All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Daddy-Daughter trip that wasn't meant to be
June 21, 2015 07:55PM
Hey everyone, I brought my 14 year old daughter to Yosemite last week for her first extended backpacking trip. She finally begain to enjoy backpacking last summer when her summer camp took a trip on the Appalachian Trail, so I've been planning this YNP trip for us for the better part of a year. But, it didn't turn out like we planned -- the TV Guide description would be Daddy-Daughter trip not to be, stomach bug cuts plans short.

The idea was to take 7 days / 6 nights to first loop in and out of the upper GCT (in order to sleep low the first night) then back up and through TM to Cathedral, Sunrise, Cloud's Rest, and Half Dome to the Valley. A leisurely itinerary that didn't have more than 8 miles any given day. But, from the first day in she and I both were feeling what we thought was AMS, she worse than me. We made it down beyond California Falls the first night, but then it took us two days to climb out back to TM. She was in pretty good spirits under the circumstances, but her stomach just couldn't hold anything down. We took the new free shuttle from TM to the Valley to get down to 4,000 and the next day she still wasn't better, so we bailed. She ended up getting a saline IV and some meds to calm her gut. We're home and she's 90+% better now, but it was not the trip we had planned. But as I told her, Yosemite isn't going anywhere so we can always come back and do that trip another time.

We were with Chick-On and Old Dood the first day. We started out by meeting Basilbop, JKW, L and R at Mickey D's for breakfast. So nice to meet you guys! They went to Kibbie and the four of us headed to TM. We entered via Pothole:

Though we were starting to feel the affects of AMS/stomach bug, we were having a glorious time. I'm so glad Daughter found someone her own mental age to relate to: tongue sticking out smileyChick-on avec les pieds

We stopped for lunch in a familiar spot by the river, OD got to use his new chair:

The river was up nicely, from the rains a few days earlier:

This is such a beautiful area:

We stopped at the campsite Chick-On had in mind for us about halfway between California and Leconte Falls. Chick-On and Daughter and I left our packs with OD and went down to LeConte.
Our lucky timing with the temporary rain runoff resulted in quite a show for the middle of a drought:

Next day started with special pink-feathered pancakes for breakfast in the backcountry, but then as we began to climb out Daughter was sicker than the day before and we stopped for several hours at a spot along the river to feel better:

We assured OD and Chick-On we would be OK and let them get on back home on Sunday, while I carried Daughter's pack strapped to mine and we made it only to the backpacker's campground in Glen Aulin to make camp, about a 2 mile day.

The next morning we headed out with the expectation that the AMS would be largely behind us and we could pick up the rest of our itinerary:

We made it to TM, looking up at Cathedral and the area of our intended next destination:

We retrieved our food stashed in the Cathedral bear lockers and started up the trail. We got no further than a little beyond the Budd Creek trail when she decided she can't continue, so I strapped on her pack again and we bailed to the TM backpacker's campground. Next morning we grabbed the new free shuttle to the Valley, which was comfy and included a road-side bear sighting. We lounged in Curry Village for a few hours then went over to the backpacker's campground there for the night.

The next day I really thought she would be better -- we had slept at 4k, but she still wasn't better so we no longer suspected just AMS and went to the clinic, where they suspected a stomach virus. We flew in the prior Friday and hit the trail and started feeling bad on Saturday, the timing would have been right to have caught a bug on the airplane or in the airport. So we decided to head out of the park and back to civilization...a disappointing but necessary change to our plans.

Thanks to Chick-On for pancakes and showing us around and good company, and thanks Mike for unending hospitality and kindness and a mean chicken sandwich. As for the future, yes we'll try it again one day. I'm actually planning to come back out next month, and the two of us will try to get out to finish this trip soon!
Re: Daddy-Daughter trip that wasn't meant to be
June 22, 2015 09:28AM
Sorry to hear about your daughter but hopefully she's none the worse for wear. Hey, there's always next year ! My son and I really enjoyed our backpacking time together when he was that age.

Great pics by the way. I previously questioned Chick-on's judgement about water flow and the condition of the waterwheels. Silly me. Always trust the chicken.smiling smiley
June 22, 2015 05:10PM
That is to bad you had to cut your trip short. Me and my fiancé actually walked by you guys in the canyon saying just a simple hi and I remember making a comment how I thought it was cool that we passed a father daughter doing a backpacking trip together. To bad we didn't talk more, my fiancé is a pediatrician who brings way to many meds--to my displeasure as it means more weight for me to carry, on trips for just about everything imaginable. She is a bit of a worrier at times but may have been able to help and prolong the trip. Either way it's cool your daughter is into backpacking, taking my niece on her first trip later on in August.
June 22, 2015 07:29PM
yeah--we must have passed you on the use trail to Pothole Dome...as you had taken a slight detour and we re-directed you to the trail.

Sorry that your trip didn't go as planned....

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Daddy-Daughter trip that wasn't meant to be
June 23, 2015 05:12AM
Thanks all. TOT, I think that water flow was temporary from the recent rains, it should have receded within a few days. Scap, not sure you folks could have helped us much, she wasn't able to hold much of anything down for several days after that. Balzaccom, wish I'd known which was you as I've seen you on this and other forums for a few years now. The whole way around Pothole we kept finding and then losing the trail, actually "a" trail as it seemed there were many, we finally caught up with the main one in TM proper in front of Pothole.

And sorry, this should have been posted in the backpacking/hiking forum...
June 23, 2015 08:27AM
JRinGeorgia
Balzaccom, wish I'd known which was you as I've seen you on this and other forums for a few years now. The whole way around Pothole we kept finding and then losing the trail, actually "a" trail as it seemed there were many, we finally caught up with the main one in TM proper in front of Pothole.

This was us:

Only we would have been cleaner on the first day of our trip!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
June 23, 2015 07:11PM
Yes! Daughter and I both remember exactly when we crossed paths. My daughter actually thought you were a park ranger, your clothing has similar style and coloring and your hat had an "official" look to it. Whereas we probably looked like a couple of smooth-palmed city slickers smiling smiley

Next time we'll have to stop and properly introduce ourselves. Glad we at least got to pass briefly...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2015 07:11PM by JRinGeorgia.
June 23, 2015 06:19AM
Billy Joel,
Sew sorree it no workie out like ewe planned. I guess on the brite side at least
you make it down to Glen Aulin and LeConte. You gotz ur hands full wit dat one dough.
Best of luck.
Seriously, the pleasure was all mine and the answers are:
It's a lodgepole, lodgepole, lodgepole, another lodgepole, lodgepole, still a lodgepole,
and Serenity now!
smiling smiley

A few of mine fur you:

Too-all-um-eeeeee Fallz

This one is really good: Firecracker at LeConte

We no need no trail...

One in tree D

yeah it's not that great... but o well...

So... lemme just say really enjoyed my time with you and Allison. Thought of you guys last weekend while running around
chasing dragonflies and boating a bit ... def. thought of her while taking pictures of the dragonflies...
this one is for her.... although I m still not buying the adult flie only live fur 24 hours...
tongue sticking out smiley

Kindest Regards,
and
Keep on Reading (I gotz sum pictures of the flowers for alderon... but they just ok)
tongue sticking out smiley
Chick-on is looking at you!

June 23, 2015 06:21AM
O yeah, and my shirt got a few more holes in it...

crying

June 23, 2015 11:30AM
oops...

one of the better ones...

smiling smiley

(well, kids, if we want to get to LeConte we needs to go thru this.... i m just jumping in .... c u on the other side... sploosh...
2 seconds later... Allison dives in... hehehe ... in my defense... i didn't say to follow... )
rut roh

June 23, 2015 01:23PM
I approve of Allison's style! OTOH, JKW was quite upset that only a week (?) later, there was no water to slosh through in lower Glen Aulin.
June 23, 2015 07:17PM
Chick-On,

Thanks for the great pics, we had a good time even with the plans all fubar'd. A bad day in YNP is better than a great day just about anywhere else, we'll have to come back and finish the trip -- and find out what kind of tree that one is...and that one...

Always glad to share your company when you come along with me/us. I know Kibbie was beckoning, I really appreciate your hanging with us and dishing up the flapjacks. Hen with 3 chicks

Basilbop: surprised it drained away that quickly. We had fun sloshing. That is, up until the point I told Daughter to watch out for the alligators and she believed me...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2015 07:19PM by JRinGeorgia.
June 23, 2015 08:45PM
Here's the "flooded" section of Glen Aulin as of June 20:

And JKW did mention something about an alligator lizard...
June 23, 2015 09:30PM
Great shots and great story. Even the trips that don't turn out as expected somehow are (usually) fondly remembered in the rear view mirror. I hope you and Allison make it out again next year!

And watch out for that pink chick-on guy...still not sure about him...Allison may have picked up the Pink Bird flu. Its very contagious. Better check with her teachers to make sure her spelling doesn't take a turn for the worse.
June 24, 2015 08:51AM
It's always heartwarming to read such an enjoyable post about a father & daughter outing, I hope she makes it back with you next year for a healthy and fully-enjoyable trip.
June 24, 2015 09:28AM
Had to read this post carefully after reading the Subject Line and then scanning the pictures. Seemed like a great daddy-daughter trip! Sorry you didn't get to do your full plan yet but hope you make it back soon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login