All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Bicyclists seek access to parts of the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT)
January 22, 2015 11:07AM
“In two decades of mountain biking Jeff Barker has covered a lot of northern California terrain.

But he's still waiting for the day when he and his cycling friends can legally ride non-wilderness portions of the Pacific Crest Trail, the epic hiking and equestrian trail that stretches 2,650 miles between Mexico and Canada.

"There is just a divide with a small percentage of the world who think it is sacrilegious to put wheels on a National Scenic Trail," said Barker, of Eldorado Hills, Calif.”

http://www.rgj.com/story/life/outdoors/recreation/2015/01/21/pacific-crest-trail-mountain-biking-wild-hiking/22105559/

avatar Re: Bicyclists seek access to parts of the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT)
January 22, 2015 03:56PM
They already ride illegally in the San Bernardino National Forest. And it is causing a lot of bad trail erosion.
January 22, 2015 05:26PM
eeek

They already ride illegally in the San Bernardino National Forest. And it is causing a lot of bad trail erosion.

Bicyclist tend to ride illegally everywhere. It's hard to name another set of people who ignore more laws so blithely.

January 22, 2015 07:41PM
plawrence
Bicyclist tend to ride illegally everywhere. It's hard to name another set of people who ignore more laws so blithely.

Most of them don't seem to care a bit about stop signs. Almost decorated my grill a few times because of that.
January 22, 2015 09:11PM
eeek

Most of them don't seem to care a bit about stop signs. Almost decorated my grill a few times because of that.

A favorite pastime of many bicyclist where I live is to ride at night wearing dark clothing with none of the required reflectors and lights installed on their bikes, often against traffic. This "stealth cycling" seems to be the in thing among some of them.

Re: Bicyclists seek access to parts of the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT)
January 23, 2015 09:55AM
I really dislike (extremely strongly) hiking in areas that allow mountain bikers. I've almost been hit on the trail a number of times, most I've seen have no understanding of the right of way priorities, and the erosion I've seen is atrocious. I'm not in favor.
January 22, 2015 04:49PM
Are bikes allowed on the A.T. ?

(rhetorical question)

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 22, 2015 05:33PM
chick-on

(rhetorical question)

Even pack animals (including llamas) are prohibited on the A.T.
Llama
January 22, 2015 07:43PM
chick-on

What about the Ledge Trail?
January 22, 2015 08:07PM
Downhill only...

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 23, 2015 12:17PM
Of course!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login