All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Options for late March / early April trip
August 10, 2015 03:33AM
Good morning,

Apologies in advance if the like has been posted before!

First, I should note that I'm reasonably experienced (having trekked in New Zealand, Australia, Myanmar, England and Scotland) but have never been to Yosemite.

Ideally I would like to do a multi day (perhaps 2-3 day) hike, starting in Yosemite Valley, but am flexible with regards to the starting point. I know it is a difficult time of year (esp. for routes in the mid/higher passages) but can anyone perhaps suggest or recommend a trail that may be possible in late March/early April?

Thanks guys smiling smiley

David.
avatar Re: Options for late March / early April trip
August 10, 2015 06:49AM
What's your snow camping experience? I think only Hetch Hetchy to Rancheria Falls is likely to not have accumulated snow by then (though it could snow at those elevations it'd likely melt in a few days).

At that time, from the west, the Tioga Road will be closed. The road to Hetch Hetchy would be open (except maybe short closure if it snows for plowing), the Valley would be open, and the Glacier Point road is plowed to Badger Pass - at least, as long as Badger Pass remains open, typically it closes around the end of March. Beyond Badger Pass its groomed out to Glacier Point.

If you're thinking late March and NOT early April, and wanted a hut, you could try the lottery for the Ostrander Ski Hut, that's a nice place, though the trip is somewhat long, 10 miles or so over snow, six or so cross-country.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2015 06:51AM by ttilley.
Re: Options for late March / early April trip
August 11, 2015 03:04AM
ttilley
What's your snow camping experience? I think only Hetch Hetchy to Rancheria Falls is likely to not have accumulated snow by then (though it could snow at those elevations it'd likely melt in a few days).

At that time, from the west, the Tioga Road will be closed. The road to Hetch Hetchy would be open (except maybe short closure if it snows for plowing), the Valley would be open, and the Glacier Point road is plowed to Badger Pass - at least, as long as Badger Pass remains open, typically it closes around the end of March. Beyond Badger Pass its groomed out to Glacier Point.

If you're thinking late March and NOT early April, and wanted a hut, you could try the lottery for the Ostrander Ski Hut, that's a nice place, though the trip is somewhat long, 10 miles or so over snow, six or so cross-country.

Thanks for this, ttilley. I'll look into it.

I have limited winter camping experience - only a couple of times in NZ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2015 03:05AM by yor2015.
August 10, 2015 08:26AM
I agree. Worse yet is if we get the El Nino we are hoping for causing 10' of snow then I doubt there will be much of anything except snowshoeing or skiing at that time of year.
The trail into Rancheria is at about 4K' + a bit and pretty far west with a southern exposure so it stays pretty clear. It could be butt cold at night too so even with no snow at Rancheria you would have to be prepared for winter camping with proper bags and clothing. Have some sort of traction devices for you boots as things can be very icy that time of year.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2015 05:48AM by mrcondron.
August 10, 2015 08:39AM
Hey David

Late March/Early April is one of my annual trips from the Badger Pass ski area to Dewey point...an easy snowshoe where we typically spend a couple of nights hanging out enjoying the views. Unfortunately, with the extremely dry winters that we have had recently, the past few years have been backpacking trips to other parts of the park. The high country this past March/April looked like a normal July in my opinion...dry...dry...dry...trip report here. . Pretty much anything was accessible. So a trip similar to my report might be a good option for you if it is dry.

That being said, it appears (fingers crossed) that with the big El Nino forming in the Pacific, which affects our weather, we will be having a "normal" winter, which means that most of the high country could be under 5 to 15 feet of snow. But, if it is like last year, zero to 1 foot of snow. So I guess that I am saying that it is hard to tell right now. And that time of year you might have to revise or cancel a planned trip at the last minute due to a big storm.

As mentioned by ttilley, your best bet if you really want to be in Yosemite would be to plan on skiing or snowshoeing. And if the weather gods give us another dry year, then you might be able to walk. Its just so hard to say right now.

If you are going to be in the Northern California area then, there are certainly plenty of hikes that could be done if Yosemite is not appealing (too much snow, for example) at that time. And perhaps let us know if a snow adventure would be to your liking??
Re: Options for late March / early April trip
August 11, 2015 03:16AM
Bearproof
Hey David

Late March/Early April is one of my annual trips from the Badger Pass ski area to Dewey point...an easy snowshoe where we typically spend a couple of nights hanging out enjoying the views. Unfortunately, with the extremely dry winters that we have had recently, the past few years have been backpacking trips to other parts of the park. The high country this past March/April looked like a normal July in my opinion...dry...dry...dry...trip report here. . Pretty much anything was accessible. So a trip similar to my report might be a good option for you if it is dry.

That being said, it appears (fingers crossed) that with the big El Nino forming in the Pacific, which affects our weather, we will be having a "normal" winter, which means that most of the high country could be under 5 to 15 feet of snow. But, if it is like last year, zero to 1 foot of snow. So I guess that I am saying that it is hard to tell right now. And that time of year you might have to revise or cancel a planned trip at the last minute due to a big storm.

As mentioned by ttilley, your best bet if you really want to be in Yosemite would be to plan on skiing or snowshoeing. And if the weather gods give us another dry year, then you might be able to walk. Its just so hard to say right now.

If you are going to be in the Northern California area then, there are certainly plenty of hikes that could be done if Yosemite is not appealing (too much snow, for example) at that time. And perhaps let us know if a snow adventure would be to your liking??

Wow, it looked unseasonably dry and warm last March! I'm not going to lie, but, if it's the same again next year, we'd very much welcome it... (sorry guys!)

However, with El Nino looking possible, I think it'd be wise if I start planning for the worst case scenario... I'll go away and do some more research and doubtless come back with more questions!

Thanks all.
August 10, 2015 11:57AM
Yellow,
This one simple. Late March... What you do... is get urself a room at the Lodge...
and then you dayhike up Yosemite Falls...
and then you dayhike up to top o Nevada Fall...
and then you take shuttle to Badger Pass... and you
dayhike to Dewey Point...

(you haven't been to Yosemite... so... that is my best advice)
Z wifie and my anniversary is end o March... and we have had lots of snow and
no snow and some snow... you never snow.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 10, 2015 11:58AM
Of course there's stuff where you just hike around the valley...

Bridalveil
Lower Yosemite
Mirror Lake

Dew doz too...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login