Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Changing route... thoughts?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Changing route... thoughts?
April 15, 2015 05:52PM
Hey guys. I have a GP-> Happy Isles permit for mid May. I had originally thought about including Echo Valley/Bunnell Cascade as part of the loop but am seriously reconsidering due to the fire damage and I assume the water wont be as spectacular as originally hoped due to the lack of snow melt. So what I am thinking is this:

Day 1:GP-> LYV
Day 2: LYV to Sunrise creek just below the pass
Day 3:To upper Cathedral Lake
Day 4: Backtrack then over to Sunrise Lakes and camping near the summit of Clouds at one of the "sites" listed in recent threads.
Day 5: Down Clouds to LYV and to Happy via Mist Trail

Any red flags? I know that it will be a full day coming from upper Cathedral to Clouds and Day 5 will be about 11 miles of downhill. I cant find anything unreasonable about the trip but would love any advice. This will be my second Yosemite trip and I have been backpacking all over the country and overseas for years. Thanks!!!
avatar Re: Changing route... thoughts?
April 15, 2015 06:52PM
Do your original loop. Keep an open mind. The views are open.
Echo Valley is NOT "damaged" / burned.
Little Yosemite Valley thru Lost Valley (where Bunnell Cascade is) is burned...
beyond that it is gorgeous... beyond gorgeous.
There is burn on the route you are proposing... (from just beyond CR/JMT jct. ... past Forsyth.. and beyond up JMT a bit)

If you want to completely avoid any burn areas you have to go out and back the Clouds Rest trail.

Hope this makes sense..

(I'd go LYV->Echo Valley->Echo to Upper Cath/Sunrise HSC -> Sunrise Lakes -> Clouds Rest / down)

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 15, 2015 07:02PM
Listen to Chick-on. Read Echoes of Spring. That was a lovely trip up the Merced Canyon into Echo Valley. I've actually really enjoyed the walks through the burned bits of LYV since last fall. The views are worth it! And the Merced River Canyon is always worth the walk!
April 15, 2015 08:51PM
I wouldn't change it. Echo Valley is amazing.
April 16, 2015 09:34AM
Thanks guys! Chick-on, I may send you a PM if you don't mind.
avatar Re: Changing route... thoughts?
April 16, 2015 11:47AM
dgreene
Thanks guys! Chick-on, I may send you a PM if you don't mind.

I don't mind. et al

I sorta spend a bit of time in da woods... so if over fri-mon ... then be patient

Have fun

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login