Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Memorial Day Weekend

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Memorial Day Weekend
June 11, 2015 06:19PM
Memorial Day weekend can be an early introduction to summer... or a reminder of lingering winter...

Once again I found myself walking alone along a rarely used path through a forest cloaked by clouds.

Eventually I dropped beneath the clouds. at least for the moment.

Curiously, the pinkish granite all around was actually very white on the inside...

..as were the nearby aspens, on the outside.

It had rained earlier, it was raining elsewhere, but I was fortunate to be avoiding most of the rain.

Looking back, it wasn't clear how I had avoided getting wet.

Eventually I approached camp where the others were waiting for me... and the rain began. They had had their own adventure, which we would soon discuss in our warm, dry tent over hot food and drink.

The next morning was more of the same: cool, grey, wet.

We pressed on into the clouds.

The recent and current rains were causing the creek to swell.

We would have to cross the creek somewhere, sometime...

We had to work around a few obstacles, but we slowly headed up canyon....

...where we were greeted with more water, more cascades.

We didn't really have a firm destination in mind; we went where the water and rock allowed us to.

We climbed higher, then lulled into a brief lapse in the rain, we stopped for lunch.

Unfortunately the cool dampness had chilled us too much; we needed to set up camp to dry out and warm up.

After a well-deserved nap, blue skies finally opened above us, and the bright sun even briefly warmed us.

This provided a brief window of time for some local exploration.

We climbed high above camp, taking in the vast expanses of granite below us.

As we approached the top, at times it seemed like the rains were over....

...but the dark clouds were stubborn to leave us for good.

Far below, we could see our tiny camp.

We pressed our luck with a bit more exploring, but the blue sky was quickly disappearing.

We made it back to camp just as one more round of rain and hail fell on us. But it, too, lifted as the last light of day left us.

By sunset we were once more warm, dry, and well-fed. We really had nothing to complain about.

The next day clear skies greeted us, and after a leisurely breakfast and packing, we continued upstream.

Quite suddenly, we left the open granite and cascades for a flat, forested valley, where the now slow, meandering creek allowed for easy crossing.

After crossing we had to head up out of the valley.

After a brief climb we could see more granite to our east...

...granite that of course needed to be explored.

We passed by some areas that looked like they would be wonderful to camp at... but we had to press on.

We were tempted to inflate the fleet, but the skies were darkening quickly... perhaps another weekend.

We traversed mostly level-ish, climbing into, out of, and around numerous small gullies and ravines.

The threat of rain loomed over us, but our gear kept us dry--and very hot.

Soon our views changed from slightly less familiar to slightly more familiar.

We had to descend to the creek and find some place to cross.

Our boats--well, one boat--and some spare cord provided for safe passage across the creek.

Take goose, return, untangle cord, take fox, return with goose, take beans, untangle cord again...

We considered spending one more day in the backcountry, but we were close to the trailhead.

We returned to our cars having avoided all rain.

More Pictures

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2015 07:57PM by basilbop.
June 11, 2015 08:36PM
Wow looks like you guys had a blast! Great photos! Which trail is this?
I spent my memorial day weekend at Rae Lakes. Getting snowed on was fun!

-Kevin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2015 08:39PM by KevinD.
June 11, 2015 08:52PM
Hope to see a trip report... Love that area. Which way did you go? How many days, how was it?? Dish!
June 11, 2015 08:49PM
This was a glorious trip. The pictures will give you a taste of how lovely.. But I'm not going to talk about that. I'm going to talk about an incident that happened.

Chick-on and I took off early, so he could show me bits of the river canyon that I didn't get to see on a previous trip. Basilbop couldn't leave early enough to join, but had been with Chick-on to see the canyon. He planned on coming in later and bombing directly to an agreed-upon campsite location.

When Chick-on and I took off from the trailhead, it was raining. We got rained on most of the way. Sometimes, it would lighten up, dry up. But the rock was almost always damp, if not wet. Slipping was happening, and I was trying to be careful.

But, close to the campsite, I took a bad step down onto a slanted slab of rock and fell forward. My hands caught me in a plank-like pose, but my backpack slid up off my hips and over to the side and caught my right upper arm and pushed it out of its socket. I screamed as I felt my arm dislocating. And I fell flat on my belly. First thought was that I'd probably dislocated my arm and that might mean the end of the trip, probably subsequent trips as well. Chick-on called down and asked if I was okay and I said I thought I dislocated my shoulder. He said it probably wasn't that bad, something like that. He didn't believe it. (He told me this afterwards.) I felt with my left hand and could feel the head of my humerus below my clavicle. Sticking out. I could feel the gap where it should have been in the "socket". I had gone clinical and was intrigued with how it felt. But I was also quickly assessing the situation and remembered I had limited time to reduce it easily, if it could be done easily.

So, with Chick-on's help, we got my backpack off, but I dropped one of my hiking poles into a crack during that process. After getting help backing down the rock and sitting up on the edge of the little gully, Chick-on retrieved my errant pole; luckily it had gotten stuck within reach, otherwise it would have been lost deep in the crack. Just the motion to do all that made me realize that without reducing the dislocation, I would be unable to hike the direct 4 miles back to the trailhead to be driven to the hospital. The pain was amazing. No way would I manage wearing a pack. I didn't want to have to call for an extraction. I knew we had to reduce, and quickly.

I was desperately trying to remember how to reduce, was almost getting worried about not remembering and it then it came to me, but I wanted to double check. But I'd been having trouble with my iPhone and I had not reinstalled all my Kindle books after my last rebuild. So my Wilderness First Responder bible wasn't available! Ugh. So I went with what I remembered and told Chick-on what to do. He had to slowly move my arm into the position that looks like a STOP arm signal if riding a bike. Which he did without questioning me. Slow and steady. He told me later he didn't like how my arm felt like a limp noodle. I had to hold my mouth shut with my working hand, and we heard and felt one small pop as the motion started reducing the dislocation. But though it felt a tad better, it wasn't enough, and I told him to keep going. And I REALLY had to hold my mouth and nose shut, and I probably squeaked some, but he did as I needed, and with a bigger popping sound, all of a sudden the pain disappeared. The insane pain was gone. I checked my circulation, sensation and motion (CSMs) in my fingers and arm, and pressed around my shoulder to see if anything was super tender - tears/breaks. Nothing. A pinched nerve was my biggest fear at that stage, and I was relieved I did not feel any nerve issues.

I tried testing my range of motion, and quickly found that certain motions felt like it would dislocate my shoulder again, so I stayed away from those moves. I was surprised with how many positions I could get into with no pain. I was more functional than I'd hoped. I knew then, at worst, I could self-evacuate. But I really didn't want to go home on Friday night of Memorial Day weekend. I knew there was little anyone other than a PT could do for me, and that would take time to set up after returning to the front country, anyway.

I was sore, yes, but nothing like what I'd been going through. Okay. Whew. I tried to remember and was pretty sure immobilizing the arm with sling and swathe was a normal thing to do, but I had to get off the little dome we were climbing over. And I'd need my poles and stability to do so. So, after getting back on my feet, lowering myself more carefully onto the slanty rock and climbing up, I put on my backpack with Chick-on's help, tested my arm, and off we went down the other side. It was tricky in places, but it really wasn't bad, and I thought that very likely, if I could keep the pain from getting much worse, I'd be able to finish the trip. I decided to make the final decision the next day. First order of business was finding a campsite and get out of the rain. But I took Extra-Strength Tylenol as soon as I could, hoping it would be good enough. It's all I can take, so it would have to do.

Oddly, I was euphoric about the fact that we'd reduced my dislocation in the field. It was worth all the work I'd spent over the years studying to get and remain certified as a WFR. I don't use the certification for my work (I work in the computer industry), I just did it years ago because Basilbop and I did a lot of trips by ourselves into remote areas, and I felt at least one of us should have some skills to help ourselves. I was SOOO happy... I looked forward to telling one of my friends, who is an avid climber/backpacker and happens to be an ER doc what happened! Chick-on probably thought I was a raving lunatic. Strangely, I'm still thrilled that I kept it together, remembered what to do, could tell someone what needed to be done, and everything worked. Okay, I had a brain fade and had an accident. It's how you deal with the accident that makes a real difference, I think.

Anyway, as we were trying to find a puddle-free spot to set up, we were worrying about Basilbop, who had not yet hailed us on the radio, and we figured our window to first contact had already opened. We seriously thought about hiking BACK to make it easier on HIM. But in looking at what we'd have to do, and me thinking about my poor wing... and the fact he had chosen the general area for camping... and knowing how strong he is... I made an executive decision and called it. And just as we were starting to get the tent, he hailed us on the radio. And we discussed and it turned out he had been making good time, hadn't gotten rained on yet, and told us to set up shop. So, we did. I was thankful by then to crawl into the dry tent and try to warm up, as we'd been basically standing around discussing for half an hour, and I had been getting chilled - which was probably a good thing for my shoulder, but not my core.

Within an hour, I was warmed up, the Tylenol was working, Basilbop had shown up and we had a good dinner, hot drinks and I felt much better.

I found I could still move enough to change my own clothes, which I thought was a good sign, and I kept testing my shoulder. The initial instability was already much reduced and things seemed to progressively get more stable as time passed.

The next morning, I felt good enough, I chose to continue the trip, and though we had to be careful, we managed just fine and finished the entire loop we'd planned. What Basilbop and I did do, however, was haul out on the third day with Chick-on instead of spending Memorial Day itself lazing about the canyon. I felt it wasn't worth it just to stay out there, and things were a tad more difficult than otherwise with my "broken wing" as they called it at first.

The name has now morphed into "broken flipper" and the dome is now called "Broken Flipper Dome". I'm now called Flipper. I don't know when that will end. But oh well.

Huge thanks to Chick-on for all his help, and to Basilbop for all his support right after. Both of them helped me get through and enjoy a truly fabulous trip.

Front country tidbits:

We ran into my doctor friend at a restaurant we frequent in Oakdale on our way out. She was going in with a climbing buddy. So I got to tell her straight away about my adventures! Yay! She said in the hospital they usually need heavy narcotics before they can reduce the dislocation. I figure that's because it's been awhile by the time you see a doctor. From my training, you have about 10-15 minutes to reduce, or else you have a lot of muscle spasms to deal with that the reduction process takes a LOT longer. (Different technique.)

I saw my doc on Tuesday after Mem Day, he showed me another way to reduce. Both work. He was pleased that it went back in that easily, and that it seemed I hadn't torn anything. But he wanted an X-ray to be sure no hidden fractures. So, Xray. And PT to work on it. And so far, the PT says it seems very stable, no tissue tears, just need to keep strengthening it, and she feels I'll make a full recovery with no issues. It's my first full dislocation. I partially dislocated that shoulder over a decade ago... but it's been as solid as any of my joints are, since. (I'm hyper-mobile, so ongoing work keeping everything stabilized.)

I've got my book loaded onto my iPhone. I'll probably start reading it again. I get re-certified every two years... but I'm thinking I should stay a bit fresher. So glad I had the training, though! So very glad.

And I haven't missed a weekend yet. Just got back from four days this past weekend. More on that soon, I expect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2015 04:50AM by JustKeepWalking.
June 11, 2015 08:59PM
Jeez!

I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt. Also glad you still got to enjoy your trip!

-Kevin
June 11, 2015 09:02PM
Thanks! Yah, I was very glad we were able to continue the trip! It turned out to be so memorable in so many ways. Just glorious.
June 11, 2015 09:26PM
JustKeepWalking
Thanks! Yah, I was very glad we were able to continue the trip! It turned out to be so memorable in so many ways. Just glorious.

Glad you guys had fun! I hope to get out to yosemite more often (seki is my main area) and meet up with some of you nice folks!

Happy Hiking!
Kevin
June 11, 2015 09:39PM
Love SEKI!! Have had several enjoyable trips this year, already, but got "rained out" of several too!!! Booooo!!!

But hoping to get back soon enough!

You are lucky to have SEKI as your main area!!! Enjoy!!!
June 11, 2015 10:04PM
Great Story, notes, and adventure. You handled the whole thing admirably!

But wait----you have a restaurant in Oakdale you actually like???? Name and address, please!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2015 10:05PM by balzaccom.
June 11, 2015 11:40PM
balzaccom

But wait----you have a restaurant in Oakdale you actually like???? Name and address, please!

She stated it is a restaurant that they "frequent" which doesn't necessarily mean that they like it.

That said, one restaurant that I personally like a lot in Oakdale is Phat Hogs BBQ & Grill tucked away deep in that shopping center on the southside of East F Street (Hwy 120) at the corner of South Maag Ave. (where the Carls Jr. is located at the corner).

http://www.phathogsbbq.com/

August 03, 2015 01:36PM
plawrence
one restaurant that I personally like a lot in Oakdale is Phat Hogs BBQ & Grill tucked away deep in that shopping center on the southside of East F Street (Hwy 120).

Bad news - it has closed down, because they could not renew the lease. sad smiley
August 03, 2015 02:31PM
Royalist
plawrence

one restaurant that I personally like a lot in Oakdale is Phat Hogs BBQ & Grill tucked away deep in that shopping center on the southside of East F Street (Hwy 120).

Bad news - it has closed down, because they could not renew the lease. sad smiley

Dang! Bad news, indeed. crying
June 12, 2015 06:28AM
El Agave

next to Raley's

I think they have Super Nachos and Chicken Enchiladas.
It seems I start hearing about them on the 2nd day out
no matter how many days the trip is.

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 12, 2015 06:49AM
With respect to the Flipper Incident:

JustKeepFlipping and myself have talked about it quite a bit. Pretty much I told her
from the get-go I dunno how the heck she did it. I would have been crying to no end
and would not have wanted to have anyone touch my flipper. I would have
needed a bite stick and probably would have had to punch something during
the put-back. She screamed when The Flipper Dislocation occurred...
but after that barely a whimper. I would have wanted my mommy and a bowl of
ice cream, a warm bed, and lots of drugs to eliminate the pain.
Really I didn't do much other than not freak out and do whatever she told me to do.
I sure as heck wasn't going to touch the dislocation or look at it.
I think my original thought was something to the effect of "I don't see any bones
sticking out so there is nothing wrong... nothing to see here... let's keep going".
Followed by "I hope this doesn't ruin our trip".
Keeping a level head I believe was key. Her being so calm thru the whole
ordeal made it simple.
Was kicking myself for not mentioning the slick lichen (slippery on bottom)
to her. Felt terrible about it really.

After getting home after an incredible trip... I read up more on shoulder dislocation...
I think we did about 12 miles xcountry thru varied terrain with rain falling after the
dislocation...

Very impressed.

As always I hope that I say thank you enough.

Regards,

June 12, 2015 07:39AM
OUCH. Having dislocated my left one, I know how painful it can be. So glad that you were able to get it back in ( and women are called the weaker sex?) , not seriously hurt and you could complete your trip.
June 12, 2015 08:58AM
The tale of your dislocation is one of the more fascinating things I have read on here in recent years, glad to hear you're OK. You are a very brave and smart lady!
I'm with Chick-on, if that had been me, no way in heck I'd have handled it well: "get me a medical evac helicopter (and after a visit to the Valley medical clinic), a room at the Ahwahnee to recuperate for a week (preferably on someone else's tab) and a bottle of single malt scotch to help deaden the pain"!
Very impressive you kept your wits about you, had the training to know what to do, and were able to soldier on and finish the trip. I have newfound respect for you folks! smiling smiley
June 12, 2015 02:41PM
PineCone
a bottle of single malt scotch to help deaden the pain"!

s/bottle/case/

And preferably from Islay IMNSHO.
June 12, 2015 09:34AM
I've dislocated my shoulder a couple times and know how it feels. Just curious about your thoughts about what you would have done if you were alone with the same incident.
June 12, 2015 11:34AM
After I dislocated mine the second time, the ER doctor said that if I was ever in a place that I could not get to a doctor that I should have someone put something heavy like a bucket full of water, or if you were hiking a heavy backpack, in my hand and stand still and let the weight of the object pull it into place. You can also lie down on something and let your arm hang off the side and have a heavy weight put in your hand. I know it works because at a later time I had to do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2015 11:34AM by parklover.
June 12, 2015 09:24PM
chicagocwright
I've dislocated my shoulder a couple times and know how it feels. Just curious about your thoughts about what you would have done if you were alone with the same incident.

Great question...

The method we used to reduce my shoulder requires a second person.

I know of one way to reduce without someone manually pulling or moving the arm. However, it requires tying a weight onto the arm and lying down on a flat surface with the arm and weight hanging over the side. I believe that standing was an option, but given the time required and the pain... WFR training recommends lying someone down on their belly with the arm hanging over the side with the weight tied to their arm. Holding the weight makes it harder to relax fully, which is what you are trying to accomplish with the pull of the weight. (Parklover mentioned this technique already!)

Now.. the situation I found myself in... Just getting the pack off and not slipping off the slab... That would have been seriously difficult without assistance. I'm not sure I would have been able to do it. Honestly. Just getting the shoulder strap off that arm was difficult since a lot of the backpack weight was resting on my arm. I probably could have gritted my way into removing the pack. Maybe. I was sliding down a bit. Chick-on would be able to say how hard it was for him to hold me in place and get the pack off. That was a very painful process. And note that I could not use my right arm or hand. I couldn't move my fingers in my right hand at all. It was completely useless. And any motion hurt. And I could tell the longer I waited, the worse it would get.

By myself, I could have rummaged to find things that may have worked as weight and tie to my arm. That would have been difficult. And with on and off wet conditions, lying on the rock would have chilled me over time even with a z-rest under me and rain gear on me.

I had a satellite phone and I would have called to at least let a loved one know I was in trouble and that I was trying to reduce on my own. If I couldn't rig the traction properly, I would most likely have worked on calling for evacuation, unfortunately.

All that said, I would probably not have been in that situation in the first place. I'm a firm believer in trying to travel in groups, for just this sort of situation. Accidents can and do happen. I would not have been in as remote a location in that kind of weather if I had been traveling solo. I just don't do it. I have and probably will go solo again, but not in that kind of condition and terrain. I don't backpack to "push my limits" that way. Some may, and that's their choice.

One more thing... I do know that what we do, it has inherent risk. All I try to do is manage the risk the best I can. The WFR training is part of managing the risk. I've raced cars and ridden motorcycles on the open road. Those activities also have inherent risk, and I've been trained over the years to fully own the fact I'm putting myself into risky situations. Frankly, the daily amount of driving I do in the Bay Area is probably much riskier than what we do out in the mountains. For instance, I was rear-ended while someone else was driving and we were fully stopped. I ended up with a mild concussion and whiplash and weeks of PT and nerve pain in my arm. Most of my injuries have been front-country related. The dislocation hasn't put a damper on my love of backpacking at all. In fact, we had the lovely anniversary trip the weekend after as well. And I'm going out again for an overnighter tomorrow with some friends with whom I don't get to backpack with that often. It's like the old saying "get back on the horse" ... oh yeah, I've been tossed off a horse before too. Got the wind knocked out of me, but got right back on. The horse didn't mean to do it. I made a mistake. I wasn't upset about it, and had a great rest of the day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2015 09:25PM by JustKeepWalking.
June 15, 2015 08:13AM
The picture I have in my head is the Hollywood version where the guy slams his dislocated shoulder into a wall to put it back in.

I was in this situation playing basketball with some guys and it scared me how much it hurt. Of course I was in a situation where I could get to an ER but that probably was a mistake. They were pathetic and the Docs and PT told me afterward I should have just handled it on my own. They put me on a gurney with a weight tied to my hand and left me there 45 minutes in pain. Someone finally came in and rotated it back in and the pain was gone in an instant.
June 15, 2015 08:00PM
chicagocwright
The picture I have in my head is the Hollywood version where the guy slams his dislocated shoulder into a wall to put it back in.

I think the one I remember most vividly is the "actor" slamming his shoulder into file cabinets or something in Lethal Weapon.

Based on how far away the head of my humerus was from where it needed to be, a slam like that would have caused way more damage than the initial dislocation. Real reductions are generally smooth slowish movements.

Remember I had to have an X-ray because often during dislocation or reduction here can be bone damage??? Don't do the crazy u see on TV!

chicagocwright
Someone finally came in and rotated it back in and the pain was gone in an instant.

Yah, amazing the difference, eh? They taught us that reducing would make a huge difference in terms of pain level. No lie. One of the criteria for calling for evacuations is "how distracted is the patient?". Pain is a huge distraction. Makes it hard to focus on walking out safely. With the dislocation, I would not have been able to walk out, almost assuredly. Reduced, not a problem. Even if we'd pinched a nerve during reduction, it would have been most likely so much less pain than the dislocation, I'd have made the walk.
August 03, 2015 10:06AM
Well I have a new dislocated shoulder story that probably deserves its own thread.

Short version is I couldn't get it back in (reduced) and had to hike 10-12 miles with it out. Often I carried a large rock with my arm pointing down and somewhat double over---seemed to help manage pain. Most painful hike ever. Back at work today.
August 03, 2015 08:18PM
chicagocwright
Well I have a new dislocated shoulder story that probably deserves its own thread.

Short version is I couldn't get it back in (reduced) and had to hike 10-12 miles with it out. Often I carried a large rock with my arm pointing down and somewhat double over---seemed to help manage pain. Most painful hike ever. Back at work today.

OMG, got home during wee hours this morning. Just saw this...

I'll look for your story.. but oh boy... when mine was out ANY movement was excruciating. It might have dulled a bit... maybe... but it would have been insane pain. And you walked 10+ miles!!! Oh jeez (I want to use harder language, but...)...

I don't know how to say this.... but I'm seriously impressed!

Okay, looking for story now...
August 04, 2015 09:49AM
JustKeepWalking
chicagocwright

OMG, got home during wee hours this morning. Just saw this...

I'll look for your story.. but oh boy... when mine was out ANY movement was excruciating. It might have dulled a bit... maybe... but it would have been insane pain. And you walked 10+ miles!!! Oh jeez (I want to use harder language, but...)...

I don't know how to say this.... but I'm seriously impressed!

Okay, looking for story now...

I'll post this story publicly soon. I'm still processing it a bit but I can confirm everything that JKW just said. It was excruciating. Several times I thought a broken arm would be better because at least you could put that in a sling. A dislocated arm just kind of hangs out there...
August 04, 2015 05:38PM
chicagocwright

I'll post this story publicly soon. I'm still processing it a bit but I can confirm everything that JKW just said. It was excruciating. Several times I thought a broken arm would be better because at least you could put that in a sling. A dislocated arm just kind of hangs out there...

You must be a hockey fan too!

wink
June 15, 2015 10:39AM
JustKeepWalking
Chick-on would be able to say how hard it was for him to hold me in place and get the pack off. That was a very painful process.

It was simple.... I wasn't in any pain.

tongue sticking out smiley

June 12, 2015 07:30AM
Great reports and pics. Thanks for sharing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login