Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Enviable Emigrant

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 04, 2014 04:02PM
Spent last Friday through Monday with Chick-On exploring part of the Emigrant Wilderness between the Crabtree Meadows TH and the Yosemite border. Weather was perfect, mosquitoes not as bad as expected (although we were primarily up on the granite away from the mosquito-y areas). We were at elevations from 7000 to 8500 feet and the snow was non-existent except in very sheltered north facing slopes, and even there it was intermittent.
Day 1 was from the TH to Big Lake, via Piute Meadow, Groundhog Meadow, and Rosasco Lake, mostly on trail, although the last half appeared to be no longer maintained. Day 2 all cross country from Big Lake over Gillett Mountain, down to and across Cherry Creek downstream of Lord Meadow, up into Yosemite at Boundary and Little Bear Lake and to the Uppermost Inferno Lake. Day 3 more cross country along the border towards Wheeler Peak, down and back across the East Fork of Cherry Creek downstream of Huckleberry, then east to Pruitt Lake, north to cross the north fork of Cherry Creek, then east past Yellowhammer Lake back to Big Lake. Day 4 we headed northeast past Coyote Lake to the Buck Meadow Trail (where we hit our only significant snow...intermittent as it was...on the trail), up past Gem and Piute Lakes and then down to Grouse Lake before heading back to the trailhead.
Lots of big, open granite spaces..it was easy wandering.
Some photosynths and some pictures:

The view from the top of Gillett is here. Big Lake to the north is the most significant landmark.

The view looking into the North Fork of Cherry Creek Canyon is here.

Heading down towards Big Lake on Day 1

The view southeast across Yosemite from the top of Gillett

Unsinkable making his way across Inferno Lake

Crossing the West Fork of Cherry Creek

Camp Yellowhammer

Heading North out of Big Lake

Along the Bell Meadows Trail heading back to the car

All of the pictures (so far) are here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2014 07:57AM by Bearproof.
June 04, 2014 04:42PM
I'm envious, and I even got to play on granite last weekend--just wanted more! Glad that the boat made it to Big Lake--I was there for a few aborted attempts.

Oh, and pix of the pink bird or it didn't happen!
June 05, 2014 09:11AM
Nobuddy saw me dooz it, ewe can't proov nuttin:

*** believe nothing u read on the web and only half a dome of what ewe think i say

For Poof. What it looked like on a diff trip:

Unbelievable. Do you really want me to mention about the whining about a little snow now? Wowable
tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 04, 2014 07:42PM
That's a great hike. We love that granite by Big Lake...

Officially, once you leave the trail at Louse Canyon to head up to Rosasco Lake, you are no longer on a trail, you are on a "route" according to the USFS. That's why it isn't maintained.

But it's pretty darn easy to follow, as you discovered.

We have a bunch of photos of this area on our website, too...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
June 04, 2014 10:46PM
We were in that area over Memorial Day weekend although a little higher up. Lots of snow on northfacing slopes above 8,000'.

FYI, Emigrant Lake (el 8,800') was still half frozen

The trail to Upper Emigrant Lake / Blackbird lake was completely covered by snow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2014 10:49PM by OL.
June 05, 2014 05:46AM
Who, pray tell, is that guy in the float raft ? Someone we know, perhaps ?
June 05, 2014 11:05AM
Thanks for the awesome trip report and great pictures! The YH camp pics are postcard quality. I always just hit Kibbie to Lord, and then head downstream, so I've never explored those parts. My friend proposed a very similar trip for ~June 20th weekend. I haven't been down Cherry in many years, really looking forward to it, your pictures got me chomping at the bit. A little worried about the bug situation, but I can always hide in my tent and read. Some questions

1) What kind of bear can are you using in this picture and how do you like it?

I've got the usual BV500, which despite being marketing as a "7 day can," can only hold about 4 days of my rations if I repack everything into space-saving ziplocs and also want to pack my chapstick, suds, baking soda (toothpaste), sunscreen in it at night:

2) How much does that backpacking boat thing weight, and how light-headed do you get blowing it up at 8000 feet?
June 05, 2014 05:25PM
The Bear Can is the Wild Ideas Bearikade Weekender. The wife and I each carried one for the JMT a couple of years ago, and were able to squish in 6 days worth of food for one person in it, for sure. They also have the expedition which is larger...we actually bought one of those first, but returned it as it was a bit too big.

As for the boat....it is owned by and was blown up by that pink guy...you know...big feet, beakish nose and goofy smile. He is always a little light-headed. He might be able to tell you how much it weighs. I would guess at least a henway or two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2014 05:27PM by Bearproof.
June 06, 2014 07:26AM
I gotz da Bearikade Scout - can easily fit 4 days of food in it... and even more in a pinch.
Maybe u taking too many Twinkies?
For 2-3 day trips I use the Bare Boxer. It's small... but it's 50 bucks vs. 5x that...

Yea old Sticks N Feathers ... well... let's just say dat Bird is well endowdered:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,69893,69893#msg-69893

w/r to da boat... lookie here, n follow some links n stuff:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,46761,46906#msg-46906

Z-Rest in da bottom of that boat.. and can boat all day...

Anywho.. hike upstream man... seriously... soooo much butter (ok, mo)
And... take a goooood look at those faux toes... and you can have some
canyons to yourself... when CCC is swamped with peeps

Have fun

June 07, 2014 12:03PM
chick-on
I gotz da Bearikade Scout - can easily fit 4 days of food in it... and even more in a pinch.
Maybe u taking too many Twinkies?

I've been able to fit 4 days of food into my BV500, but the problem comes at evening time when I additionally need to put in my ultralite 1st aid kit, sunscreen, chapstick, camp suds, and flask (if I bring it). Usually on the first night I can't fit it all in, and have to get creative.

I'd love to go upstream from Lord Meadow, never been through those parts. But my buddies are really into pool-hopping down cherry bomb gorge, so I think we're going the 'usual' route to do this. Hope the current isn't too crazy. I've heard that the main entrance to the Shingle Springs lot is closed due the fire, so I don't know how busy CCC proper will be this season. Those kayakers are pretty determined bunch, though. We're planning on leaving a car on the forest service road (2N05) that's west of the creek, near where it enters the lake. And starting the hike from Bell Meadow.
June 08, 2014 03:09PM
Pool hoping down Cherry Bomb? Um... hmm... good luck right now...
Cherry Creek looked like this last weekend:

I'd expect it to get higher for another week and then start calming down.

I'd be very surprised if you can get to 2N05 now. If you can get there.. then you should be able to get to Shingle..
which you can't ... so I highly doubt it. But lemme know.
As for the whole Shingle Springs area... the fire was interesting... Shingle Springs parking lot got no damage...
the only area from Eleanor TH to Kibbie that got bad (and not that bad.. was Dead Horse Gulch ... and
then the swampy area just after dropping down after entering the park)
(wife and I went there in April)

Anywho. Have fun

June 09, 2014 06:11PM
Not firsthand knowledge, but IIRC a ranger I spoke to (when was trying to learn about the status of Shingle Springs TH this season) said a car (s?) burnt a the trailhead during the fire. I may have misunderstood.

The fire is terrible, but I won't miss the brush from the TH down to the granite. I think it was regrowth after an earlier fire (I was told that too).
June 09, 2014 08:49PM
ags
Not firsthand knowledge, but IIRC a ranger I spoke to (when was trying to learn about the status of Shingle Springs TH this season) said a car (s?) burnt a the trailhead during the fire. I may have misunderstood.

The fire is terrible, but I won't miss the brush from the TH down to the granite. I think it was regrowth after an earlier fire (I was told that too).
Don't worry. The brush is there for you.
The previous fire was in 2004. Wife and I actually went there (started at Shingle Springs) and went to Kibbie.... right after that fire...
and I do have photos of the parking lot and torched trees all around... but that was then... this is now:

Mid April of this year. Expect shrub into Cherry... I was looking for burnt cars... and found only a nice parking lot...
The car (I believe it was just one) ... was actually at the TH right up the road from Lake Eleanor Dam. Unfortunately I didn't
know that until after we returned... otherwise I would have went looking...
View of Cherry Lake from Shingle Springs TH:

Before Kibbie Ridge fire of 2004 you could not see the lake from this spot...
The worse burn from Shingle Springs to Kibbie was near Dead Horse Gulch as I mentioned above:

It'll be back. I feel bad for the big oak trees along Eleanor Rd... but nature has a way of coming back.
It's not all bad. Death begets life. It's how it works. It's not "all gone" .

Have fun

June 11, 2014 01:23PM
Impressive mileage for just a few days. Boundary Lake is indeed a beauty. Must of been using your wings? How's bout a story or two of your creek crossings?

http://www.davidsenesac.com
June 17, 2014 07:15PM
DavidSenesac
Impressive mileage for just a few days. Boundary Lake is indeed a beauty. Must of been using your wings? How's bout a story or two of your creek crossings?
I guess Beardood not wanna answer.

We (well... pretty much I dooz it) pick nice spot to cross. Take off shoes... puts on some scooby socks...
and wade across. Not bad. Maybe just about the knee or so (I think there's a pix of some clown crossing in poofs pix).
Not too exciting really. Not too dangerous.
The most interesting story is the trek over to Z other side of Upper Inferno. Boatable.
So.. out comes the boat... and I boat across... b/c wuz tired and "been there before".
Forgot the auto-inflatter... so it took awhile to blow it up... and I not sure what happened to bearguy.
Eventually see him about 100 yards from where I'm getting ready to enter Ye Old Boat.
Supposedly there was a cliff or something he had to get around and he not so happy about that.
O well.. what u want me to do? I can't remember everything?

That cliff over yonder:

doable

He coulda just used the floaty device he found on the way in.

June 18, 2014 07:49PM
Yeah...da Bird says "I am going to float across...you can just go thataway"...cuz he says he went thataway last time. Thataway takes me over a steep outsloping granite slab with a 30 foot drop to the left...nice. And afterwards he says...I checked my route last time...guess I didn't go thataway.

Oh and btw it takes him no time to blow up that raft...even without the auotoinflator...there's a lot of hot air availableHead roll
June 18, 2014 09:13PM
Of course der udder way is ewe just prance across:

For z real crossing... of da North Fork:

Converstation go sumtim like: "well... you fall in ... you prob. not gonna make it... so don't fall in"

Problem is.. we usually looking at map and sayin "looks doable.. let's go look" ... "you wanna go up there" ... "yes"
by day 4 the "yes" seems to morph into "ya.. maybe not".
Not sure sure safer going with somebuddy... after one of us gets thru something it usually ends with "well... I made it"

and when it looks like this:

you just giggle

shrubbable
laughable

June 18, 2014 09:24PM
re: brush shot. Yah, been there. Done that. Maybe laughed afterwards. First real brush-whacking for me was going XC from Many Island to Kibbie Lake. Some silly crack filled with brush. Just kept "jumping" into the brush to try to work my way down. Jeez. Worst brush experiences for me (have not yet been to Enchanted Gorge) have been around Cherry/Kibbie. Makes so much of everything else look easier.

And for the record, I'd find a ford of that creek or butt-scootch across that log. I am not good with the walking on logs with fast moving water going underneath. Do not know how I made it across the *flattened top* log "bridge" over Sol Duc in the Olympics. Hated that.

Hm. Also caught the comment "not sure if safer going with somebuddy".. sigh. Been there and had to do that too. (Thinking about a jump on a ledge I didn't like.) Sigh. Live and hopefully learn, right? While still having fun! smiling smiley
June 19, 2014 08:03AM
Enjoyable (as long as its survivable)
June 19, 2014 11:10AM
Always enjoyable reading about Chick-on's victims.
June 19, 2014 03:17PM
Chick-on has been nothing but a gentle-bird to me. It's my own darned (yet dear) Basilbop who has sometimes lured me into "irritating" situations. I allow this to happen, I realize, because I do so love the country we explore. Basilbop is more physically capable than I am... Sometimes he forgets that and my own overinflated ego sometimes doesn't raise the flag soon enough! smiling smiley
June 19, 2014 01:43PM
JustKeepWalking
... I'd find a ford of that creek or butt-scootch across that log

I think it's time to include butt-scootch as a verb in the dictionary; there is no other term that better describes this action, which I'm sure so many of us have done.

Although it is puzzling - sometimes my dog butt-scootches across my living room floor. No fast-flowing rapids or sketchy log crossings there, so I figure he's just reliving a flashback from a former life.
June 19, 2014 09:29PM
jishaq

Although it is puzzling - sometimes my dog butt-scootches across my living room floor. No fast-flowing rapids or sketchy log crossings there, so I figure he's just reliving a flashback from a former life.

I always thought dogs did this to wipe their butts clean. wink

June 19, 2014 12:37PM
Oh man! That looks so awesome! So many questions, so much to say lol. I just found this site. Didn't think there was a place for my area so happy to have found this. I live in sonora, where do you guys live? Anyway I've always liked to do hiking but never gotten to do anything off the trail or really exciting just like, half dome, pinecrest, simple trail hikes and nothing ever over night. Anyway this year I decided that was gonna change so i've started collecting gear to start doing some more exciting overnights and such. I want to do a hike out to long lake sometime in the next few weeks as I've heard its nice out there this time of year. 1 place I would really like to go to though is Kibbie lake but I thought that because of the rim fire last year you wouldnt be allowed to hike down to that side of cherry.

So, What are the rim fire restrictions like for hikers right now? Where can you not go? Is there someplace where you guys have a list of trail heads, hikes you done, place to see, stuff like that? I find that there are really no set mapped trails out to a lot of the places out in the emigrant but that there are a lot of trails that people use that are not marked. Anyway, that hike of yours looked amazing can't wait to get out there myself. So happy to have found some more info on the amazingness that is the wilderness off of highway 108.
June 19, 2014 08:54PM
Thanks mr bird.

Am guessing the one pic is the Lord Meadow zone. We talked about that on the board a few years ago but the last couple winters have been too wimpy to bother. Want to base camp in that area for a week at a few locations. Have been to Boundary on the way to Nance Peak but only looked down in the hole. Lots of material for a landscape photographer.

The log crossing is a good example of a crossing I could confidently cross without a pack but would not want to do with a heavy pack because I would likely end up swimming 10% of the time. Thus would likely unload items like my photo gear and sleeping bag to take across individually first checking the log and lightening the load. If it was any more iffy would resort to sitting down clamping with a thigh hug, inching across.

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2014 08:55PM by DavidSenesac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login