All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

High country conditions for dayhike this Sunday, 5/31
May 27, 2015 04:27PM
I'll be near the park for an event this Saturday night and am looking for a great dayhike (up to 6 miles is my current max as I recover from ankle surgery) to do Sunday before driving back to the Bay Area.

I'd love to head up Tioga Road and see the high country while it's still all nice and snow-dappled, but I'm wondering if anyone can chime in on current trail conditions given the wet pattern over the past few weeks.

I've had my eye on May Lake & Mt. Hoffman, but am worried that there might still be too much snow up high.

If that's not an option, any other recommendations for something off of 120 that will be both spectacular and navigable this weekend? I've done Lembert Dome & Gaylor Lakes multiple times and am always happy to repeat them, but would rather see something new.

Thanks!

Edited to add: Also, are the mosquitos out in force yet? Wondering if I should bring the permethrin armor & headnet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2015 04:29PM by oso101.
avatar Re: High country conditions for dayhike this Sunday, 5/31
May 27, 2015 04:48PM
There should be no snow up to the top of Hoffman as it is a south facing trail. Drive up 120 and you should be able to see the top of Hoffman from the road.
Be prepared for mosquitos but don't be surprised if they aren't too bad.
The trail conditions listed on the Yosemite NPS site is from a May 15 update.
oso101
I'll be near the park for an event this Saturday night and am looking for a great dayhike (up to 6 miles is my current max as I recover from ankle surgery) to do Sunday before driving back to the Bay Area.

I'd love to head up Tioga Road and see the high country while it's still all nice and snow-dappled, but I'm wondering if anyone can chime in on current trail conditions given the wet pattern over the past few weeks.

I've had my eye on May Lake & Mt. Hoffman, but am worried that there might still be too much snow up high.

If that's not an option, any other recommendations for something off of 120 that will be both spectacular and navigable this weekend? I've done Lembert Dome & Gaylor Lakes multiple times and am always happy to repeat them, but would rather see something new.

Thanks!

Edited to add: Also, are the mosquitos out in force yet? Wondering if I should bring the permethrin armor & headnet.

Old Dude
Re: High country conditions for dayhike this Sunday, 5/31
May 28, 2015 12:48PM
Well that's some good news - that is, good for our hiking plans, if not the Sierra snowpack and the long-term viability of human inhabitation of California...

Thanks for the intel!
June 02, 2015 10:43AM
Sunday 5/31 was a perfect day to hike Mt. Hoffman - one of the most spectacular, bang-for-the-buck dayhikes I've done anywhere, ever.

Here's a tease, with more to come:

avatar Re: High country conditions for dayhike this Sunday, 5/31
June 07, 2015 12:13PM
Is the road open to the May Lake parking are?
June 07, 2015 12:16PM
Yup, the road to May Lake trailhead was open when we were there last weekend.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login