Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Fifty-Eight Shades of Cherry

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Fifty-Eight Shades of Cherry
April 23, 2015 07:02AM
Once again, we found ourselves heading towards Kibbie Lake--this time with the benefit of no snow and, it being the first weekend after April 15, an open Shingle Springs road. For one member of our party, this would be his first trip to Kibbie Lake and our other destinations. The previous snowbound trip--probably the last time there was persistent snow at this elevation--had been great, with one small exception: despite an extensive search, Yosemite Boundary Marker 58 had not been found, mostly due to deep snow in its purported location. Oh, and we were kind of looking in the wrong place.

So, anyway, after a nice stroll up the Kibbie and Styx Pass trail, then along Kibbie Ridge, we descended to the location that the survey notes Bearproof had uncovered indicated it should be. As we got closer, the pink bird was excited to be the first to see it, right where we thought it should be. It was, in fact, very well marked.

"Inconceivable!"

We were of course all happy that we'd found the marker so quickly--we would have much more time to hang out and check out Kibbie Lake. So, after a bit of a celebration and in good spirits, we headed down to Kibbie Lake.

"That is the sound of ultimate suffering... The man in pink makes it now."

After locating a suitable campsite at Kibbie Lake, we set up our tents then headed up-breeze to the outlet, where a small granite peninsula provided the perfect launch location for the Kibbie Lake armada.

The breeze generally pushed us north as we headed along the east shore of the lake, taking pictures and just hanging out.

The new Supai Adventure Gear Matkat boat--supposedly the first in the United States--proved to be very yar, as was the slightly smaller Canyon Flatwater. Even with hand paddes and slightly choppy water it didn't take much effort to build up a bit of speed across the water. As for the pink-laden "Blue Bomber"... not so much.

"I don't think he is using the same wind we are using..."

I ended up hand-paddling for a bit over two miles, checking out the two coves on the east side of the lake before a final into-the-wind sprint back to camp. The boat provided for a perspective of the lake's cliffs not available from land--well worth the extra 2+ lbs of pack weight.

At camp, we had plenty of time to hang out and enjoy our company, some wine, the sunset, and some good ol' ribbing.

Our next day's itinerary was a lot more ambitious: up to Kibbie Ridge, then past Mercur Lake, down into Cherry Creek Canyon, and finally down to the bottom of Cherry Bomb Gorge at a place informally called "Flintstone". The cross-country trek back to the Styx Pass trail was mostly pleasant, with just a bit of shrubby goodness at the end.

We took a slight detour to visit Monument 59--the first one I had stumbled across a few years ago.

After stopping to fill up on water at Sachse Spring, we checked out the snow survey cabin, then headed north towards an old abandoned trail that leads to Mercur Lake.

Along the trail we got our first glimpses of "Mercur Ridge" and the heart of Cherry Creek Canyon.

Just before dropping to Mercur Lake we encountered the only significant snow of the entire trip--fortunately, soft enough to gain good footing, but consolidated enough that postholing was rarely an issue.

The sky was clear and there was a decent breeze; so far the possible showers mentioned in the forecast looked like they may not materialize.

After eating at the lake, we headed up to the top of "Mercur Ridge", a broad expanse of granite with excellent views into Cherry Creek Canyon and many high points in both Yosemite and the Emigrant Wilderness.

There was little snow on the distant peaks, and Cherry Creek's low level was not surprising.

We took many pictures while wandering westward along the ridge, then started our long descent into Cherry Creek Canyon.

The way down was long but mostly straightforward, with a few sections of steep granite that pushed the limits of our shoes' soles--and our trust in them.

By this time we could see the twin domes that surround Cherry Bomb Gorge--our destination was just beyond.

The forecast clouds were building rapidly, and we knew we still had a lot of intricate cross-country travel before our destination.

Our progress to the canyon bottom was slow and steady--long sections of open, if not steep, granite punctuated by various route finding challenges.

Finally, only few final minor obstacles remained between us and the creek itself.

Once at water level we took a well-deserved rest--and, for some, a soak in cool, refreshing water.

The clouds were appearing a bit more threatening, so we continued down creek a bit before leaving the creek at the traditional Schiffren route location.

We had a few brushy sections to push through.

"We know the secrets of Cherry Creek Canyon. We lived there quite happily for some time. So whenever you feel like shrubbery, feel free to visit."

Fortunately, they were short, and punctuated with excellent views and wonderful open granite.

After the final brush thwack...

...we sought out the first descent campsite--a bit short of our original goal, but still a wonderful setting.

The wind was strong enough that after setting up camp, we sought out a sheltered location for dinner.

It had been a long day, but well worth it!

The next morning, after breakfast and breaking camp, we checked out a nearby view of the pool in upper Cherry Bomb Gorge.

"If you're in such a hurry, you could lower a rope, or a tree branch, or find something useful to do."

After slowly and carefully heading down as far as we dared, we headed back up and over the east dome, then descended to a small ledge overlooking Cherry Bomb Gorge, where we reunited with the others in our group.

After hanging out on this ledge for a bit, we continued the descent to "Flintstone", named for rock-constructed camp "furniture" that once graced the area. The forest service restored the area several years ago, and fortunately little stone-age furniture has re-appeared. From here we could see the final few "teacups" at the bottom of Cherry Bomb Gorge, spilling into a large pool.

From Flintstone, there are two "regular" routes to the Shingle Springs trailhead: down the creek, passing under the "chockstone", or up to Mastadome, then up a steep, wooded hill to Lookout Point and the Styx Pass trail. We, of course, went with option C.

The south side of Mastadome looked like it had a few interesting routes--a broad ledge that looked tricky to get to, and a lower, much narrower and exposed ledge that appeared to end prematurely.

After another section of butt-sliding and bushwhacking, we headed up steep, open granite as we ascended towards the top of Kibbie Ridge.

Just past a "mossy green slabs" section reminiscent of similar slabs near Shingle Springs, we stopped for lunch.

The up-down-up had been strenuous, and nourishment was welcome.

"It is odorless, tasteless, and ... is among the more deadly poisons known to man." It's also inconceivable that there are some people who don't like The Princess Bride. Yet we still hike with them...

The clouds were forming sooner today, and we soon were heading up again towards the ridge.

For awhile, we continued up steep, open granite, but that ended short of the top of the ridge.

We traversed a bit across some blocky granite before reaching a steep gully.

From the gully we had to climb up steep terrain, punctuated by shrubbery and fallen logs.

After awhile, we reached more gentle terrain--the top of the ridge was near.

Unfortunately, so too were the storm clouds.

Once we could see Cherry Lake we knew we were getting close.

After a short stroll through open forest--cleared by the recent Rim Fire of underbrush--we were back on the Styx Pass trail. The descent to the trailhead was uneventful--except that we stayed dry.

At the car we met a group of would-be kayakers asking about Cherry Creek conditions--we informed them that it was unlikely this would be an even good year to boat the creek, and there wasn't really enough snow left to create a "spring" runoff. (It's unbelievable that people actually haul watercraft into the backcountry...) However, the low water will make Cherry Creek more approachable for those who prefer to visit it on foot.

Overall, we had a great trip and were able to introduce someone new to this spectacular corner of Yosemite (and should-be-in-Yosemite).

More Pictures

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 07:29AM by basilbop.
avatar Re: Fifty-Eight Shades of Cherry
April 23, 2015 09:39AM
Awesome trip and report. I wish I was along to enjoy all of your company! And the pictures are awesome!

Has me wondering...if a picture is worth a thousand words...how much would a video or two be worth?
April 23, 2015 11:32AM
You *did* see the link, didn't you?
April 23, 2015 03:15PM
JustKeepWalking
You *did* see the link, didn't you?
OK now I see it...very nicely tucked into the fine print. Nice!
April 23, 2015 05:43PM
Always read the fine print!
April 23, 2015 09:49AM
April 23, 2015 09:54AM
More or less good fun...

Boatable

"keep ur "friends" close" ? (pretty hard too dooz in z Blue Bomber)

"Watch out... the bottom may be slippery" (repeat 400 times)

I'd dooz it agin... (well... not Fify Ate) And probably will... soon nuff...

Chick-on is looking at you!

April 23, 2015 09:59AM
One more:

April 23, 2015 10:50AM
Wow, thanks! I LOVE this shot! You know I'm a sucker for polished granite... sigh...
April 23, 2015 03:19PM
basilbop
It's also inconceivable that there are some people who don't like The Princess Bride. Yet we still hike with them...

To be fair, we know one of them saw it for the first time recently... (His not having seen it was a deficiency we HAD to correct...) The other can't recall... So he gets a short reprieve to refresh his knowledge...
April 23, 2015 03:25PM
JustKeepWalking
basilbop
It's also inconceivable that there are some people who don't like The Princess Bride. Yet we still hike with them...

To be fair, we know one of them saw it for the first time recently... (His not having seen it was a deficiency we HAD to correct...) The other can't recall... So he gets a short reprieve to refresh his knowledge...

Better to read the book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 03:27PM by eeek.
April 23, 2015 04:01PM
*I* did! Kudos to you, eeek!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 04:01PM by JustKeepWalking.
April 23, 2015 05:32PM
Read it many times for many years before the movie.
April 23, 2015 04:08PM
eeek
JustKeepWalking
basilbop

Better to read the book.

When I was your age television was called books.

???

April 23, 2015 08:02PM
Great trip report as usual. Rob had a great time and I wish I were there. I must note though that when I stepped over 58 last year, I did see it but didn't say anything as I didn't know why I was beign dragged through all that delicious scrubbery.

Old Dude
April 24, 2015 09:24AM
mrcondron
Great trip report as usual. Rob had a great time and I wish I were there. I must note though that when I stepped over 58 last year, I did see it but didn't say anything as I didn't know why I was beign dragged through all that delicious scrubbery.

It was a "few" years ago:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,66743,66743#msg-66743

tongue sticking out smiley

Didn't know... hehehe... u funni guy...

Z Old Stick N Fedders prolly told you "58 cannot be found... don't even look for it... get to camp immediately... daylight is burning"

April 23, 2015 09:16PM
Great report- thank you.
That last photo posted by chick-on is amazing!

I really can't imagine packing a flotation device on a backpacking trip.. but it looks like a lot of fun.
So... what are your pack weights? I see chairs too... just curious--
April 24, 2015 07:22AM
Oh boy... We don't really keep track like we used to...but, I did have all the packs weighed before we walked off.

2HalfHitches was 40 pounds
Chick-on 35 pounds
Basilbop 33 pounds
Me 27 pounds

I believe we did this with food and water (about 1 liter each) on-board, so not base weight.

My chair is 1lb 4 oz. My little boat is 1.5 pounds, (Basilbops's bigger boat is 1.75 lbs,) paddles are 7.6 oz/pair, so 2 pounds of fun! And I took around two pounds of a tent kit we took for bug protection.

2HalfHitches is getting back into the game after a bit of a hiatus and commented on how much stuff the rest of us managed to pack in.

Basilbop and I had started out very much with lightweight backpacking principles.. But we modify to suit our needs. If I took out all my luxuries, I'd be running about 12 pounds base, iirc (I had been down to 8 pounds base, and then added comfort back in). But the luxuries help. We go for the best balance of weight and utility we can.

The Zrest on my pack is a recent add after seeing how convenient it is based on watching Chick-on and mrconcdron and then Basilbop. I have said "I'll NEVER carry <x>" and now I've now been carrying a chair for years, added a ZRest, and now a boat! And all have added tremendously to my enjoyment. And as far as I can tell, haven't really impacted my ability to travel, even XC. Oh, and a stuffed bird... On longer trips, some of this stuff will get left behind, but...

More examples of "luxury": Basilbop was packing our big custom 16" Bearikade filled with all kinds of yummy goodies he shared (wine, bananas, cuties, Fritos, Cheetos, little muffins...). Chickon had our movie setup and external speaker and extra apple pies. We had a pump to blow up our boats and thermarests, batteries to recharge our goodies, camera gear, extra packtowls, etc etc. No suffering, lots of fun.

On any particular item, especially core-kit, any one of us can probably stand up to challenges on weight/utility. It's just that we have a variety that suits us, so it sounds like a lot.
April 24, 2015 09:26AM
Can o Hormell Chili ... priceless
Can o Chef Boy R Dee ... priceless
Blue Bomber Boat ... priceless

Getting Punked by "The Monumentals" ... not so priceless

(as said to TooHalfInches .. on day 2 .. when his feets were about to fall off ... dis trip purty easy so I bring lots of
goodies for everyone and a couple of cans of nom noms)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 09:27AM by chick-on.
April 24, 2015 11:34AM
chick-on
... dis trip purty easy so I bring lots of

At the end of the trip, 2halfhitches asks us what we would rate the trip as on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being hardest. Basilbop and I said 4 to 5. (Our reasoning: At this point, very little route-finding for the guys, and very little exposure. None of the "screw this up and you will die" type stuff. Screw it up and there could be major hurt, yes, but with care, major screw ups easy to avoid. But it's not a cake-walk and enough shrubby goodness. In fact, at one point, I yelled at a branch of a tree that would not let me up on a rock. I called it an "bleeping bleepity-bleep" I'm embarrassed to even get close to typing it out. I found out later that 2halfhitches thought I was yelling at Basilbop. Thankfully, Basilbop knew I wasn't mad at him, nor was I really mad at all, it's just one of those in-the-moment things when fighting my way through brush.)

After giving our number and reasoning, we find out Chick-on had said "2". And for him, probably accurate. He is on another plane, folks. I warned you in another post. Do your research and make sure you understand what you are getting into. Something "easy" for him, is not necessarily so for others!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 11:36AM by JustKeepWalking.
April 24, 2015 10:10AM
Very cool! I need to go back to Cherry... only time I've been there was 2013. That glacier polish is about the best I've seen anywhere.
April 24, 2015 11:15AM
Sorry about delay, but here are my musings...some of which may have already been addressed in pieces...

• On cold starts - I don't know how the guys do it. They just start out fast. Uphill. Loaded down. I can't. I just watched while 2halfhitches took off with Chick-on up the hill. Basilbop kindly stayed with me as I tried to warm up the engine. But I'm nothing if not steady, and once warmed-up I could keep up. But fair warning to anyone who tries to lead with Chick-on or Basilbop. You'd best know yourself, because those two.. they just quietly crank it up to keep up with whoever wants to play.
  • On the joy of finding 58 - Oh. Sublime. Truly sublime. It had been a conspiracy involving Bearproof and mrcondron (Old Dood) and I'd even told Chick-on's wife what we were doing! Bearproof, Basilbop and I had been trying to coordinate to place the bottle on 58 together, but schedules just kept getting in the way, and we knew we were against the clock. Chick-on was definitely hot to find it, especially after the coordinates were calculated. We *had* to get to it first. So, on the weekend when Chick-on was busy in the Valley on his anniversary, Basilbop, E and A went to Eleanor. Old Dood and 2HalfHitches happened to go that weekend, as well! Since I was gimpy and A wasn't feeling well, we sent Basilbop and E off to plant the bottle. Basilbop had been busily embellishing the bottle marker by creating fictitious "register notes" from real-life personalities, including newbie's little girl, R, who had been saying "What's the big idea?" on her maiden backpacking trip last year. He also decorated the site with Christmas ornaments which he had cleaned off trees off Snow Creek trail back when. And some flagging tape that had been collected along the way. Oh, and the bottle? He'd packed in a steel bottle (we wanted it to survive until Chick-on "found" it), but Basilbop found a plastic bottle on the trail on the way to 58, so transferred the goods to it. Handy! Lots of trail clean up and re-using going on! Very eco!

Anyway, I hadn't seen the site fully decorated. 2HalfHitches was the only person in the immediate chick-on sphere who didn't really know what was going on... and we were too worried about telling him, since he had already said something quite scary in the morning - he had either heard about how 50 had been sniped, or I had blabbed without realizing it when I met him at Eleanor. But what he said didn't really register with Chick-on at the time, so we dodged a bullet early on. As we got closer to 58, my anticipation grew, and I was worried about how we would be able to "capture" the moment with the camera in video mode. Chick-on, at one point, was suspicious and admonished Basilbop not to video the proceedings. Basilbop said he was just trying to figure out why his camera wasn't focusing anymore (The two have had numerous camera "issues" over the years, so this sounded almost plausible. But since I knew what was going on, and Basilbop's tone of voice, I could tell it wasn't quite right and was getting concerned... but again, right over the pink one's head, whew!

And just moments later, Chick-on was close enough to fully grasp what he was seeing. The video clip you get to see is just a wee bit of the entire proceedings. I think that in the future, if I'm ever feeling down, I shall play the full video back to cheer myself back up again.

We spent some time there, with Chick-on muttering to himself, reading the register notes, alternating between various moods. It was just lovely! I think I was alternating between laughing out loud and snickering the entire time.

This all took a few months to arrange, and we had to alternate between being quick on our feet (figuratively and literally) and being patient. There were several times when Chick-on was suspicious. Especially when he heard we'd been to Eleanor. This was on the Echoes of Spring trip. He wanted to see Basilbop's GPS tracks to see where he'd gone...this is where he pointed to the map half a mile or so away from the actual location and said "58 is here", to which Basilbop quietly said, "wouldn't the boundary marker be on the boundary line?" and I broke out laughing so hard in my chair, that Chick-on tipped me over on my back. I continued to laugh uncontrollably, partly from nervousness about his finding out about 58, kicking my legs in the air, at which point, Chick-on tipped me over sideways. It took a few minutes before I could breathe normally again... but the touchy moment about Basilbop being so close to 58 had been defused. Mission accomplished.

Huge thanks again to Bearproof, mrcondron and chick-on's wife for being able to keep the secret for so long.. though it might have dented Chick-on's trust in the goodness of the world somewhat. He's been paraphrasing the line from the Princess Bride "I always think everything is a trap.." quite often since...

You know what they say about payback.... and the thing about serving revenge cold? Also true. It took time and effort, but this was so very worth it.
  • On illegal firerings - Back to more normal musings... There is a campfire ban around Kibbie Lake. But as we walked the shore to the outlet, we found a very large, very fresh built-up campfire in a prime location. With a couple of full-size coffee filters with grounds in it. It all smelled and looked fresh. We were incensed. And did our best to clean the mess up, including packing out the blasted coffee filters, but it's near to impossible to totally remove the fire marks from the rock, and we had no clean up gear. I truly hope none of you who read this forum would condone this type of behavior. It's unconscionable and very selfish. A prime spot is now marked for some time by some folks who obviously feel entitled, and that the rules don't apply to them, and screw anyone who comes after them. Okay. Sorry to follow up a great moment in life with a major ick, but that's how it happened in real time.
  • On boating - While we were home on the weekend before tax day, we found out that the new Supai MatKat was indeed orderable, so we ordered one, and put one on hold for Chick-on, who was out roaming around Red Peak Pass that weekend. Since we ordered immediately, we received ours just in time for this trip. Chick-on's delivery missed him by a day.... Too bad, because our two Supai boats were flying around Kibbie. Chick-on had wanted to go in and out of the coves with us, but he quickly changed his plan to just trying to get from the outlet to the other end of the lake using the wind as assistance and encouraged us to check out the coves and shoreline in detail. Every now and again, feeling sorry for him, I'd paddle back out to say hi and then paddle back to Basilbop. Back and forth. Yah, cuz I felt like the poor pink one was a bit deflated from 58... back and forth I went. The blue bomber was definitely not light on the water. hehehehehehehe
  • On the Supai Matkat - Wow. Basilbop was breaking the water into a froth as he whipped around Kibbie. He's got upper body strength and a fast boat. My previous advantage of a fast boat is now gone.
  • On chairs - LOVE my chair! Apparently, Chick-on likes chairs, too, since he usurped 2halfhitches new chair!
  • On reduce, REUSE, recycle - Not only did we reuse the Christmas ornaments on 58, but Chick-on stealthily decorated Basilbop's pack on day 2 while we were going XC back up to the trail. I was impressed! What was even more impressive was how he managed to clean Basilbop's pack and Basilbop didn't know anything about it until the Gangs of Yosemite thread! (Yah, I was definitely an accomplice on this one..)
  • On Mercur Ridge - OMG, gorgeous. Just plain gorgeous. Had a fabulous time walking along this ridge, with views into Cherry and out over the mountains. Just a fantastic walk!
  • On Cherry goodness - There is something about that rock and water combination that just does it for me. Everyone has their thing, and what feeds their soul, or at least, I hope they do... This works for me.
  • On an AMAZING attitude - 2halfhitches and I had spoken a bit on the Eleanor trip a couple months back, but it wasn't until this trip that I got to know more about him. He impressed me tremendously with his attitude about many things in life, but most of all with his attitude under adverse physical conditions. He had admittedly been out of backpacking for a while and was wanting to get back to it. His shoes, though grippy (thank goodness - you NEED grippy in Cherry), were probably a tad too short for the incredibly steep bits we did. He was in pain, but his attitude never suffered. He stayed cheery and was always game. We worried about him, but truly appreciated how well he handled himself over very difficult terrain. You might think Cherry is "a walk in the park" from the way we describe it, but it literally and figuratively is NOT. Kudos to 2halfhitches. Attitude like that makes all the difference between a craptastic trip and a great trip. And this trip was great! Thank you again! Bowing to his greatness

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 05:18AM by JustKeepWalking.
April 24, 2015 07:57PM
Ah, so I guess I missed some swearing and screaming by one day as well as the flotilla... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

There is a campfire ban around Kibbie Lake. But as we walked the shore to the outlet, we found a very large, very fresh built-up campfire in a prime location. With a couple of full-size coffee filters with grounds in it. It all smelled and looked fresh. We were incensed.

Not sure whether I walked around it or whether you did a good job of cleanup, but I didn't notice anything seriously amiss like this. I did notice multiple blackened-rock spots in this campfire ban area. Especially absurd given that I'm pretty sure its possible to be 1/4 mile from the lake and still have a nice view of the lake, those rocks ramp upward quite some distance.
April 24, 2015 08:06PM
No screaming. Lots of swearing, and we tried hard. Rocks and collected wood went deep into bushes. Sigh. It took a bit of effort. Glad to hear you didn't think it was obvious...

And yah, lots of good stuff up higher. Oh I'm thinking words again....
April 25, 2015 08:24AM
10 years ago I ventured into Cherry Canyon starting and ending from the Bourland TH. We camped at "Flintstone". Although it was kind of neat, it had no place in the Wilderness. I even complained to the FS.

From my desk I follow all of your trips and enjoy reading your TR's. Totally amazed at how may trips you guys gets in. I'm lucky to get 1 BP trip in a year. Your love of the backcountry is very evident. I am curious why you think it is fortunate the "little stone aged furniture has reappeared. Especially after your angst regarding the fire rings around Kibbe.
April 25, 2015 12:33PM
basilbop
The forest service restored the area several years ago, and fortunately little stone-age furniture has re-appeared. From here we could see the final few "teacups" at the bottom of Cherry Bomb Gorge, spilling into a large pool.

cmon4day
I am curious why you think it is fortunate the "little stone aged furniture has reappeared. Especially after your angst regarding the fire rings around Kibbe.

I think you misunderstood me--I was just saying that it is fortunate that so little of the old furniture has re-appeared, not that it's fortunate that any little (small) furniture is there. I agree completely that it has no place in the backcountry, especially a place so spectacular and pristine as Cherry Creek Canyon. When we were there last week, I remember seeing only a solitary "chair"--less "furniture" than even a few years ago, and certainly less than in the past.
April 26, 2015 09:35AM
basilbop
basilbop
The forest service restored the area several years ago, and fortunately little stone-age furniture has re-appeared. From here we could see the final few "teacups" at the bottom of Cherry Bomb Gorge, spilling into a large pool.

cmon4day
I am curious why you think it is fortunate the "little stone aged furniture has reappeared. Especially after your angst regarding the fire rings around Kibbe.

I think you misunderstood me--I was just saying that it is fortunate that so little of the old furniture has re-appeared, not that it's fortunate that any little (small) furniture is there. I agree completely that it has no place in the backcountry, especially a place so spectacular and pristine as Cherry Creek Canyon. When we were there last week, I remember seeing only a solitary "chair"--less "furniture" than even a few years ago, and certainly less than in the past.

Got it. I had a feeling that was what you meant. On that same trip, there was a campsite up at Hyatt that had similar "furniture" . I hope that was restored as well.
May 16, 2015 08:52PM
The last time I was at Hyatt the stone chairs were still there, but it has got to be 5+ years since I have been there.
April 26, 2015 06:53PM
cmon4day
From my desk I follow all of your trips and enjoy reading your TR's. Totally amazed at how may trips you guys gets in. I'm lucky to get 1 BP trip in a year. Your love of the backcountry is very evident.

It is our passion. We let go of other pursuits that did not fulfill us the way walking through this amazing wilderness does. It's not luck for us, but lots of planning and arranging and, dare I say it...scheming...that allows us to return as often as we can make it happen. I call it "my thing". I wish everyone can find their "thing" - that "thing" that feeds their body and soul.
April 27, 2015 09:57AM
JustKeepWalking
cmon4day
From my desk I follow all of your trips and enjoy reading your TR's. Totally amazed at how may trips you guys gets in. I'm lucky to get 1 BP trip in a year. Your love of the backcountry is very evident.

It is our passion. We let go of other pursuits that did not fulfill us the way walking through this amazing wilderness does. It's not luck for us, but lots of planning and arranging and, dare I say it...scheming...that allows us to return as often as we can make it happen. I call it "my thing". I wish everyone can find their "thing" - that "thing" that feeds their body and soul.

Some call it a passion.

Others call it an obsession.

And others are just plain nuts.

What kind of nut are you?

April 24, 2015 08:59PM
basilbop
Once again, we found ourselves heading towards Kibbie Lake--this time with the benefit of no snow and, it being the first weekend after April 15, an open Shingle Springs road. For one member of our party, this would be his first trip to Kibbie Lake and our other destinations. The previous snowbound trip--probably the last time there was persistent snow at this elevation--had been great, with one small exception: despite an extensive search, Yosemite Boundary Marker 58 had not been found, mostly due to deep snow in its purported location. Oh, and we were kind of looking in the wrong place.

So, anyway, after a nice stroll up the Kibbie and Styx Pass trail, then along Kibbie Ridge, we descended to the location that the survey notes Bearproof had uncovered indicated it should be. As we got closer, the pink bird was excited to be the first to see it, right where we thought it should be. It was, in fact, very well marked.

"That is the sound of ultimate suffering... The man in pink makes it now."
"Inconceivable!"

April 27, 2015 09:57AM
Thanks. Like they need more ammo.

April 29, 2015 06:58PM
chick-on
Thanks. Like they need more ammo.

April 29, 2015 10:40AM
Thanks Basilbop for taking the time creating a trip report like this as I understand the effort required. Quite enjoyed the read and images. Much better than the more usual few words and lots of unexplained images. Kibbie Lake has been one of my favorites for decades. There are few natural lakes in the Sierra at those altitudes with Kibbie along with neighbor Vernon most special. Have had a few day trip in early season planned for the areas below Mercur Peak a few years now but the drought has delayed that. Especially like the big open granitoid canyon area before the creek makes the dogleg south.

David

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Spring_2015/spring_2015-1.html

http://www.davidsenesac.com
April 30, 2015 07:04AM
DavidSenesac
Have had a few day trip in early season planned for the areas below Mercur Peak a few years now but the drought has delayed that. Especially like the big open granitoid canyon area before the creek makes the dogleg south.

Sections of Cherry Creek can be a bit tricky to navigate in high water, so conditions like those at present are more ideal for exploring. The one "gotcha' if you are looking to do nature/landscape photography--there may be kayakers running the creek, although usually they'll pass by within minutes, and the kayaking season is quite short. Also, some of the gorges that the Schiffrin route bypasses (the few miles upstream from Flintstone) can be explored only in low water, and the "chockstone crack" can be bypassed (by crossing/recrossing the creek) similarly only in low water.

Anywho, look for pictures of this section of Cherry next week :-)
April 30, 2015 01:22PM
Thanks Basilbop. My prime interest in the canyon is not down in the middle sections of that canyon but rather the two miles below Lord Meadow where the broad glacial granite canyon opens up towards the east. It is there from the west end that a unique image may be possible better than any other place I know in the range given certain weather and atmospheric conditions. And I want to do the shot during an early summer after a big winter when water is high, boiling over its bedrock slabs.

I bought Schiffren's Emigrant book when it first came out, noted his superlatives of the lower Cherry Canyon then looked at its topo maps at length, long before kayakers discovered it. Decades ago as a twenty-something, I'd looked down on that zone from the west brink at Boundary Lake then went off to do Nance Peak. Maybe 4 years ago(?) we went down into the West Fork from the Hells Mountain road end via Bear Meadow and found that pretty interesting too. Even caught several rainbows into its many pools.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/Spring_2015/spring_2015-1.html

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 01:24PM by DavidSenesac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login