Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Highway 4 and 108 fall colors?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Highway 4 and 108 fall colors?
October 03, 2014 10:16PM
Hi!

Heading for a short one night trip to the Sierras next week. Driving from bay area. Will spend night in Arnold or Sonora or ?
Have driven 108 a few times but never done any real hiking on it. Explored PCT for a short distance around Sonora pass last year.
Never been on 4.

Looking for day hike suggestions. Preferences: sub-alpine lakes, granite, fall colors . Ranger station folks said I need to be in the pass area, ebbets or Sonora, to see colors
But no trail suggestions.

Thanks!
October 04, 2014 07:18AM
Depends on how big a hike u wanna do. Saddle between Bull Run and Henry Peak is a nice and short 6 mile round tripper from Pacific Valley, highway 4. Just a ton of stuff out there. If you can, the 4-108 loop drive is worth doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2014 07:19AM by KC.
October 04, 2014 09:08AM
Thanks. I'll check it out. 6 miles sounds good. We'll have time for a half day hike on Thursday and a near full day hike on Friday, before we head back (around 4 pm).

Have you hiked Leavitt Peak? That's one I'm thinking of for Friday. I just realized it's hunting season. Wondering if hunters like that area...
October 05, 2014 09:07PM
You'll see some hunters for sure. Just did Sierra Buttes and saw some hunters on the way down. If u are on 4, it's also worth checking out Highland Lakes. Tryon Peak is close to the lakes and definitely worth climbing. 108 is great too but sadly I have yet to get to Leavitt.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login