Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Overnight/Day hikes in and around Yosemite, late August, Early September

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Overnight/Day hikes in and around Yosemite, late August, Early September
July 08, 2015 12:49PM
Hello Everyone, I will be in Yosemite from Aug. 26th to Sep. 4th. 27, 28, 29 I will be in LYV via Glacier Point, hopefully finally getting Half Dome out of the way and a couple of other hikes out of LYV, Clouds Rest, Diving Board, Liberty Cap. I am looking for another overnight-er and/or a couple of nice day hikes for the rest of my time there.

I did May Lake/Mt Hoffman last year during the Meadow Fire (the second time I was supposed to do Half Dome. The first time was in July and it started storming when I got to sub dome and had to turn around). I have also hiked up to Yosemite Point.

I was thinking maybe Glen Aulin on an overnight-er, get up the next day and head down river and check out some waterfalls. I am also thinking about maybe heading over to Hike up Dana and I will be heading to The Merced Grove for a short hike.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
avatar Re: Overnight/Day hikes in and around Yosemite, late August, Early September
July 10, 2015 08:50PM
I like the idea of heading up to Tuolumne Meadows...but waterfalls at and below Glen Aulin might be underwhelming that late in the season, with the lack of snow (although if the rain and snow of the last week keep up that could change). I like the Dana idea, you might also consider Cathedral Lake, Elizabeth Lake, Gaylor Lakes, or Young Lakes (all day hikes).
July 20, 2015 10:14PM
I was in Emigrant two weeks ago, and the streams were looking pretty sad. We saw water more or less only where USGS said it could be found, and even then many of the smaller creeks were starting to stagnate. We did get a bit of rain the first day, but it didn't make much difference. I don't think waterfalls will be a worthwhile destination in the late season this year... unless you're one of those crazy folks who like to climb them.

A few years ago I camped on the north side of Tuolumne Peak. This is a beautiful little spot, with two nice little lakes and sweeping views. As far as I could tell, the way to the summit is class 2. You should be able to do the whole thing in one night. And the trailhead (Murphy Creek, I think) was not too hard to get.
July 24, 2015 02:12PM
Thanks for the info.

Has anyone ever done Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley via this route?

Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley Everytrail

Two 14 mile days but I think I can handle it. I did Half Dome in a day last year. Maybe even drag it out to three days?
avatar Re: Overnight/Day hikes in and around Yosemite, late August, Early September
July 24, 2015 05:51PM
You can't go wrong with that route...it's a classic! Once you climb the couple thousand feet to Tuolumne Pass, its a downhill cruise to the valley for the most part. You have done Half Dome so you know the steepest part of thye downhill at the end...I bring that up since some people (like my wife with her bad knees) like ups more than downs.

Those 2 14 miles days will each be much easier than your Half Dome day, so should be no problem.

Alternates on that route...go up to Vogelsang Lake and down Lewis Creek to Merced Lake. And once in Echo Valley head up to Clouds Rest and back down to LYV (on that last part don't expect any water once you leave Echo, until you get back to LYV).

Another alternative...start towards Cathedral Lakes and then down to Merced Lake from there. Maybe a little cross country side trip to Matthes Lake if you don't mind some easy route finding. Matthes is spectacular.

Just some thoughts.
August 12, 2015 07:50AM
Thanks for the info, I will let you know how it goes!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login