All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar A Hint of Spring in Sequoia
March 30, 2015 05:06PM
It is hard to escape talk and images of the dry Sierra. I figured the best way was to get to the higher altitudes, and get a spring-like (or at least early summer) experience. Headed to Sequoia. I had heard that poppy blooms were pretty good a week earlier in the Sequoia foothills. Three Rivers was 85 degrees and the hills were brown when I arrived. I think the heat did a number on the poppies within a week. Spring wasn't looking very good so far.

Things were looking a bit better after entering the park, although the Kaweah River looked pretty low.

Checked out sunset from Morro Rock

Headed to the Watchtower the next day. There were logs across the trail at the junction with the Hump trail. A sign said that the Watchtower trail was closed for access to Pear Lake, and to take the Hump trail.
Here is the view, if I would have gone that way. tongue sticking out smiley

There was virtually no snow until reaching the Watchtower on the Watchtower trail.

Headed back to the Hump trail junction and up the Hump trail.

On to Twin Lakes the next day. No snow until a little bit past Cahoon Pass. Only had a few hundred feet of snow crossing. Stream crossings were no problem.

At least a few feet of snow at Twin Lakes, and the lakes were partially frozen.

It was starting to feel a little bit like spring, or at least early summer
Reminded of the dry Sierra when coming home and seeing an article in the LA Times:
http://www.latimes.com/science/la-me-yosemite-20150329-story.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2015 05:02PM by yosemitejim.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login