Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Needing new 2-3 day Trip suggestions due to fire!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Needing new 2-3 day Trip suggestions due to fire!
September 10, 2014 02:26PM
Hey everyone,

Was looking to do a TM through Cathedrial Lakes and Sunrise lakes down to the valley, but due to the fire, it looks like those will be closed for a while (looking to go Oct. 10th-12th).

Trying to scramble up a great 3 day- 2 night hike for me and my buddies who have never been to Yosemite. Do you guys have any suggestions of area's that are great this time of year that aren't effected by the fire?

Thanks for all the help!

Tim
September 10, 2014 05:52PM
You'll want to check local conditions for smoke, as well.

Look at something further south, like Illilouette Canyon, Rush Creek on the East Side.

Ten Lakes Basin would also be a nice hike

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Needing new 2-3 day Trip suggestions due to fire!
September 10, 2014 06:04PM
I'd form a backup plan, as you're doing, but not give up on the original (if possible...). You're a month away, and firefighters seem to be attacking the fire pretty aggressively per InciWeb. The number of personnel keeps increasing, now over 400, the acreage growth has slowed quite substantially. But definitely have a backup and follow what's going on with the fire, it was pretty minor until a heavy wind came up Sunday.
September 11, 2014 06:24AM
It's > 550 now... and 25% contained. I'd be very astounded if the area isn't open by then.
1 month... They're gonna have this thing squashed within a week...

The weekend there... that is the last weekend you can park overnight along Tioga Rd...
So I still stand by what I said before... just pick up permit on way up... and park on rd.
Play around... n hike back to car.

Or pick 9 million other great places to go in the sierra... just be prepared for cold and
the start of the "uh... this is why I've been bringing a video player with me ever since
one which was convenient to carry has been available".

Lyell, Youngs, Glen Aulin, Cathedral, Sunrise, ... they all good. Esp. since never been.
GCT... for first timer.. w/ only 3 days... prob. bad idea... can't park AT WW.. etc. etc.

Have fun n be safe n warm

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 10, 2014 06:18PM
Do Desolation. Gorgeous and a lot less crowded after Labor Day.
September 11, 2014 01:28PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone... I'm looking at all of them currently.

KC,

I can't seem to find Desolation in Yosemite... pardon my newness, can you give me the full name of the location you are suggesting?

Thanks!

Tim
September 11, 2014 02:31PM
My guess: either the Desolation Wilderness, near Lake Tahoe, or Desolation Lake in Humphreys Basin. One is north of Yosemite, the other south. Can't go wrong with either one.
September 11, 2014 05:17PM
September 11, 2014 03:05PM
If he's talking crowds, it's Desolation Wilderness, of Highway 50 west of Lake Tahoe. And it is less crowded after Labor Day but still gets a lot of people.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 12, 2014 08:24AM
Desolation Wilderness. Been exploring the northern half lately. Beautiful and there aren't any crowds. Will see people if u go outta Echo Lakes where the ferry is or Emerald Bay, but going in out of Loon Lake, Sugar Pine Pt. State Park, or even Wright's Lake is a different story.
September 18, 2014 04:48PM
A backup plan likely is required. From an email I received today regarding a reserved permit:

Yosemite Permit Reservations
The John Muir Trail between the Half Dome trail junction and Sunrise High Sierra Camp is expected to remain closed for the rest of the season.
September 18, 2014 05:25PM
A good portion of the Desolation Wilderness is currently closed due to the King Fire. Maybe plan C?

ttilley
A backup plan likely is required. From an email I received today regarding a reserved permit:

Yosemite Permit Reservations
The John Muir Trail between the Half Dome trail junction and Sunrise High Sierra Camp is expected to remain closed for the rest of the season.
September 18, 2014 05:35PM
Hmm...here's a page on the Desolation closure. Everything in El Dorado NF outside the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit is closed, LTBMU is recommending against travel in it's part of the wilderness.

By the way, SF Gate is reporting an alleged arsonist was arrested for the King Fire. Yuck (not for the quick arrest...).

Edit: OK, wow! That thing shot up-canyon 14 miles all the way to Hell Hole Reservoir in a single day. InciWeb Page

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2014 06:37PM by ttilley.
September 26, 2014 05:24PM
It looks like the closure has been further updated to allow day-travel on the JMT between Sunrise Lakes and Little Yosemite:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/Meadow-Fire-Safety-Closures-Update-for-September-26-2014.htm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login