All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Wilderness Permit: Can I do this?
January 20, 2015 07:25AM
I want to start at Glacier Point, but camp past Little Yosemite Valley on my first night. There is no selection for this on the permits page. Can I get a permit for Happy Isles to Sunrise/Merced Lake (pass-through), but start at GP as long as I camp in the Sunrise/Merced area on my first night?

I don't see any reason why I couldn't do this as the quota system seems to be more concerned with where you are camping you first night rather rather than starting location, but then again I could also easily see it the other way around.

Thanks,

Matt
Re: Wilderness Permit: Can I do this?
January 20, 2015 09:20AM
If your permit says Happy Isles to Sunrise, then you are supposed to start at Happy Isles. If is says GP to Sunrise, then start at GP. Rangers are concerned about two things...trail overuse AND where they should look for you in case you're overdue. If you go "off track" then that makes S&R is more difficult.

BTW I'm not sure Sunrise/Merced Lake is an exit trail head. Might have to list Tenaya lake as the exit.
avatar Re: Wilderness Permit: Can I do this?
January 20, 2015 09:51AM
No, you have to start at the Trailhead on your permit.

You cannot start at Glacier Pt. with a Happy Isles Permit.

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 20, 2015 09:52AM
You should get the Glacier Pt. to LYV permit. And then you can go thru LYV on day 1 and camp beyond.
You cannot get the GP to Illilouette and camp beyond LYV on your first night.

Doze r the rules.

January 20, 2015 12:59PM
Thanks, I kinda figured that might be the case, wanted to make sure. BTW I am not listing Sunrise as an exit, I am taking the JMT out of the park.

Chick-On: I thought about getting the GP to LYV permit, but doesn't that mean I HAVE to camp in LYV on night 1, that I cannot go beyond there until Day 2?
January 20, 2015 02:58PM
mts4602
Chick-On: I thought about getting the GP to LYV permit, but doesn't that mean I HAVE to camp in LYV on night 1, that I cannot go beyond there until Day 2?

It's my understanding that you are allowed to hike past LYV with GP to LYV permit.
That is what I was told in the past. Things change though and you could get a ranger who
says that is not allowed. The current map says that is the case (first night in LYV).
They have moved permits around the last couple of years (Sunrise has been decreased for example)...
so what happens every year is a bit of a guessing game it seems.

With the Meadow First closures... and the state of affairs in that area... I am surprised they are even
issuing permits for passthru to Merced Lake. I would not camp in the Bunnell Cascade area
(Moraine Dome "campground" ) ... I'd go to the bridges below Bunnell pt. or beyond ...

Sorry if not much help here... Did I mention I L-O-V-E "off season" self permitting?

January 30, 2015 12:59PM
It was mentioned there was some doubt that Sunrise could be used as an exit trailhead. You should be able to exit at any trailhead. Not sure why Sunrise would be any exception.
January 20, 2015 03:19PM
So you're going to ask for a JMT permit, starting at GP ? If you get a JMT permit, you can camp anywhere except restricted areas. Restricted areas include the "front country", LYV, Half Dome, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login