Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Hart Lakes (pics)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 16, 2014 05:03PM
I backpacked to Hart Lakes for the weekend, which I had to myself.

The water was (by my standards) fairly swimmable, and unlike last year's trip to nearby Ostrander at the same point in the year, the thermocline wasn't shallow - I didn't have cold water around my feet while treading water. This is probably because last year there was some remnant snow on Horse Ridge flowing into Ostrander, this year there were only the smallest patches of snow on the face of Horse Ridge.

As a swimming lake I prefer Ostrander - Hart has about a foot or so of soft sediment on the bottom. Deep water is reasonably quickly accessible, but I prefer not having the soft sediment.

There were plenty of mosquitoes but they mostly didn't bother me due to the breeze that started up Saturday afternoon. During calm periods I was hearing, and seeing, clouds of them, but the wind built up over the afternoon and eventually blew them away.

Pics...

Hart Lakes from the ridge above:

Clark Range, from the same point. You can see how little snow is remaining on west-facing slopes:

Morning view of the main lake:

Half Dome, Mt. Starr King, and other domes:

The pond between Ostrander and Hart. There was a small outflow of clear water from the pond.

June 16, 2014 06:00PM
Chick-on bombing ewe:

June 12th, 2011
Hart Lakes ... No Swim-on allowed

tongue sticking out smiley

(and in return... I'll put together a set of mine from last trip... watch this space) (case)

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 16, 2014 06:10PM
Coolness. I dissed (justifiably) Hart's swimming properties, but I have to say that's a wonderful place to camp.

It's understandably not a great wildflower year, but I did see some.

June 16, 2014 09:21PM
I agree about the soft sediment stuff...the best swimming lakes are granite bathtubs with a few nice, safe jumping rocks. No gooey stuff between the toes.
June 17, 2014 07:08PM
I donut if I'd classify Bearpoof as a swimmer. More of a floater.

* note - i know the guy not around monetarily ... so hehehe

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login