Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Bishop Pass

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 23, 2015 12:03PM
My last few reports have gotten about as much response as posts that ask for area conditions and get no reply. I'll give this one more try.
Seeing all the backpacking reports here, motivated me to get back in the game. The line between day hikes and backpacking can be a bit blurry. I have done 20 mile day hikes, with x country travel. I have used a headlamp, and returned as the sky begins to light up(semi-intentionally). It was time to update my gear a bit and do some backpacking again.

I picked up a permit at Bishop and headed to South Lake. The ranger said that the clouds looked creepy, and the forecast for rain was 50%. The weather began to clear by the time I got to Long Lake. It was starting to look like a great day.

The water was flowing pretty good.

Saddlerock and Bishop Lakes were still partially frozen

There was a bit of snow at Bishop Pass. I followed some tracks that veered away from the switchbacks, and was able to stay on rock, and avoid some of the snow crossings.
I got to Dusy Basin, set up the tent and had some Chef Boyardee. I must have remembered seeing a few chef Boyardee pictures. It soon started to rain for most of the night. I got up about 5am and the rain had stopped.

I headed towards Le Conte Canyon. It rained a little bit, but soon cleared. I had wanted to see the cascades in Le Conte Canyon for some time, and they didn't disappoint.

The elevation gain on the way back would not have been fun, if this had been a long day hike. I headed back to Dusy Basin and on to Bishop Pass.
Had some hail on the way back to the pass.

I stuck to the switchbacks on the way back through the pass. One section had a steep snowy slope drop off, but enough people were going through to keep everything stable.
It turned out to be a great re-introduction to backpacking. Thanks to everyone for the motivation to do it.
June 23, 2015 12:15PM
Bowing to his greatness

Chick-on is looking at you!

Please post. I dunno y people don't respond. Especially the regulars.

Just gorgeous.
Peas

Old Dood says it's the views that count. Meh... it's about sharing and giving back and that sorta thing.
And saying thank you and maybe something about the area you should go back and see or
something like that...

and of course...

Having fun out der

(btw... have never been to Dusy) (but will some day) (thanks!)

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 23, 2015 04:44PM
Thanks Chick-on. You are always a class act.
June 23, 2015 03:55PM
I agree Thanks for posting this. We're looking to explore some of the east side later this summer. This gives us one more option to consider.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
June 23, 2015 06:20PM
Its really amazing how little snow there is out there in mid-June.
June 24, 2015 10:06AM
ttilley
Its really amazing how little snow there is out there in mid-June.

It does look a bit like August.
June 24, 2015 02:21PM
The last few years I have found myself racing to the Sierra in early June, before all the snow is gone. Seems like such a long time ago, when they would try to get the Road to Devils Postpile opened by the 4th of July weekend.
June 24, 2015 08:57PM
yosemitejim
Seems like such a long time ago, when they would try to get the Road to Devils Postpile opened by the 4th of July weekend.

They certainly made it this year. Went down there last week and it was without the usual crowds.

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/misc/sh-dsc_4959.jpg.html
June 25, 2015 08:47AM
Looks like you had a good time even with the off and on rain. Love the video clips.
July 05, 2015 09:02PM
Just did the North Lake to South Lake loop two weeks ago - Just a gorgeous area of the JMT - Lots of Mosquitoes though - Thanks for the trip report
July 07, 2015 10:47AM
Mosquitoes weren't too bad when I was up there. Talked to someone that just got back from Dusy Basin, and they said mosquitoes are really bad right now.
July 07, 2015 11:05AM
I'm sorry for the belated response, but I've been lucky enough to have been on three back-to-back trips to Yosemite, with no downtime and no computer time, and minimal phone coverage.

I enjoyed reading your post, and am looking forward to hitting Dusy Basin. On the list. Was REALLY close to it last year again, but missed again. Basilbop scooted through, IIRC.

To be honest, though the new format of the site has screwed up the pictures on my phone... I can still see them much easier while on the road than videos, so I didn't look at the videos until today..

Thank you so much for sharing. I know from personal experience it takes work to create a nice trip report, but it is very much appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to share. Hopefully you have inspired others, as you yourself were!
July 07, 2015 02:37PM
That is a good point. I always like to say that mobile devices are looking at a different internet.
July 21, 2015 09:52AM
"My last few reports have gotten about as much response as posts that ask for area conditions and get no reply."

I know exactly how you feel. My last three TRs have about as many responses....go figure.

People: IF you want to read about these trips, comment on the ones that you have read---if only to say you read it and saw the photos...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 09:53AM by balzaccom.
July 21, 2015 09:59AM
Didn't recognize the date of the posting and thought this was from the past weekend Pounding head on desk was about to run out of the office and call it a early day!
I used to bring chef boyardees (beefaroni) all the time for my dayhikes. Can't go wrong with them! Might even consider trying to dehydrate them to save some weight on longer trips.
July 21, 2015 01:00PM
Great trip report, thank you for taking the time to post! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login