All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Glacier Point and Sentinel Dome - TR
November 30, 2014 03:32PM
Since we didn’t have any obligations the Friday after Thanksgiving, my wife and I decided to take a short day trip to Yosemite. When I heard that Glacier Point road was open I figured I’d take advantage of what would hopefully be (come on rain and snow!) my last opportunity in 2014.

Our first stop was a pullout to see the effects of the recent fires near Foresta.

While there I picked up a bit of trash that is certainly not my type of snack food. No offense if you partake of such delicacies...

We chose to go visit Glacier Point first and hopefully avoid some of the crowds, then return to hike up Sentinel Dome. Wonderful views as always and we had very good visibility, although many areas were still deep in shadow. Not much water going over the falls either, but you could still hear them.

Obligatory eastward shot.

I enjoyed our view of Mt. Watkins, which we had hiked to back in August

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,76420,76506#msg-76506

And of course a “zoomer” of Watkins shows a recognizable tree

Speaking of “zoomers”, the Diving Board was well lit and quite a sight. Maybe someday…….

We spent more time poking around, enjoying the relatively sparse crowds, then we headed to Sentinel Dome. It was still quite clear and you could easily see the outline of Mt Diablo in the bay area.

Zoomed in on Mt. Diablo.

I just liked this photo, as it makes the dome look steeper than it seems when we’re there.

Based on the number of cars in parking lot we weren’t expecting any privacy and there wasn’t much to be had.

Lots of people to be sure (I think it was a guided walk or something), but while I prefer solitude, I also figure it’s a good thing that people get out there to enjoy the parks and will hopefully be advocates in the future. Just a very short walk away from the summit and the voices would drift away and you could still have a spot to yourself.

Not much snow yet, but I hope this storm will change that.

Hello Mt. Conness!

After some time at the summit we headed down and spent a short while in the valley.

And then we were headed home, watching the clouds rolling in and enjoying the sunset……… a sunset that we probably should have stayed in Yosemite to see. Next time.

And finally a Google Earth GPS track.

Good Times! Looking forward to the next trip!
avatar Re: Glacier Point and Sentinel Dome - TR
November 30, 2014 07:55PM
JasonS
While there I picked up a bit of trash that is certainly not my type of snack food. No offense if you partake of such delicacies...

At least it wasn't Chick-on!
December 01, 2014 06:35AM
tongue sticking out smiley

Like Z Peekchure of Mt. Diablo... (on account dat be Devils Dancefloor in the foreground)

Chick-on is looking at you!
December 05, 2014 09:50PM
Very nice. Thanks for sharing. My recent trip in November had Glacier Point Road and Tioga pass closed until the day after I left. :-(
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login