Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Status around Green Creek

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Status around Green Creek
April 02, 2015 07:15AM
I was really glad to discover this forum - I live a long ways away but have become a Yosemite addict.

I have an opportunity to do an overnight in the last week of April. Am considering doing a trip similar to the one described in this earlier post (yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,76601,76613#msg-76613), but starting at the Green Creek trailhead, heading up past Green, East, Gilman, Hoover and Summit Lakes, then into Yosemite, up to Virginia Pass, and then following Glines Canyon back down to Green Lake and the trailhead. In a normal year I would never consider something like this so early in the season, but given the paucity of snow, it may be doable by then. Can anyone comment on the likely feasibility of this hike in another 3.5 weeks?

There are only like a zillion other options if this one won't work, and I may rule it out just because I won't have time to adjust to the altitude. An alternative is an out-and-back from Cherry Lake to Boundary Lake - not quite as high and I believe less strenuous.
avatar Re: Status around Green Creek
April 02, 2015 07:05PM
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
I was really glad to discover this forum - I live a long ways away but have become a Yosemite addict.

There are only like a zillion other options if this one won't work, and I may rule it out just because I won't have time to adjust to the altitude. An alternative is an out-and-back from Cherry Lake to Boundary Lake - not quite as high and I believe less strenuous.

Boundary Lake will be quite a bit easier. The gate at Cherry Dam opens on April 15th so the trailhead will be at Shingle Spring instead of the dam so the one way mileage is about 10 with about 2K in elevation gain spread out over the 10 miles. A couple of punches but not bad. If you do go to Boundary keep your eyes open for the right turn as you head down into Lord Meadow.

Old Dude
Re: Status around Green Creek
April 02, 2015 10:01PM
Thanks. Do you know the status on road closures in the area north of highway 120 between Groveland and entrance to Yosemite, particularly those going up to Cherry Lake? When I was there last June a number of those roads were closed due to the 2013 fires.
April 03, 2015 11:20AM
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
Thanks. Do you know the status on road closures in the area north of highway 120 between Groveland and entrance to Yosemite, particularly those going up to Cherry Lake? When I was there last June a number of those roads were closed due to the 2013 fires.

All are open except the roads at Cherry Dam which will open April 15th. Maybe the road from Tuolumne City to cherry is still closed.

Old Dude
April 07, 2015 07:50AM
Glines will still be covered in snow... at least I would bet that... since it is north facing...
and the drop from Virginia is quite steep...
At least that is what I would plan for... but imo it would be worth it to simply get to Green...
plop down... and go explore...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login