Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Water availability

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Water availability
July 01, 2015 02:29PM
Hello

Any recent information about water availability in Lehamite creek and on the way from Tenaya lake to Cloud rest?
(Traveling next week)

Thanks
July 06, 2015 07:00PM
I have no specific information on those areas, hopefully someone else will chime in. I can say that the monsoon moisture seems to have freshened up some minor water flows. For example, the small tarns in the meadow at the top of Cathedral Pass are full, and there is water flowing through that meadow. The seasonal flow just west of Tuolumne Meadows campground is running, as are most but not all seasonal flows between there and Elizabeth Lake. On the south side of Nelson Pass there is no water at the first point the use trail encounters a seasonal flow but there is water shortly afterwards, Echo Creek seems to have a weak flow for this time of year but is running fine.

Not the area you're looking for, I know, but it may give some idea of the overall situation. There are nice wildflowers in water-favored areas, but they're not really widespread.
Re: Water availability
July 06, 2015 07:43PM
The thread about the hiker who got ledged out near Basket Dome suggests that there was little to no water between Yosemite Creek and North Dome--this would include Indian Canyon Creek and Lehamite Creek.

As of a few weekends ago the outlet creeks from Mildred and the Sunrise Lakes were flowing, but barely. I wouldn't rely on them. There is a small creek between the Sunrise and Forsyth junctions that is usually reliable--it was flowing late last year.
July 06, 2015 08:14PM
My 2 pence worth is that Lehemite is flowing... I would be v. surprised if it wasn't...

But I've been known to be right every once in awhiles.

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 07, 2015 06:04AM
Yes not much between Yosemite Falls toward North Dome. Did my first hike of the year few weeks back coming up Yosemite Falls, heading over toward Eagle Peak and El Cap and then back to North Dome to Mt Watkins then down Snow Creek. Couple nights at that great plateau under Basket Dome staring at Clouds Rest and Half Dome. Water was mostly non existent but coming by what I think was Porcupine Creek there was water there and in Snow Creek of course. Few trickles on trail up toward Watkins in the marshy areas. Will post pics when home next weekend. Thanks for the experts on this forum for advice that got me doing the backpacks. You guys are pros and have opened a lot of people up to one of the most beautiful spots on earth.

Ted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2015 06:05AM by Tedbay.
July 08, 2015 08:10PM
The unnamed lake/pond between Sunrise Lakes and Clouds Rest was in great shape on July 5, as were several creeks around that area. However, there was a significant rain event on July 2/3 that helped everywhere, but it's been dry since and things are drying up again. Sunrise Creek in the area south of the 0.5 miles of trail between the Half Dome and Clouds Rest trails was flowing very well today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2015 08:11PM by Justin-T.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login