Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: North Rim or Vogelsang?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

North Rim or Vogelsang?
August 24, 2015 11:51AM
Have a permit that will take me in at Yosemite Creek and out at Porcupine Creek and would be visiting El Capitan/Eagle Peak and then over to North Dome/Indian Rock before heading out. Sort of a mini north rim tour.

If they have a permit available, I've also considered going in at Sunrise, heading to Merced Lake, up over Vogelsang and then out at TM. In either case, would be 4 days on trail (3 nights).

Have wanted to do both trips but am wondering if either is clearly more impressive than the others so I can prioritize.

I've day-hiked North Dome/Indian Rock before from Porcupine Creek and also Yosemite Falls from the Valley. I've backpacked the first part of the Sunrise TH on the way to Cloud's Rest and have also backpacked Lyell on my JMT trip. So, some of this will be repeat adventure.

Also, if doing the Sunrise trip, there is an option of either heading south on the JMT from Sunrise HSC before cutting over to Merced Lake or can head north on JMT from Sunrise HSC for a bit and following a trail that goes along Cathedral Fork/Echo Creek and meets up w/ the Merced Lake trail. Not sure if anyone has a recommendation on which is more interesting.
avatar Re: North Rim or Vogelsang?
August 24, 2015 02:15PM
Water might be scarce on the north rim side. There will be at least pools along Yosemite Creek. Get current info or carry enough for two days.

The MercedVolgelsang trip would have lakes all along the way.

Which is more interesting? The south side is interesting and has water.

Old Dude
August 25, 2015 06:24AM
Vogelsang. Hands down.
August 25, 2015 03:03PM
tanngrisnir3
Vogelsang. Hands down.

I'll double down on that. Vogelsang for sure.
avatar Re: North Rim or Vogelsang?
August 26, 2015 02:49PM
Both are good, but I vote for Vogelsang as well. The North Rim can be done at other times of the season when the higher country is locked up in snow. Its a good early season trip, going in from the Big Oak Flat Road/Foresta turnoff and coming out Snow Creek. And there is more water to be found on it early season than you will find now.
September 01, 2015 04:04PM
So, I checked on Sunrise when I arrived. It was full, but Cathedral had one spot open so I took it...otherwise same basic itinerary. Added about 4-5 miles to my first day but well worth it. Agree w/ the comment about doing north rim in early season. I had originally wanted to do that around Memorial Day but couldn't break free, so will save it for next year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login