All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Matterhorn Canyon Loop
June 22, 2014 04:41PM
We are heading up Matterhorn Canyon the first week of July and we are trying to decide where to stay on our 4th night...we are looking at somewhere between Burro Pass and Crown Lake. Does anyone want to chime in with their experience? Also if you have been in the area do you recommend staying in between Burro and Mule Pass or pushing over Mule to stay on the other side like the Crown lake area.... not sure on how the energy will factor in at the end of the day for us.
Thanks...
Re: Matterhorn Canyon Loop
June 22, 2014 07:07PM
We camped at Crown Lake...there is a lot of room there, on the Northeast side. There are also some nice open spots right past Mule Pass....great views, but make sure you can get water there. And Robinson Lakes is another option.

Wonderful area. We have trip report on this one on our website...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Matterhorn Canyon Loop
June 23, 2014 06:53AM
You can always do this:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/search.php?17,search=matterhorn+canyon,author=,page=1,match_type=ALL,match_dates=0,match_forum=ALL,match_threads=0

What I don't understand is why peeps like Old Dood don't respond.
Has he simply lost his mind entirely?

He has been in Slide Canyon a "few times" and camped in that area a "few" other times.
We hiked out from Slide Canyon near the "falls" in a day ... so... that would be my suggestion.
Crown Lake is going to be bustling with peeps. It's not a big lake.
Where are you camping on night 3?
My rec. is make it a 6 day trip. And don't miss checking out Rodgers.
50 miles in 5 days is the main loop. 10 miles/day is trivail for some... brutal for others
with no recovery time and no time to soak in the sights and sounds.
Said it 4000 times... go up Volunteer. Can't remember anyone here saying they ever did.

I'd camp as high up near Burro as you can. Near the tarns on the north or where the
confluence is on the south. Take the extra day imo since first time.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 23, 2014 07:30AM
I was badly bent after the weekend and besides I knew you would do a much better job.

C-o is right about camping closer to the pass where you can see the whole canyon and the Sawtooth Ridge which is one of the best sights in the park. Go up Volunteer.

Old Dude
June 23, 2014 10:25AM
I've camped at both Crown Lake and below Burro Pass. Both are nice... the views of the Sawtooths are better near Burro Pass. But it's hard to throw a rock without hitting a nice campsite anywhere in the park.

June 23, 2014 01:03PM
Ditto on much of what has been said but I'll put in another hearty plug for a side trip and possible camp spot at Rodgers Lake on south side of Volunteer Peak.
June 29, 2014 12:34PM
Thank you for all the great replies. I have been "off-line" so just getting to them now.

I think the side trips sound great but unfortunately we have work commitments that keep us limited to the five total days. Retirement can't come too soon... but I digress...

It sounds like we have multiple options so we will see how the energy is once we crest Burro and if we want to continue over Mule to get to Crown or stay somewhere in between.

The other thing for us is that we are not comfortable going off trail. We have done some minor exploration off trail which might involve following an outlet or something but for the most part we stick to the trail. I know so limiting- but we have not run out of trails yet!

Thank agains- and we will report back-
June 29, 2014 02:16PM
Once you get over Burro you will want to stay in the canyon where you will have the Sawtooth Ridge for a view. There should be water and there are some fantastic pitching spots. Once over Mule the views degrade. Drop down ad check out the slide on the way out but before over Mule. It's all very open so no worries doing a bit of cross country.

Chick-on has some pictures posted on Picasa I believe.

Here's one:

https://plus.google.com/photos/103089501068510688008/albums/5919043752575282657/5919803770662621378?banner=pwa&pid=5919803770662621378&oid=103089501068510688008

Old Dude
July 02, 2014 07:56AM
mrcondron
Once you get over Burro you will want to stay in the canyon where you will have the Sawtooth Ridge for a view. There should be water and there are some fantastic pitching spots. Once over Mule the views degrade. Drop down ad check out the slide on the way out but before over Mule. It's all very open so no worries doing a bit of cross country.

Chick-on has some pictures posted on Picasa I believe.

Here's one:

https://plus.google.com/photos/103089501068510688008/albums/5919043752575282657/5919803770662621378?banner=pwa&pid=5919803770662621378&oid=103089501068510688008

Complete with noontime smoke rolling in from the Rim fire; photo taken 8/23/13.
Jim
July 03, 2014 09:45AM
There a pond below Crown Lake that has some camping with views in the rock ledges on the east side.

The north side of Mule Pass also has some good camping with Views and lakelets. Hope you have/had a good trip.
July 08, 2014 12:00PM
Thank you so much for all the ideas. We stayed on a wonderful granite slab below Burro before starting the Mule ascent. It was near Piute Creek with a breeze and wonderful views of Sawtooth and other peaks. Thanks- hope to do a full trip report soon. Resting my feet....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login