All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

TR Ring around the Kuna Crest- Long
July 28, 2014 02:51PM
On July 14 I started a 10 day trip from Walker Lake. Thank you to Yosemitejim for reassuring me about road conditions to the Walker Lake Trailhead,and to Chick-on for permit rules and the shuttle bus information to Mono Pass when I asked in February.

The trip started at the trailhead near Walker Lake

I had read that the trail was steep and in bad shape, but at least this year it seemed better than the Whitney Trail . By 1 pm I was up at Lower Sardine lake and it was looking like rain,
so I decided to camp at the far side of the lake.

The next day it was over Mono and Parker Passes, with a side trip to the old mining cabins near Mono Pass.

I had just made it over Parker Passes when he thunderstorm hit. This was a reoccurring theme. It rained ever afternoon except one for the first seven days.

This is just west of Parker Pass.

The next morning it was time to go over Koip Peak Pass. I could see the switchbacks from where I was camped. More worrisome was the clouds first thing in the morning. I really wanted to get over the 12,200 ft. pass
before the lightening, and by 10:30 that AM I was there.

My destination for the day was the Alger Lakes

I got to the Alger Lakes just as it was starting to really rain- Wednesday July 16. It rained thunder and lightening for almost four hours.

The next morning dawned beautiful. I spent a little extra time walking around, since I had not done so the evening before.

My next destination was over Gem Pass

Gem Lake was not very interesting, so I camped along Crest Creek since it was about to rain.

Day 5 I headed past Waugh Lake and up to the JMT. Suddenly there were a whole lot more people than I had become accustomed to,
so I headed up to Davis Lake just off the trail.

It did not rain at Davis Lake!

Next day- Day 6 it was up and over Donahue Pass. Beautiful area, but just as I got over the pass the storm clouds began to gather and I started looking for a sheltered campsite.

Which I found just before the thunderstorm hit.

The next day-7- it was down the Lyell Fork

The day started with a beautiful blue sky, and then started clouding up rapidly. I spent some time as I went down telling people that they probably had until around 2PM until it rained.
That was incorrect. At 10:30 that morning it started to hail! It rained and hailed for about an hour, but at least I was going downhill. Meanwhile it seemed like I was swimming against the John Muir tide, with all conditions of
people headed to the pass. I stopped giving advice, and camped near Ireland Creek that evening.

Day 8 I hiked out to the Tuolumne Meadow Backpacker Camp.

It was the only day I saw frost. Made the backpacker camp early , dumped some trash, picked up a permit to go back in the next day at the Mono Pass Trailhead, got cleaned up, and attended the ranger campfire program.

The next day I caught the free shuttle up to the Mono Pass Trailhead. This is a much easier way to get to Mono Pass than Bloody Canyon. Of course my truck is still at the Walker Lake Trailhead, and the easiest way to get it is to walk there.

I made Mono Pass early in the day, and by mid-afternoon I was back in the campsite at lower Sardine Lake.

Day 10 I hiked out, found a shower on the June lakes loop, and a campsite to sleep in the back of the truck along highway 120.

Thank you to anyone who waded though this trip report.
Even more photos can be found here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lschaaf55/sets/72157645584465738

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2014 08:05PM by lschaaf.
avatar Re: TR Ring around the Kuna Crest- Long
July 28, 2014 03:38PM
Awesome! That sounds like a fantastic time. Thanks for posting a trip report.
July 28, 2014 04:21PM
Thanks for posting the report. Glad you were able to see some great stuff between the thunderstorms.
July 28, 2014 06:15PM
I waited. But I didn't get wet. Maybe I should have waded.

Here my trip around der from a few years agos:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,27023,27023#msg-27023

Time flies. Enjoy it while you can.
smiling smiley

Tanks for Sharon

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: TR Ring around the Kuna Crest- Long
July 28, 2014 07:56PM
chick-on
I waited. But I didn't get wet. Maybe I should have waded.

Here my trip around der from a few years agos:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,27023,27023#msg-27023
smiling smiley

Tanks for Sharon

Wow, a different year- a whole lot more snow. I may complain about the thunderstorms, but at least the lakes weren't frozen.
Thanks for the pictures
July 28, 2014 06:52PM
Excellent! I am always impressed by the T-storm stories and pictures, and as I sit at a computer I wish I was up in my tent enjoying them. But I recall the thrill can wear off after too many days in a row of them. And you certainly seemed to have been caught in the middle of them!
Re: TR Ring around the Kuna Crest- Long
July 28, 2014 07:58PM
Bearproof
Excellent! I am always impressed by the T-storm stories and pictures, and as I sit at a computer I wish I was up in my tent enjoying them. But I recall the thrill can wear off after too many days in a row of them. And you certainly seemed to have been caught in the middle of them!

Honestly, it wasn't that bad. It gave me an excuse to knock off mid-afternoon and lay in the tent a while. Plus it helped me justify the raincoat and pack cover I brought
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login