All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hiking at higher altitude with heart issue
June 09, 2015 02:44AM
I am looking to see if any of you have a similar issue to mine.

I recently(May 22) had an angioplasty, due to a 70% blockage, in which I had a stent inserted. In researching about exertion at high altitude with a stent, the info shows that it can be OK, just use caution. My doctor said that after 2 months, I should be OK.
I am (and was prior to surgery) in pretty good shape, able to go on decent hikes in LA basin (San Gabriels, Santa Monica Mtns, etc). As I ease back into mid-length hikes, I am feeling OK. I went on a flat 5 mile hike with a 15 pound pack this past Saturday; no problems. Of course we don't have the altitude down here, so I can't see how I am affected by that.
I have plans to camp in Tuolumne Meadows CG July 26-30. My boys and I go there every two years, at least, and go on at least one longer hike (Glen Aulin, etc) and a few shorter hikes (Lembert Dome, Gaylor Lakes, etc).

Just want to see if anyone (or folks you know) have similar condition, and how it feels at altitude.
avatar Re: Hiking at higher altitude with heart issue
June 09, 2015 10:06AM
snorkus
I am looking to see if any of you have a similar issue to mine.

I recently(May 22) had an angioplasty, due to a 70% blockage, in which I had a stent inserted. In researching about exertion at high altitude with a stent, the info shows that it can be OK, just use caution. My doctor said that after 2 months, I should be OK.

I am (and was prior to surgery) in pretty good shape, able to go on decent hikes in LA basin (San Gabriels, Santa Monica Mtns, etc). As I ease back into mid-length hikes, I am feeling OK. I went on a flat 5 mile hike with a 15 pound pack this past Saturday; no problems. Of course we don't have the altitude down here, so I can't see how I am affected by that.

Huh?

For an altitude test, try hiking up to the top of Mt. Baldy (El. 10,064') or take the tram up the side of San Jacinto Peak and hike the remaining distance to its summit (El. 10,834'), an elevation gain of about 2,300' from the tram station that's located around 8,500' mark. Note that tram station (at around 8,500') is only about hundred feet lower in elevation than Tuolumne Meadows.

snorkus
I have plans to camp in Tuolumne Meadows CG July 26-30. My boys and I go there every two years, at least, and go on at least one longer hike (Glen Aulin, etc) and a few shorter hikes (Lembert Dome, Gaylor Lakes, etc).

Just want to see if anyone (or folks you know) have similar condition, and how it feels at altitude.

I would be very careful about overexerting yourself, especially if you are now taking a beta blocker for your heart condition. (Beta blockers lessens one's ability to deal with high-levels of physical exertion.) Overall, take it easy and follow all the advice from your cardiologist and a have great time enjoying Yosemite this summer with your boys.

Re: Hiking at higher altitude with heart issue
June 09, 2015 11:22PM
Thanks. I know there are other hikes to do. Just kind of easing back into it now.
June 10, 2015 08:06PM
My husband has a number of stents. I have to admit, he'll day hike with me at altitude, but multiday hike where it's a long way to help,
he just does not chose to do those anymore.
In all fairness I was always the one who liked the multi-day immersions. He's morphed into more of a support role.

He did ride a touring bicycle from the Canadian border to our house in the Bay Area the year after his first stent.

A good rule of thumb for us is if it gives him chest pain, back off. That's just what's worked for us.
June 12, 2015 03:37AM
If I may ask, what is the probable cause of the chest pain? Is it the exertion, high altitude, or a mix of both together?
Ischaaf
good rule of thumb for us is if it gives him chest pain, back off
Can he do a day hike, under similar conditions(pack weight, elevation gain), at a lower altitude without chest pain?

I am just trying to calibrate my expectations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2015 05:25AM by snorkus.
June 14, 2015 01:05PM
going from sea level to Tuolumne will cause you're resting heart rate to go up quite a bit--initially. And of course your moving heart rate as well. I've had issues with afib and so started monitoring my heart rate pretty carefully over the last four years or so. I find that after about 6-8 hours my heart rate starts to come down. After a day or so at elevation it comes down enough that I can stop obsessing. I know that it takes much longer than this to fully acclimate, but this has been my experience. I found that hiking into Glenn Aulin or out Lyell canyon immediately after arriving is a better choice than heading up to vogelsang, for example. Just wandering around the meadows for the afternoon is probably the best idea.
If your heart is healthy, this may all be a moot point. (My heart is fine; it's the electrical firing that can go wrong.) For me, the psychological aspect is the most difficult thing. Hard to lose yourself in nature while you're worried about your heart. That's why getting past the initial bit of elevated heart rate is such a relief.
June 15, 2015 04:45AM
When we go up there, we try not to do too much of a hike for the first 24 hours. We do a hike through the meadows, Lembert Dome, etc. (We usually go for a four nights stay.) We will save any longer hike for a couple of days into our stay. We've done, in various years, dayhikes to Glen Aulin, Gaylor Lakes, etc. I am just anxious/apprehensive about getting up there and not being able to do much.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login