Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Cathedral Dayhike

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Cathedral Dayhike
August 07, 2015 03:14PM
Probably gonna start from Elizabeth Lake, head up Althuski. Question is: once on that ridge/saddle, how difficult is it to go around Cockscomb to get the clean views of Matthes Crest? Or would it be better to drop down to Budd Lake area first, then back up? Or go down to Nelson, head west to Matthes Lake, then back north to the saddle between Comb and Echos? Either way, looks like tons of scramble and steep slabs.

Which views of the Crest are better: from north (Comb/Echos saddle), or from south (Echo/Matthes saddle via Cathedral Pass, on trail)? Any suggestions/edits would be great, thanks.
August 09, 2015 11:45PM
Hi,

Getting around Cockscomb isn't bad.
We found it fairly easy to follow the ridge from Althuski to near Cockscomb.
Once near Cockscomb, there is a trail that follows around to the left. It was fairly straight forward and not all steep.

We dropped into the Budd Lake area from the Comb/Echo saddle. It did not look like an entirely friendly descent earlier.

I cannot comment on where the view of the crest is better. I enjoyed the view from the comb/echo saddle but have not seen the other views you reference.

Regards,
August 10, 2015 08:42AM
Personally I like the views of the crest from the top (north) end of the crest, looking south along the crest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2015 08:43AM by Bearproof.
August 10, 2015 06:36PM
Bearproof
Personally I like the views of the crest from the top (north) end of the crest, looking south along the crest.

This viewpoint was one of the goals the past two weekends. Didn't get quite find our way up there. Got some nice views (and hail/rain) last week. Yesterday was much better, made it to Matthes Lake. Clmbed a bit up that slope that has Nelson on the other side. Observed some climbers on the crest from Echo Lake, then later saw some folks go up Eichorn. A few photos coming up.
August 10, 2015 11:42AM
Around Cockscomb is trivial from Althuski...
ahem... may have just been der... hehehe

Althuski is a rubble pile tho...

get on the crest from there... and walk out on it a bit...

sumtin like dis:

then either go over Wilts Col (pretty sure that's the name b/t Echo Ridge and Echo Peaks)...
or dump down to Echo Lake and up to Cath Pass...

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 10, 2015 11:54AM
He is asking about getting around the peak called the Cockscomb...not that red thing on your pink head!
August 10, 2015 12:01PM
Bearproof
He is asking about getting around the peak called the Cockscomb...not that red thing on your pink head!

If eye just walk around him... it not da same?

tongue sticking out smiley

August 10, 2015 07:03PM
Who cares about the Egyptian ones when there's Althuski?

All hail was about the break loose in about 30 minutes. Lightning and rain joined the party too.

Clouds Rest given the finger

Clark says "L'echo my echo" (I should write for Kimmel)

Two reach Eichorn summit

Monastery summiters reap the rewards

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2015 07:23PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
August 10, 2015 08:35PM
You went the wrong way... and asked on a Friday... sheesh

Am out there on Friday...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login