Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne to YV

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne to YV
May 15, 2015 03:10PM
Hi,

I have a permit out of Lyell Canyon in July this summer and am planning a 6 day trip to reach YV. I'm thinking of something like Lyell Canyon -> Vogelsang HSC -> Lake Bernice -> Merced HSC -> Sunrise HSC -> (over Clouds Rest) LYV.

That's roughly my outline but I'd prefer to not stay in the HSC areas and see less crowds. We would like to do some peak bagging along the way. Any suggestions on alternative places to stop on a route like this and easy peaks to bag would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2015 03:18PM by wanderingboy.
May 15, 2015 10:21PM
I'd try to skip the whole Vogelsang area. Haven't tried this, but looking at the map, and from what I've seen from the trail, it looks easy to cross the Cathedral Range between Parsons and Simmons Peaks, or through Hell Hole. Or at least by going over Parsons towards Vogelsang Pass. With that, it looks like you could also traverse Vogelsang Peak down to Fletcher Creek.

There's a campsite at the west end of Merced Lake. But the H.S.C. has a decent all-you-can-eat breakfast...to which you could probably find a site in the woods on the river east of the H.S.C.

Send photos.
May 17, 2015 07:01PM
There's no camping signs all around Merced Lake... both the east side and the west side...
???
So, confoozed about the nice camping on west side of Merced Lake.
???

w/r to Hell Hole and such... recommend looking at these posts:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,55490,55490#msg-55490

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,75665,75665#msg-75665

Amelia Earhart is pretty simple...
as is
Parsons
Donahue
Vogelsang
Mammoth
Potter Point
Florence

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,75137,75137#msg-75137

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 17, 2015 07:13PM
chick-on
There's no camping signs all around Merced Lake... both the east side and the west side...
???

Huh. Well, it wasn't me. I saw someone camping right about here a few years ago. And I didn't see any signs as I walked out to the river.
May 17, 2015 08:38PM
Sierra Miguel
chick-on
???

Huh. Well, it wasn't me. I saw someone camping right about here a few years ago. And I didn't see any signs as I walked out to the river.

Ok. Well, there has been multiple signs in that area over the years, the metal variety and the white
on brown variety. Pretty much that entire area there is off limits to camping. From what I know and have seen.
I was thinking maybe there was a loophole somewhere... but I don't really think so...
maybe when it is all covered in snow it is ok ... ???

As you walk up stream... you will first run into this sign:

then... you will see this sign

very very close to this... you walk out and get this view of Merced Lake:

the 2nd photo I took on February 14 of this year. I have other photos of other no camping signs in this area... but... you
get the idea... on the east shore... again they pretty much would like you to camp only in the high sierra camp
backpackers campground around all of Merced Lake. there are metal signs on the east side also.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 18, 2015 08:48AM
Thanks. There's plenty to choose from in that area. Any tips on what to choose that would be easy from a route-finding standpoint and class 1 or 2? I'm thinking we'll take a layover day at Lake Bernice and climb a nearby peak and maybe skip Merced altogether and hike on to Sunrise HSC.
May 18, 2015 11:53AM
Wanderingboy, see Chick-on's reply of May 17, 7 p.m.. There are Parsons, Simmons, Florence, etc. They all have write-ups on Summit Post. Vogelsang is not a hard walk-up from the pass.
May 17, 2015 11:02PM

you could probably find a site in the woods on the river east of the H.S.C.

Anyway, I was thinking here, near that mosquito pool, when I said "east".
May 16, 2015 05:23PM
"merced lake to tuolumne pass" thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2015 05:24PM by Sierra Miguel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login