Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: 3-4 night route midweek early June?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

3-4 night route midweek early June?
May 12, 2015 05:27PM
Hi,
My husband and I are looking for a great route for midweek in early June. We'll be covering around 7-10 mi./day, I expect. It's been kind of hard to find routes for some reason. Do we need to buy maps right now? We'd like to see Half Dome and El Capitan, if we can, but we don't need to climb them. We're coming in from the east. Looking for any recommendations that you might have. Thanks for anything you send my way!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 05:50PM by terrafirma60.
avatar Re: 3-4 night route midweek early June?
May 12, 2015 07:57PM
Saw your post before you edited it... have your kids ever been to Yosemite?
Have you ever been?
Are you AVID backpackers? Is that your passion?

Coming from east... thru Tuolumne Meadows... obviously you have to do SOMETHING there...
but you NEED to see Yosemite Valley. And see it from Glacier Pt.

You only want to backpack?

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 13, 2015 04:18AM
Yes, we love hiking, camping, and get to it every summer, with winter hikes in the Green Mountains (lovin' those micro spikes). The kids have done rock climbing there, but they have spent most of their time in the mountains around Truckee and Salt lake City where they have lived as they're competitive runners and skiers.

We'll have a car, and we thought we.d be on the trail camping 3-4 nights, with 4 days in the park- in Mon. Afternoon and out Friday AM.

From what you said, maybe a 2-3 night hike from Tuolomne Meadows and then to Glacier Point would be a good idea.

Thanks for helping a newbie!
May 13, 2015 06:27PM
The, TOT.
May 13, 2015 05:02AM
Don't forget the Mariposa grove of giant Sequoias. Not to be missed.
May 13, 2015 08:42AM
Thank you, The Other Tom!

Can anyone recommend the right maps for me to get right now for this? Thanks again.
May 13, 2015 09:07AM
I just noticed that the Mariposa Grove will be closed for two years beginning in June. We'll probably want to focus on hiking from Tuolomne Meadows and then do the 4 mile hike up to Glacier Pt. on the last (or first) day. I'm looking at piecing together a 2-3 night hike from Tuolomne Meadows that gets us up pretty high. Recommendations welcome. Thanks!
May 13, 2015 09:40AM
At least see the Tuolumne grove of Sequoias, near Crane flat (on your way from Tuolumne to the Valley)

Regarding getting up to altitude from Tuolumne, I would go up rafferty creek trail to the Vogelsang area, maybe over vogelsang pass and down toward Gallison lake. Plenty to do in that area. Return via the Ireland creek trail.
Maps ? I swear by Tom Harrison maps. Google it for their website.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 09:41AM by The Other Tom.
May 14, 2015 11:38AM
Mariposa Grove should still be open in June '15. The closure begins "no earlier than July 6, 2015". See http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/mariposagrove.htm for more info.
May 14, 2015 01:08PM
If u have to backpack, Chick-on's plan is a great plan. Great highlights of the park!

I almost always think first-timers should drive about Tioga Road, see Glacier Point and check out all the great viewpoints in between and soak up the Valley.

I hit wrong reply link. This is regarding Chick-on's 5-day plan below.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 01:11PM by JustKeepWalking.
May 14, 2015 07:37AM
I'd try to do 2 trips and then dayhike 4 Mile trail up to GP down Mist/JMT or vice-versa on other day.

Day 1 - Glen Aulin w/ waterwheels
Day 2 - out ... then back in Lyell Canyon (all flat ... ish... def. doable)
Day 3 - back down Lyell... up to Ireland... over to Vogelsang
Day 4 - dayhike Vog pass... back down Rafferty ... out
Day 5 - valley dayhike... or just drive to GP and hike up Sentinel Dome

oops... maybe too many days.... but ... why u in a hurry?

smiling smiley

May 14, 2015 02:03PM
chick-on
I'd try to do 2 trips and then dayhike 4 Mile trail up to GP down Mist/JMT or vice-versa on other day.

Day 1 - Glen Aulin w/ waterwheels
Day 2 - out ... then back in Lyell Canyon (all flat ... ish... def. doable)
Day 3 - back down Lyell... up to Ireland... over to Vogelsang
Day 4 - dayhike Vog pass... back down Rafferty ... out
Day 5 - valley dayhike... or just drive to GP and hike up Sentinel Dome

oops... maybe too many days.... but ... why u in a hurry?

smiling smiley
Not sure about water flow in June for Glen Aulin/waterwheels....but Chick-On knows better than me smiling smiley
Anyway, it's all good in the Sierra
(pssst...Chick-On knows my fav would be days 2-4).
Agree with not being in a hurry....you're coming all that way so stay an extra day to two.
By the way, living on the east coast and hiking in the Appalachains is one thing....seeing the Sierra is another....you'll be hooked like I was many years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 02:07PM by The Other Tom.
May 14, 2015 03:10PM
Eye no nuttin

smiling smiley

We just got an influx of the fluffy white stuff.. so ... EARLY June... I would not
hesitate one bit to go check out the waterfalls. They will be VERY nice.
The waterfalls are half full... not half empty!

If you look at the Cherry Creek posts... you will so how much the water went up
with a storm... so... go... I highly doubt you will be disappointed.

Heading da udder direction ... into Tom's Territory.. v. soon... but.. it all good baby

Have fun

May 15, 2015 11:46AM
Last night's storm didn't appear to deposit too much snow in the lower elevations of the high country like Glacier Point, Half Dome and Badger Pass judging by what I saw via the live webcams within Yosemite.

But the total precipitation levels (rain + snow) should have been more significant. Here in the Bay Area, my backyard weather station registered 1/2 of inch of rain in just a four-hour time span. That's a lot of rain in the flatlands of the Bay Area for such a short amount of time.
May 15, 2015 06:31PM
It was spotty in the Bay Area. Here's a map from NWS SF Bay/Monterey, some areas got almost nothing, others got a decent rain. Very showery stuff.
May 15, 2015 07:14PM
Looks like Grant Grove in SEKI got about 2" of snow, so maybe the storm had greater impact further south:
https://www.facebook.com/NWSHanford/photos/pb.122019257873560.-2207520000.1431742139./855297274545751/?type=3&theater

Photo of the Giant Forest in SEKI:
May 17, 2015 09:42AM
Hi again,

Question: Is it possible to get from Tenaya Lakes to Sunrise and then to Couds Rest and down to Little Yosemite Valley in early June? We're starting on Monday, June 8th. With the low snowfall this year, will this hike work out?

Can we camp wherever we need to or are there illegal places? I just read about a group who pitched tents right on the spine of Cloud's Rest!

Also, what should we predict for black flies or mosquitoes along this route the week of June 8th?

Thanks, all.

Myra
May 18, 2015 11:43AM
Myra wrote:
Is it possible to get from Tenaya Lakes to Sunrise and then to Couds Rest and down to Little Yosemite Valley in early June? We're starting on Monday, June 8th.

Hard to say for sure. The snow depth sensors at altitudes are not showing much so it seems likey to be OK. But there may be storms coming that could change things in a hurry. You'll want to check the forecasts before setting out.

Can we camp wherever we need to or are there illegal places?

Be sure to read the FAQ 1. Where can I camp? at http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm . Also be sure to read http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildregs.htm . You cannot camp at will near LYV, you have to camp in the establshed camp ground. From Sunrise, you need to be at least 4 mi into the wilderness to camp. There is no water available near Cloud's Rest, to camp near there you'll need to carry enough water for an overnight stay.

what should we predict for black flies or mosquitoes along this route the week of June 8th?

Expect at least some mosquitoes.
May 15, 2015 03:39PM
Okay! Waterfalls, here we come!
May 15, 2015 03:38PM
Yeah, we are hooked. The kids have been out there for 10 years, so we.'re getting around. Trip is cut short so we can see the "grandies," so we might take you and Cick-on up on an abbreviated adventure including 4 nights out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login