Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Proper tent to bring?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 28, 2015 08:58AM
I'm wondering which tent is appropriate for me to bring backpacking north of the tioga road. We'll be backpacking/camping at May lake, somewhere near the south fork of the Tuolumne at base of Tuolumne Peak, and also at the Ten Lakes basin. Is it all hard granite surface? Should I go for the tent that doesn't have to be staked? My smaller, lighter tent is the one I hoped to bring, but it has an 'A' frame entrance and back that relies on guy lines and stakes to hold it up. Would be no bueno if there isn't some soft surface to depend on. Any advice would be very helpful!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2015 08:59AM by jizdepski.
avatar Re: Proper tent to bring?
August 28, 2015 09:44AM
Bring the smaller one. There are plenty of non-granite areas there. And even if you find the perfect camp site on a granite slab, you can anchor the guy wires with some rocks.

And if the weather is nice, you can always sleep out under the stars!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2015 09:45AM by Bearproof.
avatar Re: Proper tent to bring?
August 28, 2015 09:51AM
Thank you. Bringing a hammock in addition to the tent...conditions look great early next week.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login