Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

JR's TR 7/19-26 Part 3: to May Lake and Mt. Hoffmann

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar JR's TR 7/19-26 Part 3: to May Lake and Mt. Hoffmann
August 18, 2014 08:48AM
(warning: way too many pictures)

From Glen Aulin I headed to May Lake. Passed McGee Lake. After another couple of miles, views to the north and east begin opening up, especially the big peaks like Mt. Conness. I intended to camp at Raisin Lake but, um, well I totally missed it! I ended up camping high on the trail just before it drops down to May Lake. Spectacular views.

Next morning proceeded to May Lake, where I stashed my bear canister and a few other items in a bear box at the backpacker's camp while I ascended Mt. Hoffmann. Needless to say incredible views. The sky was crystal clear this day, in the thin air it was a very deep blue and the sun was very intense.

Coming back down Hoffmann I had a dilemma – I only had about 48 hours left to my trip, and from that location there aren't many places I could explore in that timeframe and be back to TM (my pick-up point) at the end. The obvious choice is through the Sunrise Lakes and then the Cathedral Pass, but I've done that before. Possibly Young Lakes, but… I decided to just chill out for the last part of the trip. Got back down from Hoffmann to May Lake and took a power nap in the campground. Great sunset views from a low ridge just east of the lake. Slept that night at May Lake.

McGee Lake:

Heading to May Lake, looking back to views opening up to the north and east:

From the ascent up Hoffmann, looking back to the Clark Range and Cloud's Rest:

Cloud's Rest, Starr King, and Half Dome (from ascent of Hoffmann):

Hoffmann's Thumb:

Ice block:

Back down to May Lake:

Great sunset views from the low ridge just east of May Lake:

Dawn, day 7:

Tenaya Lake:

- Billy Joel
avatar Re: JR's TR 7/19-26 Part 3: to May Lake and Mt. Hoffmann
August 18, 2014 10:58AM
Love the last light on the face of Half Dome!
August 18, 2014 11:19AM
Yes, and that tree-covered mound in front of it is....Watkins. Virtually the same angle on Half Dome from Hoffmann as from Watkins. Here's sunset last year on HD from Watkins:

- Billy Joel
August 18, 2014 11:53AM
NICE! I actually remember that from your report...... mostly because I was researching recently for last Saturday's day trip to Watkins.
Re: JR's TR 7/19-26 Part 3: to May Lake and Mt. Hoffmann
August 19, 2014 10:25AM
Nice! How was it at May Lake for camping? Quiet enough? I've always wondered.... Lovely pics. Good call to just rest and soak it in, views excellent!... looking forward to the next installment...
August 19, 2014 02:50PM
May Lake was quiet enough for me. No one was rowdy in the campground, but definitely not solitude -- there was constant traffic back and forth to the water and outhouse, etc. I don't hear too well in one ear, so I can just put my good ear in the pillow and don't hear nuthin' ;-).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login