Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Getting to Tenaya Lake

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Getting to Tenaya Lake
July 18, 2015 01:14PM
I'm making my first trip to Yosemite in late September/Early October. I'm spending a couple of days backpacking from Sunrise Lakes to Little Yosemite Valley. I plan on taking YARTS into Yosemite Village from Fresno, but I'm not sure how to get to Tenaya Lake from there. It looks like the buses and shuttles won't be traveling through Tioga Road by this time. Any suggestions?
avatar Re: Getting to Tenaya Lake
July 18, 2015 01:50PM
Are the dates firm, or is that only the general timeframe you're planning your trip?

The reason I ask is because YARTS will still traveling up Tioga Road through Tuolumne Meadows to and from Mammoth on the weekends until the end of September. Their last day of service along Tioga Road will be Sunday, September 27th.

So if you could arrange your backpacking trip for that weekend, you could still take YARTS up to Tuolumne Meadows, but your might need to schedule an extra day at backpackers camp because YARTS will have only one trip from Yosemite Valley to Mammoth that leaves at 5:00 PM on the weekends in September.

July 18, 2015 07:12PM
Hitchhike ? If you do, displaying a sign of your destination might help.
July 18, 2015 08:39PM
The Other Tom
Hitchhike ? If you do, displaying a sign of your destination might help.

I've certainly given such rides.
July 19, 2015 11:38AM
Yeah, the dates are set. I have read some stuff about hitchhiking around Yosemite, but I didn't know how common this was. I was just worried about not finding a way to tenaya lake.
July 20, 2015 06:53PM
I just returned from an "open jaw" hike in Yosemite. Entered Lukens Lake TH and exited Ten Lakes TH (permit issues). Needed a ride from Ten Lakes TH to Lukens Lake TH. It had just started to rain, which may have had something to do with it, but I had no problem getting a ride within 10 minutes. I did have many vehicles with one passenger and 4+ seats just keep passing by. I had one SUV with a (foreign (non-US)) family screech the brakes to turn around and offer a ride. "No empty seats" I said. "We can put the kids on our lap, or in the back. We can help you." I passed the offer (confident of another option that would not be so imposing on the generous driver) and ended up catching a ride from a fellow that was just a few steps behind us on the trail out.

There are two schools of thought, both make sense (to me):

1) Have your backpack on/nearby, stick out a thumb. You'll get a ride from fellow hikers that "feel the pain".
2) Take your pack off. If there are others in your party, separate. Stick out a thumb. The theory here is that you're only seen as asking for "one seat's worth" of space in the vehicle - not you, your companions and all your (smelly) stuff.

I've used both techniques, successfully. With option #2, I do keep my hiking poles with me, at least identifying me as someone that hikes (or owns poles)! I regularly pick up hikers when crossing the Sierra. I can't remember when I didn't get some interesting story or interaction.

Good luck.
July 24, 2015 08:27PM
ags
I did have many vehicles with one passenger and 4+ seats just keep passing by.

1. Not everyone is comfortable picking up hitch hikers.
  2. I've often passed them by simply because I wasn't going very far.
July 25, 2015 11:08PM
ags
I did have many vehicles with one passenger and 4+ seats just keep passing by. I had one SUV with a (foreign (non-US)) family screech the brakes to turn around and offer a ride.

American tourists, so paranoid. I've had better luck with foreigners, German and Italian so far. Climbers or hikers are more likely to stop, or even off-duty rangers. Look for Subarus.
July 25, 2015 11:42AM
I feel much more comfortable with this now. I am guessing I will hoof it and hope someone gives me a ride most of the way. Thanks guys
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login