... so u have to hike up that.
There's a trail all the way to the top. It's maintained... but now it's probably covered in some snow.
There is no talus to speak of.
I can't recall how much snow was up there a couple weekends ago. With the warmer days...
as long as u wait a wee bit before hiking up.. no special gear is required.
Someone like Joe ... since he walked right by here more or less... could say more... why not?
Beats me. Maybe he's not sitting in a cubicle... waiting til 11am when he bails and head to da hillz.

Have fun... hiking on the snow can be a lot of fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 23, 2014 09:29AM
chick-on
The road is closed (May Lake Road)... so u have to hike up that.
There's a trail all the way to the top. It's maintained... but now it's probably covered in some snow.
There is no talus to speak of.
I can't recall how much snow was up there a couple weekends ago. With the warmer days...
as long as u wait a wee bit before hiking up.. no special gear is required.
Someone like Joe ... since he walked right by here more or less... could say more... why not?
Beats me. Maybe he's not sitting in a cubicle... waiting til 11am when he bails and head to da hillz.

Have fun... hiking on the snow can be a lot of fun

Thanks.

Are you referring to the road from 120 that goes up to Snow Flat and the May Lake trailhead parking? If so do you think it might be open soon? With such a mild winter I wasn't expecting that. Everything I have read indicated there wasn't any trail near the top so it's good to hear there may be one. Assuming one can see it through the snow? :-)
May 23, 2014 09:34AM
None of the campgrounds roads were open last weekend. Highly unlikely that May Lake Road
(yes, that road).... it open this weekend. But, hey, it's possible.
I wouldn't count on it though.
The hike up is pretty straightforward ... go up... wink (seriously ... once u are on the plateau area...
it's trivial )
Unfortunately... my guess is that the section near May Lake itself is holding some snow. And that is
the area which could give you the most trouble w/r to navigation.
Regardless... just getting to the HSC is worth it... head east up the hill there... and nice views abound.
Have fun

May 23, 2014 09:44AM
chick-on
None of the campgrounds roads were open last weekend. Highly unlikely that May Lake Road
(yes, that road).... it open this weekend. But, hey, it's possible.
I wouldn't count on it though.
The hike up is pretty straightforward ... go up... wink (seriously ... once u are on the plateau area...
it's trivial )
Unfortunately... my guess is that the section near May Lake itself is holding some snow. And that is
the area which could give you the most trouble w/r to navigation.
Regardless... just getting to the HSC is worth it... head east up the hill there... and nice views abound.
Have fun

Thanks. I will have fun regardless of what I encounter. I just like to be prepared so as not to make the evening news, or even worse, get made fun of here. :-)
May 26, 2014 09:58AM
A little late contributing to this thread. Here is May Lake all frozen over on the morning of May 15. That day it was balmy warm, the next few days got colder and some snow, and now it is warm again. More melting will certainly happen before you get there in early June, so not sure how helpful this photo is, but I had it so ...

BTW when I was there the May Lake road was plowed but not open. It was much easier to walk along the road rather than post holing through the snow on the trail. Once I got to the May Lake parking lot it got easier as the trail from there up to May Lake is on a south facing slope and didn't hold much snow.
May 26, 2014 12:23PM
KatyAnderson
A little late contributing to this thread. Here is May Lake all frozen over on the morning of May 15. That day it was balmy warm, the next few days got colder and some snow, and now it is warm again. More melting will certainly happen before you get there in early June, so not sure how helpful this photo is, but I had it so ...

BTW when I was there the May Lake road was plowed but not open. It was much easier to walk along the road rather than post holing through the snow on the trail. Once I got to the May Lake parking lot it got easier as the trail from there up to May Lake is on a south facing slope and didn't hold much snow.

Thanks. That's a beautiful photo. I'm hoping to not encounter any meaningful snow along any of the trails. I'd also really prefer the road be open so I can drive to the trailhead. I'm an adequate hiker at minimum distances but I'm not in the same league as many of you here are. I need all the help I can get. :-)

If anybody is aware of that road opening during this coming week I would appreciate any update.

Thanks again to all for the feedback.
May 26, 2014 05:10PM
From your description of your ability, you're in somewhat similar shape to me (or better). So I think you won't have problems going up Mt. Hoffman. That said, I have always spent one night at high elevation (Mammoth or Tuolumne meadows, which are both about 8000 ft), before hiking any of the trails off of 120. I live normally at sea level. I hiked Hoffman two years ago in October and have no recollections of difficulty finding the trail. Near the end it may be confusing what's the peak, but there is an antenna on Mt. Hoffman. Take a couple of print outs of trail descriptions and you should be okay. I don't know how much snow you will encounter, since snow can make it difficult to locate trails. I found Mt. Dana confusing and we had to revert to descriptions to find the best route, but not Hoffman.

I love all the marmots near the top of Hoffman. Take some pictures of them if you go up and post for us to enjoy.
May 26, 2014 05:28PM
recycling1991
From your description of your ability, you're in somewhat similar shape to me (or better). So I think you won't have problems going up Mt. Hoffman. That said, I have always spent one night at high elevation (Mammoth or Tuolumne meadows, which are both about 8000 ft), before hiking any of the trails off of 120. I live normally at sea level. I hiked Hoffman two years ago in October and have no recollections of difficulty finding the trail. Near the end it may be confusing what's the peak, but there is an antenna on Mt. Hoffman. Take a couple of print outs of trail descriptions and you should be okay. I don't know how much snow you will encounter, since snow can make it difficult to locate trails. I found Mt. Dana confusing and we had to revert to descriptions to find the best route, but not Hoffman.

I love all the marmots near the top of Hoffman. Take some pictures of them if you go up and post for us to enjoy.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. I'm getting over some health issues so I will only have had about the last 4 weeks of training before going. Prior to that I had been inactive for about 3 months. But I'm feeling pretty strong already so I'm hoping I just need to take my time as I go. Since I am planning to stop to take photos along the way I'm hoping it all works out just fine. I'll have plenty of photos to share once I get back. I'll just need a little time to sort and process them. I'll post some or a link.
May 27, 2014 06:08AM
Doh! Nuts!
Sorry, dang, I can't believe Bearproof isn't giving me poo about "First Week in June"
For whatever reason... I thought you were going this last Sunday. Sorry.
Unfortunately I cannot tell you if they opened the road or not... but I would guess that
someone in the 9 million people I saw coming into the park when I left on Sunday could.
I didn't drive as far as May Lake... although if I had my head on straight I prob.
would have.. All the campgrounds I drove by were now open... so there is a chance.
Anywho. As a condolence prize... peas accept my faux toe I took on Saturday.
Some mountain or another:

Have fun and good luck

May 27, 2014 06:20AM
The May Lake Road wasn't open, I saw plenty of cars parked at May Lake Road along the Tioga Road coming back Monday.

Hoffmann's south-facing side (as seen from the road) has only streaks of snow across the top. More snow on the north side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2014 06:23AM by ttilley.
May 27, 2014 08:42AM
ttilley
The May Lake Road wasn't open, I saw plenty of cars parked at May Lake Road along the Tioga Road coming back Monday.

Hoffmann's south-facing side (as seen from the road) has only streaks of snow across the top. More snow on the north side.

Thanks for the update. It sounds like the trail should be in pretty good shape relative to visibility and lack of snow. I do hope they open that road though.
May 27, 2014 08:39AM
chick-on
Doh! Nuts!
Sorry, dang, I can't believe Bearproof isn't giving me poo about "First Week in June"
For whatever reason... I thought you were going this last Sunday. Sorry.
Unfortunately I cannot tell you if they opened the road or not... but I would guess that
someone in the 9 million people I saw coming into the park when I left on Sunday could.
I didn't drive as far as May Lake... although if I had my head on straight I prob.
would have.. All the campgrounds I drove by were now open... so there is a chance.
Anywho. As a condolence prize... peas accept my faux toe I took on Saturday.
Some mountain or another:

Have fun and good luck

That's a beautiful faux toe. :-)

I'm hoping most of those 9 million people you saw coming into the park will have left by next Sunday. That was my plan when I scheduled this trip. ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login