Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Buena Vista Crest This Weekend? Opinions Requested

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Buena Vista Crest This Weekend? Opinions Requested
August 20, 2014 08:04PM
I have permit reservations this weekend to hike from Mono Meadows up the Buena Vista Trail to Buena Vista Lake- Royal Arches Lake- Johnson Lake- etc, and come back via the Bridalveil Creek Trail, coming out on Glacier Point Road about a mile west of the Mono Meadows Trailhead. Four nights, Friday thru Tuesday.

My concern is smoke from the Oakhurst fire. Do the experienced ones on this forum think the smoke will be to heavy to see anything? Should I go? Cancel to hang in the fog of the Bay Area and go in late September- the next time I have time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2014 07:16PM by lschaaf.
August 20, 2014 08:12PM
This may not be helpful, but my opinion would be NOT to cancel, but to think about alternatives, see what smoke conditions are like, and have your alternatives in mind when you check in... or change your reservation (they allow that if slots exist). You might even be able to change when you pick up your permit. If the only concern is smoke, I would go to the mountains and do your best to avoid it. I wouldn't give up such a prime time to go... And I must say I do love our summer fog keeping things temperate here... but having just spent a perfect-weather weekend up there, I'd do everything in my power to get back up there.

Don't get me wrong, I'd go, but I would do my darnedest to avoid smoke. Done that too much now.. and this past weekend, even though we were just on the edge, it was annoying.

Oh, and if late September was my only other opportunity, I'd take that too! Lovely hiking in September and October... and...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 08:15PM by JustKeepWalking.
August 21, 2014 06:02PM
This is excellent advice
. I'm going, and if the southern end of the park is too smoky, I'll get a permit for somewhere that isn't.
Thanks!
avatar Re: Buena Vista Crest This Weekend? Opinions Requested
August 21, 2014 07:00AM
I would go (well... b/c I am) ... tongue sticking out smiley

From what I see ... the fire has not grown in the last 24 hrs... and it is 65% contained.
I would expect that it be 100% in a few days... just my opinion... but they gotta be
aggressively suppressing this fire. There are far too many houses, etc. right in the area.
Note that 41 quickly reopened...

Go... have fun... and possibly be on the lookout for Perrets n Chick-ons

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 21, 2014 06:04PM
I'm going, and I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the encouragement.
August 21, 2014 07:29PM
Glad to hear it and I hope we'll see a trip report when you are back! I'm laid up now, so I really need to get my fix in vicariously!!!
August 21, 2014 09:54PM
Estimated containment is 8/25. They have over 1000 people working it.

Will be on the trail to Ostrander on Sat. morning.
We will say hiddy ho to anyone we pass by. If you see a goofy looking red boat with a chirp coming from it...
That is probably a Perret.. smiling smiley

August 22, 2014 07:10AM
It's 90% contained now... 47 structures lost sad smiley

Smoke should be minimal. Half a Dome a nice trip.
Le Royal Arch Lake is purty nice. Johnson outlet area pretty nice...
Other areas you have to explore...

Might get Z Perret to do a little loop to Minnow... haven't been to that lake in YEARS...
and I don't even have a picture of it. Used to be Monster Fish in there...
Prob. they are all dead now.. hmm... boatable tongue sticking out smiley

August 22, 2014 08:58AM
Oh great, I'm sure I'll be told it's just a three-hour tour to Minnow.. How could that possibly go wrong? :-)

chick-on
Might get Z Perret to do a little loop to Minnow... haven't been to that lake in YEARS...
and I don't even have a picture of it. Used to be Monster Fish in there...
Prob. they are all dead now.. hmm... boatable tongue sticking out smiley
August 26, 2014 03:50PM
Do you see anyone you know in these this picture?

Trip report to follow, but it worked out well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 03:51PM by lschaaf.
August 26, 2014 04:13PM
hehehe

I waved... either you no see... or ewe no wanna wave back.

August 26, 2014 04:39PM
I missed the wave, and I didn't want to invade your space....Plus it could have been someone else with a boat. You never know.
August 26, 2014 04:47PM
Infinitesimally small chance it was anybody else in the boat...the Yosemite Yacht Club is very exclusive.
August 26, 2014 05:18PM
Hmmm... I thought they let just bout anybody in...

(that be Mr. CannonBallz into da Skinny Dippin Par-tay himself, dear reader)

August 26, 2014 05:35PM
chick-on
Yep that is me...but your yacht. Not sure that qualifies me.
August 27, 2014 06:38AM
Bearproof
chick-on
Yep that is me...but your yacht. Not sure that qualifies me.

Tru. prob. allowed in on temp basis on account of all the swearing about puttin ur life in danger...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2014 06:38AM by chick-on.
August 26, 2014 05:21PM
lschaaf
I missed the wave, and I didn't want to invade your space....Plus it could have been someone else with a boat. You never know.

No problem. We kinda kept it down after saw you over yonder... although didn't know it was YOU at da time.
We moved on to top o da Crest for nap time after farting around w/ the boats on the lake.

Glad you had a nice time.... it was really nice out.

August 26, 2014 08:14PM
Thank you so much for posting this! Wouldn't have a pic of both of them out there otherwise!!!

Too bad u guys didn't manage to squawk loudly enough!!! Sunny (our cockatoo) can give you all lessons for long-distance communication!
August 27, 2014 06:31AM
Back at you!

smiling smiley

(wearing a blue jacket ... correct ?)

(note Z Old Stick N Bones Perret safely tucked away... guess still wurkin on Z boat-on license)

August 27, 2014 06:36AM
N Too others from trip ... stuff peeps will rec...

n if only Perrets could fly:

Didn't make it to Minnow... (16.8 miles for me for the day was enough... )

Have fun... maybe Perret post more. Gotta get back to it... wink

August 27, 2014 08:20PM
Yes that me in the blue jacket. I was having a little argument with a steri-pen.
September 02, 2014 05:30PM
Which model Steripen, may I ask? We've had some issues with various models. (Cold, clear water was causing us a lot of grief.) There are some models that have better sensors for determining that they are actually in water. I haven't been paying attention, not sure if they have "updated" the older models or not... I believe we've had the best luck with our little rechargeable Freedom. But currently we just carry the Sawyer Mini Filter and MSR Aquatabs in the Sierra. Scoop and go works well for us. If we have to mule our water, we just load up the Platys with "dirty" water and refill our side bottle which uses the Sawyer. Or use tabs in the Platys to have a lot of water handy for dinner/breakfast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2014 05:31PM by JustKeepWalking.
September 03, 2014 06:52AM
I've been very happy with the Opti - prior discussion where the pink chicken traded his earlier model Steripen in for an Opti.
September 03, 2014 07:32AM
ttilley
I've been very happy with the Opti - prior discussion where the pink chicken traded his earlier model Steripen in for an Opti.

Yup. And I thank you again! The Opti worked like a charm for 3 years... until trip w/ wifie to Edith n Vernon n ...
on last day it would not turn off... so back to REI it went... and I picked up a new one.
Couple of rechargable 123A batts... and it has saved me a LOT of money...
I'm sooooo sold on it. It's not putting any chems or anything in the water... and it's not
simply dip and drink.. which I prefer to not take that chance unless needed.

September 04, 2014 11:14AM
It is a Steripen traveler I got in a warranty exchange from the maker a couple of years ago, after I dropped the previous one at Lower Palisades Lake.
This time it keep turning off early, even after I changed the batteries. Luckily I always carry a spare. Still lighter and easier than the Katadyn filter I carried for years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login