Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Storing cookware at night?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Storing cookware at night?
April 07, 2015 09:56PM
Hey Folks!

I tried FBC and decided it wasn't for me so now I plan on doing dehydrated one pot meals. Even with a nice wipe down/cleaning, would you recommend leaving the pot/pan in a bear can? I've heard some folks just leave it up upright at night on top of the bear can. Something about bears noticing there's no food so they give up? Also would you have any recommendations on a aluminum pot/pan that would fit in the BV500 and 450 cans?

Thanks!
Kevin
Re: Storing cookware at night?
April 08, 2015 01:45AM
KevinD
Even with a nice wipe down/cleaning, would you recommend leaving the pot/pan in a bear can?
Kevin

No,... HYOH, but...just leave your clean pot outside somewhere...no worries...
April 08, 2015 06:54AM
We're with Marksor. We make sure everything is clean, then leave the "kitchen" (stove, pot, cups, etc) on a rock away from our tent...and not necessarily near our bear can.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
April 24, 2015 02:49PM
balzaccom
We're with Marksor. We make sure everything is clean, then leave the "kitchen" (stove, pot, cups, etc) on a rock away from our tent...and not necessarily near our bear can.

What about fuel? I intend to keep it in my sleeping bag or pack to keep it warm for early morning use.
thanks!
Appreciate the help!

-Kevin
avatar Re: Storing cookware at night?
April 24, 2015 03:38PM
Ur worrying too much...

I have my bear can and food stuffs and pot and pan and all my goodies within arm reach.
That way when I awake up I can reach over and have my breffy...

Dis how I dooz it:

I like to have my backpack under my feets... too...

A couple of years ago I had conversation with rangers to the effect of:
"well... do you want me to tell you what is on the permit about where to put my bear can or what I do" ?

For a long time when getting ur permit they would tell you to put ur can far away... but that all changed last
year or year before iirc when they started telling people to keep them closer on account some
bears started coming by and whacking them in attempt to shove them over cliffs and whatnot to open them.
So... it turned out I was right?

Anywho... you are worrying too much. In LYV... yeah.. go read the board there and put ur stuff in
bear box... but just about anywhere else...

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 24, 2015 03:53PM
Or, if on a trip with the Chick-on is looking at you!, just slather the Chickon Boo with butter when no one is looking and the bears will leave you and any cookware alone. (The Chick-on avec les pieds, well, not so much...)

Hey, isn't that "Jorges Mountain" in the background?
April 24, 2015 03:59PM
Hah yea I guess I'm worrying too much. Been scared of bears since I ran into one in Alaska when I was young. Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I'll see you folks out there sometime!

By the way check on, your picasa album is full of great shots! Makes me want to do a overnighter this weekend.

-Kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 04:03PM by KevinD.
April 24, 2015 08:30PM
chick-on
So... it turned out I was right?

On the recent Cherry trip, I had to say "Yes, you were right." (Different issue.) I owned it and said it very clearly to satisfy the pink one.
April 25, 2015 09:39AM
Years ago, when bear canisters were a recent development, I had a bear spent a considerable amount of time attacking my bear can,
which was about 20 feet from the tent. Although he scratched and put bite marks all over the old Garcia, he wasn't able to get it open.
It made for a long night.
I believe this was 1993, at Kearsarge Lakes. I still have that old bear canister. Now, I make sure whatever canister I am using is
a good 100 ft. away. I just sleep better. I put the pots out there too. If a bear want to play with them during the night, fine, so long as
he let's me sleep. I'll gather things up in the AM. It's just what works for me.
April 25, 2015 10:25AM
lschaaf
Years ago, when bear canisters were a recent development, I had a bear spent a considerable amount of time attacking my bear can,
which was about 20 feet from the tent. Although he scratched and put bite marks all over the old Garcia, he wasn't able to get it open.
It made for a long night.

You just let him keep trying?
April 25, 2015 10:54AM
It was a big bear, the bear was growling, leaping on the can, and the can kept slipping away. Really pissed the bear off. I'm in the tent watching with a flashlight.
The light seemed to annoy him more, so I turned it off.
Finally the noise stopped when the can rolled down the hill. I thought I was going to have to hike out hungry, but I found the can the next morning a the side of
the lake when I went to filter water. There was sand all ground into the lid, deep scratches and bite marks all over it, but it was intact. I had my food.

Yes, now days I know to throw rocks at the bear, but at the time I just hid in the tent. I was also relatively new to hiking alone. I think the bear had never seen a container he couldn't get into, and he was very determined.
It happened to be my 38th birthday- memorable

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2015 03:17PM by lschaaf.
April 25, 2015 12:13PM
As usual the Yosemite Valley BP site was completely packed this AM…tents and bodies everywhere…The late-arriving stragglers having filled in the holes. It was just that time when the early-morning risers, the actual backpackers, begin thinking about their day’s journey just ahead. Cowboy camping myself, I heard a noise, only to discover a bear just an arms distance away playing with my Bearikade, (much like a trained seal). He was lying on his back, all four legs in the air, my Bearikade being somehow balanced on his nose…comical.

I got up, yelled out “Bear!”… (You all have heard this before)…others/everybody immediately arose and came on over – a similar scene played out probably every night somewhere in Yosemite Valley. This bear here was small to mid-sized…maybe 150 - 200 pounds, and, unfortunately, already sporting a numbered collar and an ear tag, indicative of his recent past being somewhat jaded, a problematic denizen. He was obviously unafraid of man and more than accustom to the usual banging of pots, yelling, etc….(this bear, unless it soon developed some fear, he was destined for a quick demise).

Walking over, I began searching for a few granite chunks – persuaders...something to bounce off the bear’s rear end but, just as soon as I found a supply of the right-sized ammo, my intended aim was thwarted by the now fast-arriving curious masses, just up. Amazingly most arrived toting along their cell phone cameras, now situated between me and the bear. The many camera users (frickin’ technology meets wilderness) actually formed a close circle around the bear, taking pictures, and because of this crowding/ lack of view, the hung-over bike riders (about 10 - 15 Germans camping over, riding from SF to NYC), unable to see the bear but nonetheless still intrigued, decided to climb up on their bicycles and form another outer circle around the bear.

So there we all were: the bear in the center of the BP campground, playing with my Bearikade, a close choreographed circle of cell phone, photo-takers gathered around the bear, an outer ring of bicyclists trying to see the bear, another ring of campers’ content with merely standing far away but still banging their pots …and then there were the backpackers. This was how my morning started, site 12, BP campsite…I honestly thought I was in one of those old Hollywood musicals where they show the overhead shots, like the ones directed by Busby Berkley.

Just when I thought that it couldn't get any stranger, another bear walked into the picture…the crowd hushed, immediately reacting to this new presence and temporarily parting, allowing the two bears enough room to come together. The first bear took a big (audible) sniff of this new arriving bear. Turns out, this new bear was a female, and the first one a male. How could I tell? Guess? Now it was time for act two.

Yes, my friends, this was a real nature lesson. My still intact bear can now forgotten, he quickly demonstrated what healthy bears also can do in the springtime woods. I had never seen bears mating…just like dogs but with bigger smiles…all happening in the center of the Valley campground. Everybody started hooping and laughing, the camera folk momentarily paused then took even more pictures, the bike riders, they started singing, and the pot-bangers…well they finally did stop banging their pots…thank God.

After a good 20 minute show, replete with bear-moanings, they separated. The crowd started to applaud…a standing ovation…(he was impressive). The sun up and the day starting, everyone went back to their own holes, getting ready for whatever the Sierra day offered.
Interesting the varying reactions heard among the populous there afterwards. The college kids didn't want anyone to report the bear’s ear-tag number, afraid that if reported, the Rangers would surely put the bear down. The bikers, a drunken breed among themselves, went back to their drinking and more fiddling with their bikes. The cell-phone tourists ambled away to the Curry cafeteria. One remaining backpacker seemed to put it in perspective. I overheard him say aloud, “I do not have time for this foolishness; the hiking season has started.”
April 26, 2015 12:39AM
markskor
“I do not have time for this foolishness...

I wonder what foolishness that he did have time for? grinning smiley
April 27, 2015 03:53PM
markskor
As usual the Yosemite Valley BP site was completely packed this AM…tents and bodies everywhere….snip

Thank you for the enjoyable story
I will never look at stays at YV BP quite the same again smiling smiley
I guess it doesn't have to be in the wood for the bears. . .
April 27, 2015 04:11PM
Was just remmebering our stays in the BP camp in the Valley long time ago. Super quiet. Very pleasant. I think once there were a few others. Times changed? Can't remember season... But I remember the nights were super pleasant, so wasn't winter. Haven't been in ages, it seems...After this description... May not for some time to come...
April 28, 2015 12:45PM
It's better than the car campgrounds, and at times can be convenient and quiet, but it's best to have earplugs...just in case.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login