Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Looking for trip suggestions - 4 days within 6/13-19

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Looking for trip suggestions - 4 days within 6/13-19
May 18, 2015 11:03PM
Been a while since I've posted, wowza. Been lurking off and on though.

I'm currently browsing the forum for ideas, but thought I'd post up to see if anyone had any recs. I'm looking for trip suggestions for 4 days / 3 nights somewhere, hopefully in the high country but open to other parts of the park, for my girlfriend and me. I'm trying to keep this trip a little more on the relaxed side, hoping for no more than 10-15 mi hike in on first day with nothing too crazy in gain, then basecamp for 3 nights near to some swimming (lake or creek), out on last day. I checked the trailheads report and it's looking pretty full in the more popular ones for that time frame, but figure I can pick dates better if I can narrow down to a few THs. I'm also considering just staying in GA and day hiking out to Waterwheels, Mattie Lake and Wildcat point, etc. since it looks like GA Passthrough is looking pretty full. Obviously the more solitude the better, but I realize that's hard with the basecamp requirement.

Is Pleasant Valley and Table Lakes from HH a pleasant hike? Don't want to come down and back up from White Wolf. But from HH, it looks like I'd need to split it into two days before reaching Pleasant Valley (not ideal for the basecamp requirement). Or what about leaving from Beehive Meadows or Miguel Meadows?

As you can see, I'm still in the very early planning stages. GF's preferences for this trip: no moving camp every day of the trip, sun, warmth, swimming, greenery preferred.

Any help in narrowing down is appreciated! And of course, pics alway welcome smiling smiley

Thanks!
avatar Re: Looking for trip suggestions - 4 days within 6/13-19
May 19, 2015 03:08PM
Wuz gonna say 10 Lakes... but I am pretty certain I recall giving you some stuff about that last year...
and pretty sure you went there...

Table Lake... well... yeah... Um... well... as much as I love...
um... do you want to marry your girlfriend?
It may be a nice test though... Grinning Devil

Do you realize that hiking up Rancheria Mtn is over 5000 ft. climb... whereas climbing from Pate to WW is a mere 3400 ft.
For whatever reason people cringe at that up. It's really not THAT bad.

Anywho. Yeah... well...
How about Vernon day 1... you can definitely do some dayhiking around Vernon for a couple of days...
or... hi honey.. yeah... well... we REALLY should move today to Tilden... I heard it is REALLY nice...
I mean it's only up this way a LITTLE bit... Grinning Devil

O hey... let's go out Tiltill Mtn... we have never been thru Tiltill Valley... let's just move a bit.. there's some
lakes along the way that we can check out... prolly some nice swimming there...

Ok, well... there are other backpacking people here.

Every time that I say we will basecamp... well... see above. Works every time.

Have fun planning tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 19, 2015 07:48PM
Thanks Chick-on, yes I did and yes she thoroughly enjoyed it smiling smiley That'll probably be our fallback. We also did GCT (again) and she liked that too but wanted something more relaxing for next time with some base-camping.

I realize Rancheria climb is more gain overall, but I'd rather do that than the steep descent from WW, then hike to Pate, then up to Pleasant Valley in one day...she'd kill me. The delta is probably much greater, and I always find big descents to hurt more than big ascents.

The Vernon-Tilden-Tiltill loop looks nice. I'll have to look up some pics and mileage. Is Vernon the lake you would pick if you were basecamping after one day hike-in, in the NW corner of the park?
May 20, 2015 06:44AM
Vernon you could spend a few days goofing around and your g/f would prolly be
very happy... a nice hike up into Jack Main and back...
a nice hike up to Branigans and back...
then maybe move and do the classic Vernon-Tiltill VALLEY-Rancheria Falls loopie..
(The TILDEN Lake / Tiltill MOUNTAIN .. loop... that was a move shop every day)

Anywho... will leave it at that... if no one else reponds I'll PM you with another
suggestion or two...

Have fun

May 20, 2015 07:21AM
Yeah, the Tilden to Tiltill would be if I could convince her to move shop every day again.

Alright, sounds good, I'll keep Vernon in mind, thanks Chick-on, good stuff as usual Chick-on avec les piedsthumbs up
May 20, 2015 10:19AM
Other idea would be Boundary Lake ... Kibbie Ridge has no quota... so you don't need to worry
about permits. Lots and lots to explore from there...
Gorgeous area. Lots of lakes. Lots of granite. Kibbie Ridge itself for a lot of it is woods...
but once near Styx... it's classic Yosemite...

May 20, 2015 04:47PM
If you haven't done the Vernon Loop, I highly recommend. Classic. I like going up to Vernon first and looping back along the reservoir and under Wapama and the other falls on the way back myself. I think I like finishing with a lot of water views...
May 20, 2015 08:51AM
You might consider starting at the Virginia Lakes Resort and getting into the northeast corner of the park from there. It's a longer drive, with access off of 395 south of Bridgeport basically at Conway Summit. It's high, beautiful country, an easy first day, and loads of day trips from there.
May 20, 2015 10:17AM
Green Lakes is really nice too...

Twin Lakes leads to Peeler. Not sure about that one. You go swimming in there and you
may end up east or west. At least that is what I was told. Pretty sure someone just
pulling my leg tho. Seems to be happening a lot lately. Probably some boundary markers
around there to be found too. Got water bottle?

May 20, 2015 04:45PM
chick-on
Pretty sure someone just pulling my leg tho. Seems to be happening a lot lately.

Really?

chick-on
Probably some boundary markers
around there to be found too. Got water bottle?

Maybe....
May 20, 2015 06:15PM
Awesome, thanks guys! Lots to chew on. I'll give all the places a look and report back if we end up at any of them. Right now, I'm leaning towards Vernon since it seems to be a classic and I haven't done much in the NW corner.

The other front-runner is down in SEKI, a buddy of mine suggested East Lake. 13 miles in with almost 4.5k' gain, so probably a bigger day than the GF would want, but I hear it's worth it. Forester Lake too.

If we end up at Vernon or somewhere else in Yosemite, you can be sure I'll post pics again smiling smiley I'm really trying to work out some solo trips or trips with a hiking buddy in Yosemite as well, so if I don't make it on this trip, this is all good research for next trips smiling smiley thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 06:19PM by HikingMano.
May 20, 2015 06:44PM
If you include all of the Sierra... yowza

There's just too many to name really. East is nice. Reflection nicer imo... and area towards Harrison... was
magical when I was there...
Granite Park, Granite Basin, Palisade Basin, Dusy Basin, Upper Basin...
Just far too many to name.

Honestly... you can't really go wrong ... unless you have a bad attitude.

Have fun planning n looking at maps

May 20, 2015 06:56PM
Yeah, i know, I was going to keep it to Yosemite, but the GF is thinking somewhere else would be nice.

Oh, we'd definitely be going to Reflection, we'd just camp at East, probably outlet end, and then hike around. Maybe do Mt. Brewer if we can get up and down quick enough.

I know, so many places grinning smiley
May 21, 2015 07:13AM
A few of my East Lake pix. It was REALLY nice when I walked by...

Fording the creeks to get there.... would be a big issue in normal year... and it may be still this early...
Just a heads up...

May 21, 2015 07:23AM
Woooow!! Love it. Yeah, my buddy said he wouldn't dream of fording Bubbs following a normal snow pack, but this year may be doable. I'll call Wilderness Office and ask. If it's a green light, I think East may be it for this trip...
May 21, 2015 05:19PM
HikingMano
my buddy said he wouldn't dream of fording Bubbs following a normal snow pack

This Bubbs?

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/seki/cm-dsc_1282.jpg.html
May 21, 2015 09:26PM
Shrug, guess so, I've never been. 2011 was a pretty good year and it looks fast enough. Is that at Junction Meadow?
May 22, 2015 12:26AM
HikingMano
Is that at Junction Meadow?

No, it's closer to Road's End.
May 22, 2015 08:57PM
Gotcha. Thanks for the pic.
May 23, 2015 12:10AM
Hmmm, being up at East/Reflection in June might prove to be a little too chilly for the GF. I'm guessing Vernon and environs will be better suited for swimming and basking in June, being at only 6.5k'. The CW loop JKW mentioned sounds mighty appealing; I like water views too smiling smiley

Sound about right? If so, looks like Vernon it is smiling smiley
May 23, 2015 06:06PM
I crossed Bubbs Creek at Junction Meadow in August of 2011. Even that late in the year it was really a challenge. But then 2011 was like that.
May 23, 2015 08:44PM
Yeah, I don't doubt my buddy, he's really knowledgeable about SEKI and has decades of backcountry knowledge over me... The last time I spoke with someone they said Rangers were heading out to check out conditions and haven't reported back yet. Will have to call again to see. Considering there's nearly no snow though... my guess is it'll be fine. Apparently there's a good chance it'll be warmer up there than I anticipated, so may give East a go for this trip, come back to Yosemite for next outing.

Thanks for all the help folks. Wherever we end up, I'll come back with a mini TR and pics.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login