Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sunrise Trailhead Restoration - Asphalt Removal/Boardwalk Construction

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Sunrise Trailhead Restoration - Asphalt Removal/Boardwalk Construction
October 17, 2014 12:53PM
Yosemite Conservancy and the Roads/Trails Department will begin restoration of the Sunrise Trailhead on Monday, October 20th. Removal of the asphalt trail and excavation on the filled wetland area by the Roads Department is scheduled to last 4-8 days. The construction of the boardwalk will be done by the Trails Department and will consist of 4-6 weeks of construction or until the snow flies. During the construction hikers will be rerouted around the construction to the Tenaya Creek Crossing.
avatar Re: Sunrise Trailhead Restoration - Asphalt Removal/Boardwalk Construction
October 17, 2014 07:36PM
Doesn't sound like they're putting in a bridge.

October 21, 2014 05:57PM
OT: but I really missed the high water this year... I LOVE that crossing when it's high and COLD, especially at the end of the day... LOVE the pic!
October 22, 2014 12:15PM
JustKeepWalking
OT: but I really missed the high water this year... I LOVE that crossing when it's high and COLD, especially at the end of the day... LOVE the pic!

For those of us with less of an affinity for freezing, maybe we could have a boardwalk across the high-water area. "Certain people" could then choose to go "off trail" and into the water anyway! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Seriously, though, I've had a couple of times where I've chosen to turn back for lack of a bridge and a corresponding inability to find what I felt was a safe way across some high water but, overall, I'd prefer to see as little sign of "improvements" in these areas as possible. Some place to leave my car, possibly some bear lockers and a reasonable indicator of the trailhead. I know that there are others on the list that would consider even that excessive development (not to mention a certain group that thinks the only point of the trailhead is to determine which route NOT to take! no, stop, enough!
avatar Re: Sunrise Trailhead Restoration - Asphalt Removal/Boardwalk Construction
October 28, 2014 05:30AM
David,
I agree there should be some reasonable indicator of a trailhead. The first time I did that one I wondered around and eventually crossed the trickle of a stream either above or below the actually crossing (don't recall which) and then eventually stumbled onto the trail.
Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login