Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hiking from a trail off the 120 (eastern side) into Valley - need trails

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hi there,
I'm trying to plan a big day hike into the Yosemite Valley to meet up with some family. I'd like to park at a trailhead off the 120 (will be entering from the Eastern entrance) and walk down for a big day hike.

I think from Sunrise TH/Tenaya Lake I can do Cloud's Rest and make it down into the valley (Little Yosemite Valley?), and am trying to gauge the mileage. I feel like I've pieced together a trip that looked to be about 10-12, but in other places, I see it is 17 miles one way.

Also, looking for any other recommnedations. I won't be carrying any of my heavier camping items (except water), so should be able to cover some miles, although 17 seems a bit much. That mileage in one day can stop being fun at a certain point. I'm looking more like 8-12 miles, give or take.

Please advise!! Thanks everyone!
Amanda
August 11, 2015 10:16AM
I did the hike from Tenaya Lake to Yosemite Valley when my family dropped me off early in the morning and I met them late afternoon in Yosemite Valley (not "Little"winking smiley. I think my hike was 21 miles but I included Half Dome.

I had it as 7 miles to Clouds Rest, 7 miles to Half Dome, and 7 miles to Yosemite Valley.

Here is a silly video I took along the trip.

Hi! So without Half Dome I guess you shave a few miles off the trip you took. I wouldn't be attempting Half Dome this trip. Thanks for this!
August 11, 2015 09:27PM
Would be a shame to miss the Quarter Domes, if going to Valley via Sunrise/CloudsRest. Looking down into Tenaya CaƱon is always a thrill. Doing it from the Q's is unique and worthwhile.
August 12, 2015 06:13PM
Be aware that the Yosemite Falls Trail is closed right now due to a small fire near the top of the falls. Check before you go.

Definitely swing over to the Quarter Domes if you do that hike. You can just traverse over to the Quarter Domes from the correct switchback on the trail, or you can come up along the trail that goes to the cables, but then head right as you approach the valley rim. It's easy, open country there.
avatar Re: Hiking from a trail off the 120 (eastern side) into Valley - need trails
August 11, 2015 01:33PM
I agree with Mr. Wright...24 miles including Half Dome. No Half Dome...remove about 4 miles, so its 20, maybe a little less if you take the Mist Trail down from Nevada Falls, rather than the JMT.

A very good alternative would be to start at the old quarry, head down to the top of Mt Watkins and then over to the Snow Creek Trail. If you have had enough head down Snow Creek, if you want amore you can skirt the North Rim of the Valley, see North Dome and go down the Yosemite Falls Trail. Depending on what you decide to do that route could be anywhere from 10 to 20 miles.
Thanks Bearproof! Yes, I think on the Mist Trail you shave a few off - something like 17-20 miles. Like I mentioned, I've hiked that many miles in a day before, but it's sort of a pain in the behind. I wonder since it's an overall elevation loss if that would shave some time/energy off (except my poor feet and knees probably won't care).

I did have Snowcreek in mind and ultimately down the Yosemite Falls trail. I'll look more into the route you proposed here, sounds like there are lots of mileage options.

I'm hoping to park my car at TH and then either get a combination of shuttles back, or have my family take me back up.
avatar Re: Hiking from a trail off the 120 (eastern side) into Valley - need trails
August 11, 2015 08:17PM
pennonthetrail
Hi there,
I'm trying to plan a big day hike into the Yosemite Valley to meet up with some family. I'd like to park at a trailhead off the 120 (will be entering from the Eastern entrance) and walk down for a big day hike.

I think from Sunrise TH/Tenaya Lake I can do Cloud's Rest and make it down into the valley (Little Yosemite Valley?), and am trying to gauge the mileage. I feel like I've pieced together a trip that looked to be about 10-12, but in other places, I see it is 17 miles one way.

Also, looking for any other recommnedations. I won't be carrying any of my heavier camping items (except water), so should be able to cover some miles, although 17 seems a bit much. That mileage in one day can stop being fun at a certain point. I'm looking more like 8-12 miles, give or take.

Please advise!! Thanks everyone!
Amanda

Sunrise Trailhead to Happy Isle including Clouds Rest is 15.5 miles going down the Mist Trail. +2k up to Clouds Rest and -6K from Clouds Rest to Happy Isle. Forget Half Dome as you would need a permit anyway. After Clouds Rest Half Dome is a bit of a yawner as far as views go.

Coming down the Yosemite Creek Trail from 120 is about 11.5 miles with -4K down to the valley floor.

From Olmstead Point to the Ahwahnee Hotel via Snow Creek Trail is 10.5 miles with -4.5k.

There are other options of mixing routes from 120 to the valley floor but these are the basics. If you have all day I'd opt for the Clouds Rest route. Go slow and budget about 10 hoiurs.

Old Dude

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 07:54PM by mrcondron.
Thank you MRCONDRON! This is great information. So you're calculating 15.5 miles for Mist Trail. That seems much more doable than 20 (or maybe the better word is enjoyable). I'm going to look into all of these.

And thanks for the fire update. Ultimately I'll call the ranger as well to make sure where I want to go is open. Thanks everyone. Still open to ideas. smiling smiley

ap
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login