Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Matthes lake from Cathedral trail head as a day hike?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Matthes lake from Cathedral trail head as a day hike?
June 09, 2014 09:02PM
Starting at Cathedral lakes TH, how far is the hike to Matthes lake, stopping by echo lake along the way? Think its possible for a day hike (below 14 miles I suppose)? Also, it appears to be pretty easy cross country, is this true? Not too much in the way.
avatar Re: Matthes lake from Cathedral trail head as a day hike?
June 10, 2014 07:01AM
No problem.

There's a zillion and one routes to choose from. All about 15 miles.. or less...

If never been may want to just do in and out from Cath Lakes TH... from which it's mostly trail.
Even over Cath Pass down to Echo there is abuse trail...
down and around south of Matthes is trivially easy...

From there you could do a loop coming back Nelson Lake trail via Echo Creek to Elizabeth Lake.
Anywho... a gabzillion different great routes all up in der.

And... unlike some said recently... some nutjobs actually welcome a frozen lake or three

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 10, 2014 07:05AM
Some welcome it:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,50166,50166#msg-50166

(I had wanted to go back and hit Matthes after Sunrise Lakes the following weekend... but the snow finally came that year...
or something like that)

Have fun

June 11, 2014 08:20PM
B B B Bird is the word, thanks man... Ya if I have time to wait in line at 11 for permit, ill spend night and take echo creek back.
June 15, 2014 08:04PM
It might not be worth anything... but I was touching Matthes Lake last
Thursday w/i 4 hours... including stopping for lunchie.

June 17, 2014 09:27PM
Yeah, four hours, that helps. I would like to think I can do it in 6, easily, including stops at echo and upper cathedral. Theres just one stickler in the group who doesnt want to do lake hikes. hes a peak bagger through and through. ill let you know how it goes. trip is T minus 3 weeks....
June 18, 2014 07:33AM
cantwait2getback
Yeah, four hours, that helps. I would like to think I can do it in 6, easily, including stops at echo and upper cathedral. Theres just one stickler in the group who doesnt want to do lake hikes. hes a peak bagger through and through. ill let you know how it goes. trip is T minus 3 weeks....
Ya. 6 hours should be no problem. Echo Lake from TH you can get to w/o stopping in < 2 1/2.
If the stickler is a peak bagger... then as you head to Cathedral and Echo Lakes to lounge... send his butt up
Echo Peak. If that doesn't satisfy... you got me. You can wait for the turkey at Echo Lake.
Even going up Echo Peak... you can make Matthes Lake no problem ... imo...
Have fun

June 19, 2014 08:59AM
I agree. Send him up Echo Peaks or to the saddle between Cockscomb and Matthes Crest. Either should wear him out within your round trip schedule. Better yet, have him go alone up the Bud Lake trail instead of Cathedral trail, over the pass at Echo peaks, traverse to the saddle, and then down to Echo Lake area. That should make his day.
Jim
July 17, 2014 09:53PM
So, Mr peak bagger was tired after clouds rest, hoffman, and several other peaks, so he joined us. Went straight to Matthes, then hit all the other lakes on the way back. At lower cathedral it was a bit hairy with lightning. Literally right above us. We just dropped straight down to the 120. It was loud. This drive back 120 we saw what appeared to be a fire near Lembert, and somewhere else on the 120 where the clouds were hanging low. Somewhere before tenaya I believe. Ive been wanting to go to matthes so bad, Finally i went!

July 18, 2014 08:15AM
cantwait2getback

Holy cow! Now I wanna go too! Thanks for the report.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login