Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Advice Hoover/Northern Yosemite Loop

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Advice Hoover/Northern Yosemite Loop
August 15, 2015 04:38PM
Off to backpack in the Hoover and Northern Yosemite area next week: out of Twin Lakes, looping through Matterhorn canyon, Benson lake, back through Kerrick canyon.

- Anyone know what is the water availability from the creeks in the area in this drought year?
- Advice on doing the loop Clockwise or Counterclockwise?
- Taking 7 days to do the loop, would love a basecamp day with good day exploration. Recommendations?

Thanks!
elicali
avatar Re: Advice Hoover/Northern Yosemite Loop
August 15, 2015 05:44PM
Well, this was pretty much that loop about 6 weeks ago. Plenty of water then, I think that you will be OK water wise.

Trip report here.

You are smart to do it in a "week or so"...we did it much too fast.

Here is another TR that might give you some ideas
August 19, 2015 07:57PM
Gorgeous pics in your TR, but ambitious hiking mileage! Taking my time over a week is more my speed.
August 15, 2015 08:09PM
We did it counter clockwise a few years ago....and that way you get to hike UP fabulous Matterhorn Canyon towards the Sawtooth range,. I'd miss that hiking the other direction.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
August 19, 2015 07:55PM
Counter clockwise is the direction I have mainly read trip reports doing... looks like easier with heavy packs too by doing burro pass towards the end of the trip.

Thanks for the advice!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login