Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Ten Lakes Basin

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Ten Lakes Basin
July 14, 2015 10:03PM
We have reservation for Ten Lakes trail first week of Aug. Rather than looping through to May Lake, and scarce water on the way, thought we might camp around basin for a few days, fish and do day hikes and return back same way via Yosemite Creek. Any reasonable way to access Toulumne River/Grand Canyon or other off trail day hikes from basin?

I was at Young Lakes a few weeks ago and mosquitos were intolerable. Will they be that bad at Ten Lakes? Grant Lakes? Maybe spend a night or two where trail crosses S. Fork of Cathedral Creek?

Thanks.
July 15, 2015 11:59AM
I wouldn't plan on getting to the Tuolumne River from Ten Lakes--it's a very steep descent and there are many opportunities to end up in endless shrubbery or to get cliffed out. You could probably spend a day exploring the various lakes in the basin, and perhaps another exploring along the crest heading west--the views from Colby Mountain and "Gorge" Mountain to the north of it are spectacular, and the Double Rock area is worth checking out.

OTOH, I'd stick with the plan to go to Ten Lakes and exit via May--South Fork Cathedral is worth checking out, and the views from the "Tuolumne Tarns" area are excellent. I think you'll be able to get water at South Fork (perhaps with some searching for a pool) and the tarns themselves.

As for mosquitoes, it's hard to say--South Fork itself can be terrible, as can be Ten Lakes--but it depends a lot on the lake--they are worse in wooded areas with stagnant water than open granite. Unfortunately more rain is on the way which will prolong mosquito season...
July 15, 2015 12:13PM
@basilbop Turns out after >5 years of missed attempts I will finally be spending this weekend in the Ten Lakes area introducing my (adult) son to Yosemite for the first time. It's unusual for me to set up base camp but for this trip will be spending two nights in Ten Lakes. In addition to exploring the (7) lakes the views and "double rock" sound like fun. Are there any tracks/details available to help plan?

Will be entering at Lukens Lake TH due to permit issues. Will probably exit Ten Lakes TH just to avoid backtracking. Thanks.

Edit: Returned from a great visit to Ten Lakes basin. Was able to do a bit of research with the suggestions (named places) above. The hike up to Grand Mountain is a lot of fun. I didn't know it had a name! Exploring all 7 lakes is always fun. Spectacular views - too bad there's no way down to GCT from this side. Can't recommend this trip for beginners or relaxing short-stay trip, setting up "base camp" for exploring, fishing, swimming (boating?).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 03:53PM by ags.
August 04, 2015 12:45PM
Thanks much for your info. We looped Ten Lakes through May Lake as you suggested and glad we did. Plenty of water all along the route and no mosquitos. The regular every half hour free shuttle doesn't stop at Yosemite Creek/Ten Lakes trailhead so waited for hiker shuttle which only passes a couple times a day. Note to anyone wanting to overnight at Raisen Lake instead of crowded but scenic May Lake, its not marked and easy to miss.
August 04, 2015 05:50PM
Good info thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login